Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 11-30-2009, 05:14 PM   #1
terekkincaid
Connoisseur
terekkincaid doesn't litterterekkincaid doesn't litter

Device: nook
Unsurprisingly, B&N blows the launch date

I pre-ordered the nook day one and had a Nov 30 ship date. I just got an email saying I now won't get it until the 7th (same as the stores). To help stem the tide of angry customers, we've been given free overnight shipping and a $10 coupon (no strings attached, it seems). In fact, I could probably still cancel my order and keep the $10

At any rate, this doesn't bode well for the folks with ship dates right before Christmas. I'm sure my nook has a date with eBay now...
terekkincaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 05:18 PM   #2
Copynik
Copynik began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Several of us are in the same boat. In another thread on this forum, someone mentioned the possibility that the Spring Design lawsuit had something to do with the delay. No matter what the cause, it is very frustrating and poorly timed. They could've given us a head's up earlier, but then of course they'd lose out on nook sales to other e-reader companies on "Black Monday".

I'm not ready to throw in the towel just yet, but think it was handled very poorly by B&N.
Copynik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 05:18 PM   #3
Texan08
Texan08 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
It's Coming

I got the same email, at least they made a response, waited this long another week won't matter.
Texan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 05:29 PM   #4
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Pure guess on my part but reading on the B&N board it looks like some people who were expecting shipping today are being told by 12-9, some are being told by 12-11, and some are being told by 12-14.

That does not say to me "We have these units ready to go and are awaiting the judge's decision." That says "We don't have nooks ready to ship and we're hoping they come online soon."
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 06:51 PM   #5
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
Pure guess on my part but reading on the B&N board it looks like some people who were expecting shipping today are being told by 12-9, some are being told by 12-11, and some are being told by 12-14.

That does not say to me "We have these units ready to go and are awaiting the judge's decision." That says "We don't have nooks ready to ship and we're hoping they come online soon."
actually I think it is more like; "our lawyers are dancing as fast as they can (and a bunch of people are going into the new year without a job)"
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 11:40 PM   #6
tautologico
tautologico is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 2 International
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
actually I think it is more like; "our lawyers are dancing as fast as they can (and a bunch of people are going into the new year without a job)"
But if it were just legal trouble, it would be cleared for everyone at the same time. If B&N had a limited amount of devices to ship yesterday but didn't ship because of legal reasons, it would still have all these units ready to ship as soon as the legal situation clears (plus all the units produced in the meantime). If people that pre-ordered at about the same time are being given different timeframes for shipping, this could mean that there's a production bottleneck.
tautologico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 01:05 AM   #7
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
uh-huh...
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:12 AM   #8
Propheous
Connoisseur
Propheous has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Propheous has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Propheous has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Propheous has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook
To be honest I am not sure why everyone's panties are in a twist. Anyone who did not anticipate a delay in receiving their product was pretty much ignorant of how first gen technology gets pushed out. Most products that have been released in the last few years have all had major delays in the first runs. Right now we are looking at what a 1 week set back from the first ever batch of this product. I feign surprise and grab my heart as I sink to the floor my dreams crushed by this unexpected news.

No offense but grow up, this is how businesses work. We no longer expect to get things on estimated dates, hasn't been like in a long time. If things start to stretch beyond a week into a couple weeks then we have a legitimate concern and our ire should be rank with the blood of those we want to slay. As for right now I think we are all over reacting just a little bit.
Propheous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:36 AM   #9
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Propheous View Post
To be honest I am not sure why everyone's panties are in a twist. Anyone who did not anticipate a delay in receiving their product was pretty much ignorant of how first gen technology gets pushed out. Most products that have been released in the last few years have all had major delays in the first runs. Right now we are looking at what a 1 week set back from the first ever batch of this product. I feign surprise and grab my heart as I sink to the floor my dreams crushed by this unexpected news.

No offense but grow up, this is how businesses work. We no longer expect to get things on estimated dates, hasn't been like in a long time. If things start to stretch beyond a week into a couple weeks then we have a legitimate concern and our ire should be rank with the blood of those we want to slay. As for right now I think we are all over reacting just a little bit.
My panties are not in a twist, thank you very much.

They're in a bunch.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:40 AM   #10
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
Quote:
To be honest I am not sure why everyone's panties are in a twist. Anyone who did not anticipate a delay in receiving their product was pretty much ignorant of how first gen technology gets pushed out. Most products that have been released in the last few years have all had major delays in the first runs.
Well, Amazon didn´t, as didn't others. Perhaps problem here is sell the milk before having the cow. Company I work for, when announce a date, has devices ready to release the day annonuce was done... to give press and prefered customers and so.
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:20 AM   #11
Rootman
Groupie
Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Android & FBReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
My panties are not in a twist, thank you very much.

They're in a bunch.
Yes, why any fool knows that only KNICKERS get in a twist, and indeed it is panties get in a bunch - or wad as the case may be.
Rootman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:22 AM   #12
supermighty
Groupie
supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libre 2
Do you work for Apple?
supermighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 11:20 AM   #13
Propheous
Connoisseur
Propheous has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Propheous has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Propheous has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Propheous has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootman View Post
Yes, why any fool knows that only KNICKERS get in a twist, and indeed it is panties get in a bunch - or wad as the case may be.
*bows*

I stand corrected.
Propheous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 12:20 PM   #14
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Quote:
Anyone who did not anticipate a delay in receiving their product was pretty much ignorant of how first gen technology gets pushed out.
Yes all you upset people! Its your own fault for thinking November 30th meant November 30th. Too bad you aren't all smart and educated in the ways of the world like this guy.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 10:13 AM   #15
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
*bows*

I stand corrected.
All is forgiven!!!

WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote