Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-25-2015, 07:27 PM   #1
HYPE
Groupie
HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Worth going for the Kobo Glo HD?

Hi,

I'm thinking of getting a Kobo Glo HD but I'm wondering if it's still worth it.

I know no one has official info on when the new model with be released. I'm just asking what you guys think.

I keep my ereaders for a couple of years so I would be bummed out if a new model came out shortly after getting one. Does the rumor mill have anything to say about this?

People who are currently using a Kobo Glo HD, would you get another one if it broke tomorrow?

Thanks!
HYPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 08:44 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by HYPE View Post
I'm thinking of getting a Kobo Glo HD but I'm wondering if it's still worth it.

I know no one has official info on when the new model with be released. I'm just asking what you guys think.

I keep my ereaders for a couple of years so I would be bummed out if a new model came out shortly after getting one. Does the rumor mill have anything to say about this?
Kobo release in March/April and September/October. So, there won't be anything until then. And as the Glo HD was released March/April this year, it is unlikely that a replacement or update for it will be released in March/April next year.

Personally, I can't think of what Kobo could be releasing next year. They will need something, but I can only think they will do an update to the H2O.
Quote:
People who are currently using a Kobo Glo HD, would you get another one if it broke tomorrow?
If the Glo HD was my only reader, I would be heading to the shops as fast as I could. But, as I can fall back to my Aura H2O, I'd probably wait until the weekend.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 09:02 PM   #3
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Well hopefully mine won't break, but I would get another if it did, even though I have other ereaders. I really like the Glo HD. Now if they make it in a waterproof flavor, I'd get one of those, too.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 09:21 PM   #4
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Personally, I can't think of what Kobo could be releasing next year. They will need something, but I can only think they will do an update to the H2O.
Possibly a six inch waterproof reader, and possibly something we haven't thought of yet.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 09:26 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Possibly a six inch waterproof reader, and possibly something we haven't thought of yet.
Faster processor, more storage, waterproof, 8", & 300DPI.

That would do very well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 08:13 AM   #6
chanfm
Enthusiast
chanfm began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Arc, Kindle PW3
There is a sale at Chapters Indigo. C$100 for Kobo Glo HD. You get an extra 10% discount with visa checkout. I think that is a pretty good deal.

https://www.chapters.indigo.ca/en-ca...?keywords=kobo
chanfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 08:20 AM   #7
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It is an awesome deal.
Old 11-26-2015, 08:27 AM   #8
chanfm
Enthusiast
chanfm began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Arc, Kindle PW3
I could not resist buying.
chanfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 08:46 AM   #9
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

I don't blame you. I ordered mine when they first became available at Chapters, but if I didn't have one, I wouldn't hesitate. I love mine. Ordered a new case for it the other day I've been using a Glo case.
Old 11-26-2015, 11:11 AM   #10
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
Also, took advantage of the sale today. I am now anxiously awaiting its arrival.
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 12:01 PM   #11
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanfm View Post
There is a sale at Chapters Indigo. C$100 for Kobo Glo HD. You get an extra 10% discount with visa checkout. I think that is a pretty good deal.

That is a fantastic deal. I'm soooo tempted to get another one as a spare! It wold be less than $90 with the exchange rate, including the shipping.

Edit: I ordered my spare, it'll be right around $80 after the exchange rate. That's a real hard deal to pass up for a Glo HD.

Last edited by Ripplinger; 11-26-2015 at 12:14 PM.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 12:13 PM   #12
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
That is a fantastic deal. I'm soooo tempted to get another one as a spare! It wold be less than $90 with the exchange rate, including the shipping.
Tempting, but I'd like one that's waterproof, so I'll wait for the Kobo Glo HD2O.
Old 11-27-2015, 10:26 AM   #13
HYPE
Groupie
HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Thank you everyone for your replies! I'll probably be getting one soon as it does look awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanfm View Post

Thanks for the heads up! It's an awesome deal, very tempting to get one now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Tempting, but I'd like one that's waterproof, so I'll wait for the Kobo Glo HD2O.
Just curious - do you actually read in the bath or by the pool, or it is merely for the added ruggedness?
HYPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 10:33 AM   #14
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
I bought my H2O because I smashed my HD, and I figured $10 for newer screen tech plus water & dust proofing was worth it. I'm just so used to the screen size (6.8") that I can't picture going back to 6".

The waterproofing is nice though... I like that I don't worry about getting caught in the rain with the H2O in my pocket.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 11:40 AM   #15
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HYPE View Post
Just curious - do you actually read in the bath or by the pool, or it is merely for the added ruggedness?
I don't even take baths. I'd simply like it for the added protection against accidents.