Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-07-2013, 02:44 PM   #1
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
inseting footnotes?

i have a document that I'm thinking of self-publishing through Amazon. One of the things stopping me is that it's in a Word document (windows 7), and there are a zillion footnotes (where I got quotes from).

If it wasn't for the footnotes, I know I could save as HTML/filtered and convert with Calibre, but I'm not sure how to make the footnotes active.

Any advice (other than "Don't do it! Turn Back!")?
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:09 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Use sigil?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:11 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Save as filtered HTML and convert to ePub via Calibre. Then use Sigil to clean it up.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:14 PM   #4
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Does this mean I'll have to hand-code all the footnote links?
Old 03-07-2013, 03:22 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
Sigil will Help

IMHO (from a simple: 1 time use)

start at the (foot) Note. Give them all a recognizable name (not all starting with the same letter, to make the next phase easier).
Now place the link, the names will be in the list. (type the first letter to get closer)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:49 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
That depends upon how good a job Word does with the footnote links when you save as filtered HTML.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:49 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@BeccaPrice - If you mean links within the document itself then :

Word 2007 documents saved as Filtered HTML which I then Calibre convert to EPUB work fine for me, including the footnotes and endnotes, with their links, - simple sample attached in doc, zip and epub formats.

Because an ebook is by definition unpaginated, Footnotes always land at the end of the document, so I only use Endnotes - so what I see in Word is more or less what I see in the EPUB.

McKinsey have recently started to publish some of their documents in EPUB and MOBI - in addition to PDF. AFAIK McKinsey's use Word, but they don't publish in Word. They are putting the 'notes' at the end of sections - maybe you do that by configuring Foot/End Notes (see attached screen shot). Here is a recent example - Financial Globalisation: Retreat or Reset

You can convert & swap foot and end notes with the Convert button in the Word foot & end note configuration dialogue.

If you mean external links within a note to Web Pages etc - then that's a different can of worms - including web site redesign, which can render all links "404 dead" - Bundesbank, CFTC etc

BR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	102569  
Attached Files
File Type: epub This is a simple document - Unknown.epub (4.5 KB, 57 views)
File Type: zip This is a simple document - Unknown.zip (2.5 KB, 90 views)
File Type: doc This is a simple document.doc (33.5 KB, 92 views)

Last edited by BetterRed; 03-08-2013 at 03:05 AM. Reason: typo
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:21 AM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Addenda - I added a Weblink in an Word End Note (# 2) and converted to EPUB - works fine here (assuming Georg doesn't redo its Website) - see attachments

Why can't I upload docx files to MobruleRead [sic]

BR
Attached Files
File Type: epub This is a document with weblink - Unknown.epub (4.9 KB, 110 views)
File Type: doc This is a document with weblink.doc (34.0 KB, 84 views)

Last edited by BetterRed; 03-08-2013 at 03:06 AM.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:09 AM   #9
BeccaPrice
Wizard

Thank you so very much, BetterRed for your investigating this, and for your work. I really appreciate it.

Now to decide whether my book is worth finishing or not.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:24 PM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

@BeccaPrice - glad I could help.

I tried inserting section breaks and getting Word to put the Endnotes at End of Section - OK in Word, but the conversion to ePUB didn't 'compute'

I'm attaching the HTML (in a zip), maybe someone who understands the structure of ePubs can help further. There may be things you can do to get the endnotes to appear at end of section (Chapter) - maybe via Structure Detection & Search and Replace. But that's all beyond me. I'll also attach the .doc so you can see what I did.

jackie-w is someone who may be able to provide further help, she was a great help to me in demystifying the conversion of word docs to epub.

Good luck with the book.

BR
Attached Files
File Type: doc This is a document with sections.doc (35.5 KB, 88 views)
File Type: zip This is a document with sections - Unknown.zip (3.0 KB, 77 views)