Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-07-2010, 06:20 PM   #196
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
After tinkering with different memory cards in my Camera I tried the same thing with the reader. I had some cheap standard SD-cards and some Ultra II SD-Cards form Sandisk.
In my opinion, page turning times got a little quicker by using faster cards. I then tried an Ultra II Memory-Stick and again had the feeling that it was a little quicker than the SD-Card. Probably because Memory-Stick system is from Sony, so they can probably implement the hardware better.

Ok, here's the one that really wowed me:
Internal memory is usually faster than any external memory (see also buffer in cameras). I'm often extracting jpgs from pdfs and it takes about 7 secs to turn a page (go to the next picture) from an Ultra II Memory-Stick. When I placed the jpgs into the internal reader memory, I got down to 3-4 secs which is only half the time.

I'm not sure if that was obvious. I latently knew (at least from my camera where burst mode provides better rates with faster memory) but never tried before. So this might help others, too.

PS: Kartu, I think PRS+ is really awesome, too. (German usage manual uploaded)
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 11:19 AM   #197
angelad
Groupie
angelad is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle dx
My brother just bought one, I will have to refer him here, as he has been asking me questions that I don't know anything about as a Kindle owner.
angelad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2010, 03:06 PM   #198
dande
dande began at the beginning.

Device: 505
prs 505 - lrf vs epub

Have been using the 505 for a year or so always converting to and loading the Sony lrf format. Recently loaded an epub formatted book and found the 505 handled all functions faster/more smoothly - font size chances, page jumping, etc.

dande
dande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:31 AM   #199
missbrown83
missbrown83 began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader prs 600
help me!!

I seem to have lost the source view from the side of my reader library. without it i'm pretty stuck, and can't seem to get it back or remember how I got rid of it. Any Ideas???
missbrown83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 03:02 PM   #200
mikij
Connoisseur
mikij doesn't littermikij doesn't litter

Device: PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by missbrown83 View Post
I seem to have lost the source view from the side of my reader library. without it i'm pretty stuck, and can't seem to get it back or remember how I got rid of it. Any Ideas???
Try to search on the Forum. I think the similar problem has been solved in the past few days.
mikij is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2010, 01:59 PM   #201
mikij
Connoisseur
mikij doesn't littermikij doesn't litter

Device: PRS-600
OK, I found it on another Forum (Sony):
http://sonyreader.proboards.com/inde...=79&page=1#213
mikij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 12:52 PM   #202
trinigyal
trinigyal began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PSC 600
Smile Battery Rundown and Touchscreen Problems

Hi all,

I just spent the entire weekend resetting and trying to figure out why my battery was running down so quickly. Eventually, my touchscreen was also giving problems.

Solution: Clean around the edges of the screen. Apparently when dust particles, other microscopic elements and other "crumbs" get between, it affects both battery and touchscreen. Did it and so far everything seems to be working okay.
trinigyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 01:01 PM   #203
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinigyal View Post
Hi all,

I just spent the entire weekend resetting and trying to figure out why my battery was running down so quickly. Eventually, my touchscreen was also giving problems.

Solution: Clean around the edges of the screen. Apparently when dust particles, other microscopic elements and other "crumbs" get between, it affects both battery and touchscreen. Did it and so far everything seems to be working okay.
I can understand the touchscreen thing, but how does that effect the battery?
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 03:32 PM   #204
trinigyal
trinigyal began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PSC 600
Re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
I can understand the touchscreen thing, but how does that effect the battery?
The battery power is used partly by touch. When touchscreen is constantly being pressed, it is processing and therefore the battery is drained faster is there is the constant pressure. I have had full bars for the last 10 hours when I would lose one bar per 4 hours...
trinigyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 02:43 PM   #205
lacymarie7575
reading about reading ;->
lacymarie7575 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600, BB
Seeking a Protective Bag for my Reader

Allright...I am not trying to sound too wierd but...here goes. I am a chick and as such I need a purse to carry around all of my crapola. I am NOT however a girly chick that requires an inverted 10 Gallon Hat. I need a purse to carry my wallet and sunglasses, my cigs, my BB and of course....MY READER. I am looking for an electronics carry all with a little extra room. Any thoughts on my prediciment??? jus lookin for a not too big bag for my stuff that will also provide protection for my reader
lacymarie7575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 06:17 PM   #206
erasure25
Connoisseur
erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950; PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacymarie7575 View Post
Allright...I am not trying to sound too wierd but...here goes. I am a chick and as such I need a purse to carry around all of my crapola. I am NOT however a girly chick that requires an inverted 10 Gallon Hat. I need a purse to carry my wallet and sunglasses, my cigs, my BB and of course....MY READER. I am looking for an electronics carry all with a little extra room. Any thoughts on my prediciment??? jus lookin for a not too big bag for my stuff that will also provide protection for my reader
http://www.sfbags.com/

Check out their bags. They can be a bit pricey, but their build quality is exceptional. To me, they are worth the price as I will gladly pay for a high quality stylish bag to carry expensive gadgets. I currently use two of their bags (one for laptop and one as a day "manbag") and I love them. The bags are made in the USA (in SF) and many of them can be customized to fit your needs. Check out their muzetto bag (I'm looking to get this one myself). It is pricey, but it is also leather.
erasure25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 03:40 PM   #207
heychadwick
heychadwick has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.heychadwick has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.heychadwick has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.heychadwick has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-300
I'm not sure if this is the best place for the info, but I called Sony to ask what was the optimal size to create .pdf's for my PRS-300. They told me:

Width = 3.47 “
Height = 4.54 “

Hope this helps someone else!
heychadwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:05 PM   #208
blu-
Enthusiast
blu- knows what's going on.blu- knows what's going on.blu- knows what's going on.blu- knows what's going on.blu- knows what's going on.blu- knows what's going on.blu- knows what's going on.blu- knows what's going on.blu- knows what's going on.blu- knows what's going on.blu- knows what's going on.

Device: prs 650
Can I turn off the shut down prompt when I'm trying to turn off my 650?
blu- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:26 AM   #209
Zatoichi
Zatoichi began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PSR-600
Hi everybody. On the subject of a bag to carry your eBook, I use a small camera bag, which holds my eBook, Archos 5, Archos 704 and Nintendo DSi in the main pocket. The top net pocket holds a SatNav and bluetooth earpiece and the front outside pocket holds a Sony PSP. They are all held safe in this padded bag which is easily carried around.

Hope this helps someone.
Zatoichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:28 AM   #210
Zatoichi
Zatoichi began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PSR-600
The Sony PSP charger also fits the eReader.

Saved me having to buy another charger.
Zatoichi is offline   Reply With Quote