Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-21-2010, 02:40 PM   #1
sniffingratty
sniffingratty began at the beginning.

Device: illiad
Readers with Browser and content

Hi everyone, I am looking for a reader that can browse the web. I don't need video, but i would like access to as much content as possible. So my question is which readers have browsers.

Also I'm wondering if it is possible to get a reader that could read B&N and Amazon ebooks. I know that they now have free programs to read kindle books on your computer, so it seems that it would not be too hard to transfer that onto a reader. If that is not possible then there must be a hack or trick to get it to work.

I am not opposed to LCD epaper if they are able to browse the web easier, i just need something easier on the eyes that i can do my research on.

Thanks.
sniffingratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 02:55 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
eInk screens really aren't ideal for web browsing; if that's your primary goal, you'd be a lot better off with a netbook, or a tablet PC.

Text-only sites work reasonably OK on eInk, but anything with "rich content" is a dead loss.

The only devices I'm aware of which have a web browser are the Kindle (in the US only, though), and the BeBook Neo / Onyx Boox 60 (these are the same machine).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 10:17 AM   #3
sniffingratty
sniffingratty began at the beginning.

Device: illiad
do you know if these devices have an option for text only browsing? i just do so much reading from websites it would be a real pain to have to transfer text or pdf that i would normally read online to a device. i guess ill take this question to the kindle forum, but for the sake of this thread an answer here would be nice. thanks for the help.

btw are you use that they have a browser that shows more than google and wikipedia? those are the only sites that i saw any mention of a browser on for these devices.

Last edited by sniffingratty; 04-22-2010 at 10:20 AM. Reason: clarification
sniffingratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:26 AM   #4
Kameli
Connoisseur
Kameli began at the beginning.

Device: none
As far as I have understood it is not really worth using ereader for web. It can be done but slow screen refresh makes it unbearable. If that is your main use I would suggest IPad or some competitors of it that will be published soon.

For web even good smart phone (iphone, android, etc.) is way better than ereader.
Kameli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 12:14 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kameli View Post
For web even good smart phone (iphone, android, etc.) is way better than ereader.
I agree with you entirely. My iPod Touch is an enormously better web browser than any eBook reader that I have.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 03:54 PM   #6
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
i wouldnt call it unbearable. Im posting this from my Boox
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 09:02 PM   #7
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
The only "Readers" that I know of that can read Amazon and B&N books both are the iPhone/iPod touch and iPad.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 09:52 PM   #8
divineAngel
divineAngel began at the beginning.

Device: Bebook Neo
Bebook neo, wouldnt call it unbearable, i constantly stay updated via various mobile news sites on it. It has a pretty nice RSS reader now too. As for amazon books, i usually buy them and strip the DRM from them, a very easy procedure which outputs the book to mobi format and can be read on Bebook. Never tried B&N store.
divineAngel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon, b&n, browser, content