Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 02-06-2015, 07:00 PM   #1
Philosopher
Connoisseur
Philosopher began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Lightbulb Plug-In Proposal: Phone/tablet barcode/isbn scanning

Here is a simple idea that would be very useful - at least it appears at first glance something that one with familiarity of the parts of this would see as fairly straightforward.

I would like to more "effeciently" begin to incorporate my "traditional" library into my Calbre database - meaning my "traditional" (hard/soft ie paper) books rather than those I specifically have in electronic format.

I'd like to see one major function for a plugin - with a second element as ideal (I'll make this simple and first - just a standard "format" for "print" just like for epub, PDF, etc).

But most importantly - with that built into it - what I would really love to see developed is a plug-in that I can scan the barcode/isbn of a print book using say my phone or tablet - and have it then automatically look up the book - and put all the data into a record, with the format being "print" (or something like that) - and so one could reasonably input a large number of traditional print books into the library in a fairly reasonable time.

I don't have the time or even more the expertise (if I had the time - perhaps I could gain the expertise - but I don't) to do this myself. But I wonder if others think this would be viable and valuable - and if a discussion could be begun to work towards or encourage this to be developed.
Philosopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 07:14 PM   #2
Philosopher
Connoisseur
Philosopher began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I guess - for the lesser issue of format - it would be ideal to have a "softcover" or "hardcover" - rather than what I first suggested ("print") format choice.
Philosopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 07:22 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Add from ISBN is a built in feature (has been for a long time).

I have a real laser scanner (barcode wedge), but if you can have your phone save the values read to a text file, Add from ISBN can process the file if you paste (or type) the values into the box

(Add from ISBN is an option on the Add Books Icon)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 08:56 PM   #4
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Get Book Catalogue from here
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...atalogue&hl=en

You can add books using the barcode it allows syncing with goodreads as does calibre. So you should be able to get all your books into calibre this way. I don't use calibre goodreads plugin so cant say how well it will work.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 09:07 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Philosopher -IIRC someone at MR had their barcode reader write the ISBNs to a text file, then they edited the text file into something that could be used by the Import List PI. I assume the author and title were dummy values, which were overwritten when metadata was downloaded using the ISBN.

Might be in the Import List thread,

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 02-06-2015 at 09:10 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 07:53 AM   #6
Pr.BarnArt
Addict
Pr.BarnArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pr.BarnArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pr.BarnArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pr.BarnArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pr.BarnArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pr.BarnArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pr.BarnArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pr.BarnArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pr.BarnArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pr.BarnArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pr.BarnArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook 902 / Ipad air/ kindle paperwhite
Would be a nice project. I will think about it.
At the moment I am investigating ios - programming
Pr.BarnArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 11:40 AM   #7
ddjohn
Enthusiast
ddjohn began at the beginning.

Device: Palm TX; Pandigital-7W
Philosopher's plug-in proposal is a large part of what I would like to do also. Keep in mind that I am not a hi-tech engineer, so most of the replies so far talk about things I don't understand and use a lot of abbreviations that I'm not familiar with (yet). But if there were a simple way to add my hard copy and paperback materials to a Calibre library, that is step one. Then I need to export a list of titles and authors that I can carry about on my phone (Android) or iPad Mini. Too many times I'm buying books at the used book store, only to find out that I already own a copy of that book. I'd love to be able to check my owned books while out shopping (no internet access for using the Calibre server).
ddjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 04:12 AM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
But this already exists, as mentioned in post #3.

You will need a barcode scanner (there is probably an app that will do ) and then simply scan all your paper books into calibre.

Calibre Companion is an Android app written by one of our members, which works with calibre to maintain a catalog of your ebooks. You can easily add a blank TXT format to each of the virtual (paper) book formats, from the Add books toolbar dropdown.

Sync to Calibre Companion (transferring the empty TXT files which don't take up much space) and ou can search in CC with most of the flexibility of calibre itself.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 11:40 AM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
The scan eschwartz and I mentioned is a Barcode scan (like the stores use), Not a Page scan for OCR and pictures)

If your booklist already exists as a Text file, or better yet: Spreadsheet
Save it as CSV is 100% the way to go.
Just Use https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...05&postcount=1 with that CSV
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
add book, barcode, phone, plugin, scanner