Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 11-17-2010, 02:52 PM   #1
rachelrosen
rachelrosen began at the beginning.

Device: none
Bookbaby.com

Hi, long time lurker, new poster. I submit my books directly to Amazon and Pubit! and use SW to get into the other stores. I'm not tech savvy, so I appreciate the options out there to just upload my docs and make them almost immediately available for sale.
I've done very well with SW in the Apple store, but saw that bookbaby.com (an authorized Apple aggregator) offers much quicker sales reporting and payments, plus, after a nominal upfront fee, will deliver all royalties to the author without taking a percentage.

Has anyone else who has decided not to use the direct route into the Ibookstore used them, and if so, are you happy (or not) with the result? Thank you.
rachelrosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 02:53 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, rachelrosen

When you get a chance, use the 'introduce myself' link below, start a new thread, and join us.

Good luck with your book.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2010, 08:21 AM   #3
kcmay
Addict
kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2
Thanks for mentioning bookbaby.com. I hadn't heard of it before, so I took a quick look. The $49 fee per book with an annual fee of $19 turns me off, because I can get into the iBookstore via Smashwords for no out-of-pocket cost. I did not see on the site where it says you get faster reports than with Smashwords. I only found the statement, "Once we owe you that amount, we'll issue payment the following Monday." That doesn't mean Apple reports sales to bookbaby any faster than it reports to SW.

Personally, I'd rather pay someone a "commission" per sale than a flat fee because I don't know how successful my book will be in the iBookstore. If I were selling so many books through Smashwords that the commission amounted to more than $50 the first year and $20 per year after that, I'd consider it. For now, I'm sticking with SW.
kcmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 02:38 PM   #4
rachelrosen
rachelrosen began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi, kcmay, thank you for taking the time to respond.

Right, it seems that they used to have on their site "get paid every week!" which I wondered about since Apple only reports monthly. Now they only have that written on their Face Book page, not the website.
rachelrosen is offline   Reply With Quote