Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 05-06-2007, 08:41 PM   #1
sorbix
sorbix began at the beginning.

buy now or wait?

I am sure this has been discussed before, but I was hoping new information would be available...

My question is: should I buy an Iliad now or wait until a new version comes out? I think I read that there was potentially going to be a 2nd generation coming out soon. Thoughts?

And FYI, the main reason why I want an Iliad is for the wacom note-taking features, if that affects advice any.
sorbix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 09:20 PM   #2
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I don't think the "new" version will really be that different, except for the battery (and you supposedly will be able to get a larger battery for the existing model anyway). For note taking, it's pretty much the only choice, though the eBw 1150 does have a lower-resolution annotation capability (and now, the ability to display PDFs thanks to a handy conversion-to-jpg tool).
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2007, 02:10 AM   #3
vranghel
Addict
vranghel began at the beginning.

Device: Proud Iliad owner
From what I understand, the iLiad's primary function is for reading. You can also take notes on it, but it wasnt designed SPECIFICALLY for it. Note taking is quite good (except for the pen calibration issues). You have to think how much time will be spent reading on the device and how much writing.
vranghel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 09:10 AM   #4
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Also, be aware that full-page notes are not converted to text on the iLiad, though you can enter short amounts of text in forms. iRex is reselling a handwriting OCR program by Vision Objects that supposedly will convert the notes handwriting to text on a windows-based PC. I haven't tried it.

However, I recently had an interesting email exchange with Vision Objects about the possibility of getting their full HWR software on Linux, since they do have products that perform complete HWR for Windows and obviously they've ported at least some of this to Linux for the iLiad. While the first email I received in reply simply stated that they were windows only, I then got a follow-up saying they were looking into porting their SW to Linux. So that could affect the availability of full-page HWR at some future point.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote