Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 04-04-2010, 05:11 PM   #1
lmittell
Enthusiast
lmittell began at the beginning.

Device: K2, K3, Jetbook Lite, iPhone4
Maximum file size for JBL

I just loaded a large (22 MB) .mobi format book on my JBL and got a "file too large" error message upon trying to load it.

Does anyone know the largest file size the JBL will tolerate? Does it vary with format (e.g., .mobi vs. .epub)?

TIA,
Larry

Edit-- To clarify, I copied the file to my SD card, then attempted to open it on the JBL.
lmittell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 05:21 PM   #2
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Larry, three weeks ago we discussed the Oz Omnibus. Ken said that it took him six minutes to load.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77554

The Oz Omnibus is 1.97 MB.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...highlight=Baum
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 05:26 PM   #3
DJHARKAVY
Addict
DJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Blackberry, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmittell View Post
I just loaded a large (22 MB) .mobi format book on my JBL and got a "file too large" error message upon trying to load it.

Does anyone know the largest file size the JBL will tolerate? Does it vary with format (e.g., .mobi vs. .epub)?

TIA,
Larry

Edit-- To clarify, I copied the file to my SD card, then attempted to open it on the JBL.
I'm not sure. I had trouble with a 12 Meg book in epub format. I think it opened in eReader format, but the pictures were not always visible. I separated the epub copy into five different sections and used Calibre to re-save them as separate epub books and that worked fine.
DJHARKAVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 05:36 PM   #4
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
It is not as simple as file size. Other factors related to the book's construction and the
individual component files that define the display features. Because the different formats handle these factors differently, it does vary with format. It also varies by the
program used to create the file, and the options used, even within the same format.

For example; I also encountered the "File Too Large" message with an epub file made
from HTML using Calibre. This ebook had a great number of illustrations and did not
provide a separate directory for them.

But if I converted the HTML to pdb using Calibre first, then made an epub from the
pdb, no error message in the JBL. The new ebook was structured with a directory for
the images. Everything appears normally in the new ebook, including all the illustrations.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 05:57 PM   #5
DJHARKAVY
Addict
DJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Blackberry, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
It is not as simple as file size. Other factors related to the book's construction and the
individual component files that define the display features. Because the different formats handle these factors differently, it does vary with format. It also varies by the
program used to create the file, and the options used, even within the same format.

For example; I also encountered the "File Too Large" message with an epub file made
from HTML using Calibre. This ebook had a great number of illustrations and did not

But if I converted the HTML to pdb using Calibre first, then made an epub from the
pdb, no error message in the JBL. The new ebook was structured with a directory for
the images. Everything appears normally in the new ebook, including all the illustrations.

Luck;
Ken
Damn... That would have saved me about an hour...
DJHARKAVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 07:46 PM   #6
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
I wish my jBook regular would tell me right away if the file is beyond its capability, rather than just hanging forever and suffering in silence.
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 11:35 PM   #7
lmittell
Enthusiast

Quote:

Luck;
Ken
I appreciate that a spate of factors determines whether the JBL can open any given file, but I'm nonetheless interested in hard numbers. Just call me Philistene.

Still lacking those numbers, I conducted a small experiment. Starting with a 22.9 MB .mobi reference text that's chock-full of graphics, I converted it by means of Calibre to .epub, .pdf, .rtf, and .fb2 formats. Here are the sizes of each:
  • .mobi 22.9 MB
  • .epub 17.2 MB
  • .pdf 33.3 MB
  • .rtf 39.0 MB
  • .fb2 26.2 MB
The only two that would open were those in .pdf and .fb2 format. They displayed reasonably well, but the .pdf had the appearance of graphical text, rather than character-based text. Also, each page had to be scrolled to see its entirety. The .fb2 didn't have these problems. It's ironic that two of the largest files are the only ones that could be opened, huh?

The bottom line is that the conversion formatting errors, combined with lack of a search function, make the JBL a less-than-perfect choice for a large reference text, if you start with a .mobi file. That means it can't serve as a useful backup for my K2 in this role. Thus, I've abandoned the experiment.

I hasten to add that the JBL is a fine reader and I don't regret purchasing it for a moment. It displays all my DRM-free Kindle books (except those big pesky reference tomes) just fine. Moreover, the number of formats it can handle, together with its use of AA batteries and the presence of an SD slot, make it a pretty nifty little traveling companion.

Larry
Old 04-05-2010, 12:04 AM   #8
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
...combined with lack of a search function...
The JBL has a search function, Larry. It's called "find".
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 12:33 AM   #9
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The JBL would not be my first choice for such reference material, but you could optimize the ebooks, so that an acceptable output results.

First; why not try the process I mentioned? Have Calibre first convert the .mobi/prc
file into a pdb file. Then convert that into an epub. Let us know if that loads, and how
it looks. (Make sure Calibre's preferences have the output format set to:
"JetBook 5-inch" )

Second; the main problem for the JB or JBL functionality for reading such reference
material is the limitations for the display of graphic material. Converting the images to
8-bit Grayscale and scaling them to fit the screen size, could make many of them quite
useful for on the go reference use. This could be relatively simple for some books, or
may require, basically re-editing the ebook's structure. The text portions are not that
much of a problem.

Luck;
Ken
Old 04-05-2010, 06:11 PM   #10
lmittell
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
The JBL has a search function, Larry. It's called "find".
Ah! Sorry, you're quite right. I even used it shortly after taking the JBL out of its shipping box. The text input scheme seemed horribly tedious, so I guess I sort of put it out of my mind. But just now I discovered the T9 English input mode, which is much, much better. I don't miss the K2's keyboard so much now.

Bonehead that I am, I was looking for the word "search" while carelessly scanning the menu-- I didn't truly look at it. Thanks for reminding me that there are indeed synonyms for the word!

Larry
Old 04-06-2010, 12:07 AM   #11
lmittell
Enthusiast

Quote:
Ken wrote (in part):

<snip>

First; why not try the process I mentioned? Have Calibre first convert the .mobi/prc
file into a pdb file. Then convert that into an epub. Let us know if that loads, and how
it looks. (Make sure Calibre's preferences have the output format set to:
"JetBook 5-inch" )

<end snip>
Okay, did that. The result is a pretty nice-looking 15 MB .epub that the JBL won't open. I could try carving it up into smaller chunks and see how that goes.

I was surprised at how well-formatted the .epub is. Image quality is none too good, but acceptable. No doubt massaging the images as you suggest would help a great deal.

Larry
Old 04-06-2010, 12:38 AM   #12
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
Okay, did that. The result is a pretty nice-looking 15 MB .epub that the JBL won't open. I could try carving it up into smaller chunks and see how that goes.

I was surprised at how well-formatted the .epub is. Image quality is none too good, but acceptable. No doubt massaging the images as you suggest would help a great deal.

Larry

It's odd that the Calibre produced .epub "won't open" in the JBL.
What kind of error message did you get? Is it still the "File too big"
message? What does it look like when you un-zip that epub? How is it
different from what you posted earlier?

It should not be a file size issue, but to be that large there must be a large
number of graphic files.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 04-06-2010 at 12:42 AM.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:19 AM   #13
lmittell
Enthusiast

Yup, "file too big." There are an enormous number of image files-- 761, to be precise.

I looked at the file with a browser after unzipping it and it looked fine, as I said. I chopped 5 megs out of it by deleting half the .html files and the associated image files, rezipped it and renamed it appropriately. The result was the same-- "file too big."

I think your suggestion that the number of images is the issue is correct. Though the task is beginning to look Sisyphean, I'll chop out another 50% of the .html files and their supporting images and try once more. If that doesn't result in something useful, I'll throw in the towel.

Larry
Old 04-06-2010, 04:55 AM   #14
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Well the number it self is not the real problem, I have used the HTML>PDB>epub
processing for Glen Beck's "Arguing with Idiots", which has 270 image files.
There is some other factor that we are missing.

At this point all I could suggest is to try un-zipping the mobi file to HTML and then
loading the HTML into Calibre for the HTML>PDB>epub process.

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 04-06-2010 at 05:07 AM.
Old 04-06-2010, 04:35 PM   #15
lmittell
Enthusiast

Quote:
Well the number it self is not the real problem, I have used the HTML>PDB>epub
processing for Glen Beck's "Arguing with Idiots", which has 270 image files.
There is some other factor that we are missing.

At this point all I could suggest is to try un-zipping the mobi file to HTML and then
loading the HTML into Calibre for the HTML>PDB>epub process.
I think you meant for me to unzip the .epub file, right? Unzipping a .mobi would be a neat trick.

Okay, I'll try it.

Best,
Larry