Notices

Old 04-26-2013, 10:37 AM   #61
Rowella
Sleepy
Rowella began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Ouch. I can confirm that it is displaying correctly here in a few different languages. Maybe it is related to the country you have your account registered in.
I'd expect at least to show the same books as on my Android, not a blank page 1 of 2

I took your advice at heart and changed my payment address to my old home address and only then it is showing okay. However, it does mean I need to change my payment address back and forth between countries if I want to order a book, which is rather ridiculous.

For whatever reason, after switching countries my Glo is now showing a variety of titles, a whopping 135559 items!
Rowella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:54 AM   #62
euro traveler
Connoisseur
euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Nook STR, Kobo Mini, TrekStor Pyrus Mini, Nook HD & HD+
Mini updated ok

I just updated my Kobo Desktop to 3.2.1 and then synced my Mini through it.
The 2.5.1 update downloaded automatically.
After ejecting my Mini, it finished updated itself and everything seems fine.
euro traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:32 AM   #63
HoyPhoto
HoyPhoto is less competitive than you.HoyPhoto is less competitive than you.HoyPhoto is less competitive than you.HoyPhoto is less competitive than you.HoyPhoto is less competitive than you.HoyPhoto is less competitive than you.HoyPhoto is less competitive than you.HoyPhoto is less competitive than you.HoyPhoto is less competitive than you.HoyPhoto is less competitive than you.HoyPhoto is less competitive than you.

Device: Kobo Touch
Hooked my Glo up to Kobo Desktop and updated from 2.5 to 2.5.1 without issues. Read on the bus this morning and so far no complaints.
HoyPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:45 AM   #64
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
People have skipped the registration by manually inserting data into the SQL database on the device
How does one do this? What are the benefits of doing this vs a registration using the desktop software?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:28 PM   #65
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
ah, thanks! wonder whether there are any instructions for dummies on how to do it...
Paola,

there are several explanations at this forum. I cannot find them myself right now. Anyway,
in order to initialize the reader without registering you can add a new line to the "user" table of the database. Fill in any fitting values. Depending on your reset firmware version, the number of values varies.
Example for FW 1.9.12:
Code:
INSERT INTO user VALUES ("0", "0", "0", "0", "0");
Example for FW 2.5.0:
Code:
INSERT INTO user VALUES ("0", "0", "0", "0", "0", "0","false");
I think you use the SQLite Database Browser. Right? Open the database file "KoboReader.sqlite". Select "Browse Data" and choose the table "user". Look at line 1 and try to establish whether the values of one of the two examples might fit or whether you have to make some modifications. I guess the second example might be correct for the Mini. Choose Execute SQL, enter the command "INSERT INTO user VALUES ..." and press "Execute query".
I can only confirm that the values work for FW 1.9.12. I did not try it with more recent firmwares. If the reader does not accept your values, you can try replacing them by others (maybe the email address must look like an email address, e.g. name@xmail.com, or something like that).

Last edited by tshering; 04-26-2013 at 12:36 PM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:32 PM   #66
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What are the benefits of doing this vs a registration using the desktop software?
Can be convenient if you do not have Windows, or if there is not internet access, or if the Kobo server is down.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:54 PM   #67
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
How does one do this? What are the benefits of doing this vs a registration using the desktop software?
If you do not have internet access, it's the only game in town. Otherwise, it's more or less paranoia (IMHO). You can also set the hosts files on your Kobo to disable Google Analytics if you want to use the WiFi without sending information that you may not want sent being sent. If Kobo suddenly shuts down, it's going to be the only way to recover from a factory reset if you didn't keep a backup copy of a known good database.

I tried this once after a factory reset and using the SQLite browser, it was fairly simple. I connected the ereader to my computer, ran the query against the database on the ereader and it came up as if it had been registered. At that point, I had nothing to lose since I had already factory reset the Touch.

It might also be handy if you are selling an old Kobo and want to be able to demonstrate it without having your account information being stored on the ereader.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:15 PM   #68
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
Paola,

there are several explanations at this forum. I cannot find them myself right now. Anyway,
in order to initialize the reader without registering you can add a new line to the "user" table of the database. Fill in any fitting values. Depending on your reset firmware version, the number of values varies.
Example for FW 1.9.12:
Code:
INSERT INTO user VALUES ("0", "0", "0", "0", "0");
Example for FW 2.5.0:
Code:
INSERT INTO user VALUES ("0", "0", "0", "0", "0", "0","false");
I think you use the SQLite Database Browser. Right? Open the database file "KoboReader.sqlite". Select "Browse Data" and choose the table "user". Look at line 1 and try to establish whether the values of one of the two examples might fit or whether you have to make some modifications. I guess the second example might be correct for the Mini. Choose Execute SQL, enter the command "INSERT INTO user VALUES ..." and press "Execute query".
I can only confirm that the values work for FW 1.9.12. I did not try it with more recent firmwares. If the reader does not accept your values, you can try replacing them by others (maybe the email address must look like an email address, e.g. name@xmail.com, or something like that).
Thank you!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:57 PM   #69
magphil
Connoisseur
magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Gen3, Kobo glow
I am still at 2.4.

Is it really worth upgrading to 2.5.1 ?

I have only side loaded epubs, no pdf, I don't play games, and wifi is always turned off.
magphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:17 PM   #70
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by magphil View Post
I am still at 2.4.

Is it really worth upgrading to 2.5.1 ?

I have only side loaded epubs, no pdf, I don't play games, and wifi is always turned off.
For me the main advantages of 2.5.1 over 2.4.0 are:
- Going-back-to-sleep-soon-after-being-woken bug is fixed.
- Books on external micro SD card are now treated the same as books in internal storage (covers are cached instead of generated afresh each time)
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:18 PM   #71
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
2.5.1 has been ok for me. The only really annoying thing is the pdf ghosting, which will not affect you. I say go for it.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:35 PM   #72
Dryhte
Crow
Dryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watch

Device: (Vivlio) Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post
2.5.1 has been ok for me. The only really annoying thing is the pdf ghosting, which will not affect you. I say go for it.
I second that. 251 is fine.
Dryhte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:48 PM   #73
Lily7
Zealot
Lily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle Voyage, Paperwhite 5th gen, Kobo Libra 2
Is this release any faster than 2.4? I kind of don't really want to update unless it will make it a tad faster or the contrast better. Those are my only wishes at the moment.
Lily7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:55 PM   #74
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily7 View Post
Is this release any faster than 2.4? I kind of don't really want to update unless it will make it a tad faster or the contrast better. Those are my only wishes at the moment.
If your books are on an external micro SD card then you might find browsing your library listing faster because their thumbnails no longer have to be regenerated, but otherwise I haven't noticed any speed difference between 2.4.0 and 2.5.1.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:56 PM   #75
teija
Gadget fiend
teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite 2021, Sony PRS-350
Lily: I'm pretty sure that I noticed an improvement to the page turn speed (even if only slight) and perhaps even the contrast when I upgraded my Mini last weekend from 2.4 to 2.5. Plus, they fixed the blacked-out number boxes on the Sudoku game, which made me happy...
teija is offline   Reply With Quote