Notices

Old 05-24-2010, 09:09 PM   #1
SmartyPants
Zealot
SmartyPants began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
Books made into movies

What is your general opinion of this?
I tend to read a book first.. and if i like it, it is doubtful the movie will live up to my expectations!
Eg Lolita... i hated the movies, all of them. I dont think it is possible to translate Nabokov's writing style into a movie successfully.

I did, however, like Clockwork Orange - book AND movie. Lovely Bones were great as well.

It also annoys me to no end when the movie is made based on some more or less obscure book, and practically no credit is given to book author.

So what are your examples of a good or not so good book to movie transition?

SmartyPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 10:13 PM   #2
ImogenRose
PORTAL
ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (3G), iPhone
I liked the movie version of Clockwork Orange better than the book. I thought both versions of Memoirs of a Geisha were great. Perfume.. liked the book, not so much the movie. Twilight, loved both versions.
ImogenRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 02:11 AM   #3
AgentBEATS
Connoisseur
AgentBEATS began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Nintendo DS, HTC Desire
I find it rare that a movie adaption of book is ever as good. Of course there are times when it is, but most often than not it just cannot live up to the original material.

I think that applies to any sort of adaption really. Usually a good source material when trying to be adapted into other mediums loses somethings in the transition resulting in mixed results.

Most of the time, I find myself preferring whatever version it is that I experience first. That is unless the other versions are just that much better to overwrite my original opinions. So if I read a book first, chances are I will think that the book is better than the movie. Even particularly good movie versions sometimes lose out to the book just because it is not always possible to fit everything into a movie.

That being said I don't think I've seen many books into movies, or at least with books that I have read.

The Harry Potter movies are hit and miss I find. Enjoyable if you are a fan, but again when they start varying the source material it just doesn't feel right.

I throughly enjoyed the Lord of the Rings movies, however it has been some time since I read the originals so I do not know how much I can stack them up against each other.

I disliked the movie versions of the Twilight series very, very much. Of course I absolutely hated the books so I guess that was a given. Even so the books are far more tolerable(to an extent) than the horrible acting in the movies.
AgentBEATS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 02:25 AM   #4
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Having recently read and loved 'Gone with the Wind' when it was an MR Book Club choice, I then watched the film for the first time and thought that was excellent too.

A rotten film of a great book is the 1962 version of 'The Day of the Triffids'.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 12:43 PM   #5
cearbhallain
Groupie
cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook
The Man Who Fell to Earth is an example of a movie that while different from the book, is a very good compliment to the book. By which I mean they go together well.

The Ninth Gate is probably better than the book which inspired it - the Club Dumas. I don't know because I got a bit bored with the book and stopped reading with about 1/5 of the book remaining. To be fair(er) the movie only deals with part of the book's plot.
cearbhallain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 12:53 PM   #6
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by cearbhallain View Post
The Ninth Gate is probably better than the book which inspired it - the Club Dumas. I don't know because I got a bit bored with the book and stopped reading with about 1/5 of the book remaining. To be fair(er) the movie only deals with part of the book's plot.
Agreed. I do like the book, except for the ending - it's just plain silly and a bit of a letdown. Well, the end of the movie is a little silly as well, but not as much.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 12:59 PM   #7
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
I think Merchant/Ivory's adaptations of three of E. M. Forster's novels, "Room with a view", "Maurice" and "Howards End" are fully as good as the books. Perhaps it's also because I think Forster's writing lends itself well to adaptation, for example his dialogue works very well with very little change.

One film adaptation that some people probably feel a little "religious" about is "The Lord of the Rings". I personally find that the film is a highly successful adaptation of a book most would think very difficult to adapt. Whether or not it's better, can be discussed.

I think the film "Blade Runner" improves on the original. I don't find the short story "Do androids dream of electric sheep" nearly as interesting and engaging as the film.

.... and now I've just mentioned three of my absolute favourite films (Maurice, Blade Runner, LOTR).
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 01:16 PM   #8
Trini
Connoisseur
Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs650
I love the Lord of the Rings movie adaptations. That's some of the best ones. I also love Pride and Prejudice 1995 version. The To Kill a MockingBird movie while good was too concise, should have been longer thereby capturing more of the book.
Trini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 01:18 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I did read I am Legend after seeing the movie. Both were good. But the movie was just that much different.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 01:26 PM   #10
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
I think the film "Blade Runner" improves on the original. I don't find the short story "Do androids dream of electric sheep" nearly as interesting and engaging as the film.
I agree with that; and in a similar vein, I thought 'A.I.' was a good SF short story adaptation.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 01:43 PM   #11
cearbhallain
Groupie
cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post

.... and now I've just mentioned three of my absolute favourite films (Maurice, Blade Runner, LOTR).
DADOES is a novel, and a very complex one. I think it's one of Dick's five best. Bladerunner is a work of art in its own right, and one of my favorite movies, but much like my earlier Tevis example - it's not a very faithful adaptation. It's more like an exploration of one of the book's themes. You'd need a mini-series to get things like Mercerism and mood organs right - You wouldn't happen to know what von Trier's up to these days? I bet he could do it right

Oh, and since we're talking Dick, some of his short stories and novels have inspired some truly enjoyable films:

Total Recall - from We Can Remember it for you Wholesale
A Scanner Darkly - reasonably faithful, excellent use of rotoscope animation that really brought across the feel of the novel.

Then we have such abominations as Minority Report and Paycheck. But even those hackneyed blockbusters have the redeeming feature of putting money in the bank accounts of Dick's kids - which, in my opinion, they totally deserve.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:58 PM   #12
cearbhallain
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I did read I am Legend after seeing the movie. Both were good. But the movie was just that much different.
I Am Legend has been filmed three times as, Last Man on Earth, The Omega Man, and I Am Legend. Each of these adaptations have their strong points but I found the latest one to be the weakest. The book has also been released as a graphic novel.

While we're on Matheson, Showtime's Masters of Horror anthology series featured one of his darker short stories (first published in the 50's IIRC) directed by Tobe Hooper called Dance of the Dead:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0643102/

brigidbob says "check it out"
Old 05-25-2010, 01:59 PM   #13
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
I like to read the book first and then watch the movie, though the movie seldom lives up to the book. There are a few which do-- The Reader, I thought was really close.

Only twice have I read a book and preferred the movie.
1. The Horse Whisperer: The movie had a better ending. It was begun before the book was even finished.

2. The English Patient: I found that book almost unreadable.
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 02:02 PM   #14
cearbhallain
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryWes View Post
2. The English Patient: I found that book almost unreadable.
Tastes really do differ The English Patient is one of my favorite books and I found the movie to be almost unwatchable. It sure was pretty though.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:57 PM   #15
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Some of Michael Chrichton's books were made into movies with very little of the plot altered (thinking of 13th Warrior, Sphere, Jurassic Park). Yes, the movies lost a TON of infodump that he lays on us, essentially losing the force of his message. But the stories weren't badly warped and the characters only mildly bent.

I hate it when scripts deviate tremendously from the book. I mean, why bother basing it on a book if you're going to rewrite half of it?!

edit - And MC's Congo is an egregious example of the latter. The movie had only a tenuous connection to the book!
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote