Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-23-2016, 07:56 PM   #61
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Why on earth would you suggest that those are "the next" books? The Void Trilogy are the next books set in Hamilton's Commonwealth Universe. And "Misspent Youth" was the first. None of which really hold a candle to Pandora's Star and Judas Unchained, in my opinion.
Because they fit in before the Void Trilogy in chronological order.

The order is...

1. Misspent Youth
2. Pandora's Star
3. Judas Unchained
4. The Abyss Beyond Dreams
5. A Night Without Stars
6. The Dreaming Void
7. The Temporal Void
8. The Evolutionary Void

Last edited by JSWolf; 03-23-2016 at 08:06 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 05:26 AM   #62
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

The order is...

1. Misspent Youth
2. Pandora's Star
3. Judas Unchained
5. A Night Without Stars
6. The Dreaming Void
7. The Temporal Void
8. The Evolutionary Void
So, you're recommending these are not read in publication order? I thought that publication order was the only acceptable order for reading a series. Or is that only for Discworld?

And can I borrow you time machine when I get up to A Night Without Stars?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 06:30 AM   #63
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
So, you're recommending these are not read in publication order? I thought that publication order was the only acceptable order for reading a series. Or is that only for Discworld?
Discworld is published in chronological order. So reading in chronological order is also reading in published order.

Quote:
And can I borrow you time machine when I get up to A Night Without Stars?
A Night Without Stars is due out September 27, 2016. So it's not that long to wait.
Old 03-24-2016, 08:48 AM   #64
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

The order is...

1. Misspent Youth
2. Pandora's Star
3. Judas Unchained
5. A Night Without Stars
6. The Dreaming Void
7. The Temporal Void
8. The Evolutionary Void
Where did you get the idea that they fit before the Void Trilogy even chronologically? They take place in the same time frame as the Void Trilogy. So surely the publication order would be best (especially for plot/setting familiarity)? I cannot imagine how freaking lost I would have been had I started the The Abyss Beyond Dreams before The Void Trilogy.

At least do people the favor of mentioning that you're suggesting the books be read out of publication order (with no canonical recommendations for doing so). To do otherwise is presumptuous.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-24-2016 at 08:56 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 12:07 PM   #65
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Where did you get the idea that they fit before the Void Trilogy even chronologically? They take place in the same time frame as the Void Trilogy. So surely the publication order would be best (especially for plot/setting familiarity)? I cannot imagine how freaking lost I would have been had I started the The Abyss Beyond Dreams before The Void Trilogy.

At least do people the favor of mentioning that you're suggesting the books be read out of publication order (with no canonical recommendations for doing so). To do otherwise is presumptuous.
Actually, I have a canonical mentioning. It's from the UK publisher.

Quote:
The first volume in the Chronicles of the Fallers, The Abyss Beyond Dreams by Peter F. Hamilton, is an exceptional novel exploring the mystery at the heart of the Commonwealth Universe. Fitting between the events of the Commonwealth Saga and the Void Trilogy, The Abyss Beyond Dreams is the first in an expansive duology, from the master of space opera.
https://www.panmacmillan.com/authors...-beyond-dreams
Old 03-24-2016, 01:01 PM   #66
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I was referring to a canonical suggestion (from author or publisher) that reading the books in anything other than the typical publication order was the recommended approach. You don't have that.

Regardless of the timeline, it was misleading of you to make the statement "The next two books are..." with no qualification. There's no need to mention internal chronology unless someone asks. Publication order is default. As such, the next books after the "Commonwealth Saga" are the "Void Trilogy" books followed by the books in the "Chronicle of the Fallers" (the second of which is currently unpublished). Period.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 06:10 AM   #67
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha o View Post

One is the "Ballad of Lost C'Mell"
If you're still looking for it: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NBAVZOG
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote