Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-09-2012, 11:02 AM   #31
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
^ In the past year, I realized that my sister and I read the same exact type of books, so I feel confident she will like the books I am loading on her PW, which is a Xmas present. I had to rebuy the ones I have in English, since she only reads in German, so that kind of sucks.

Otherwise, I agree, better not to give specific books unless you know it's the next in a series they are already reading, or if it's on their wishlist.

My nephew got me a Casual Vacancy and was so excited he could not wait to tell me - which is good, because now I have until Xmas to practice my "excited" face, since I had no interest in reading that book.

It is so messed up to give somebody who is not religious bibles as so-called presents. That's like giving a kid who hates maths a math work book as a present. Seriously?!
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:09 AM   #32
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Usually when # is used with a number it refers to that specific message in the thread. I tried using Wingding with a 6 in a circle but alas those don't work, since that is not a platform independent standard. I checked the article after posting, that is when I realized that it was an item in there that was mentioned.
Sorry for the confusion. I probably should have referenced the significant part of the title (Nine ideas for making an invisible gift more fun to give) in my post or mentioned "#6 from the list" for clarity.

An aside: If anyone tries Idea #6, please come back and let us know how it turned out.

(If you're still conscious)
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:10 AM   #33
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuskyRose View Post
Not once did I ever get a book I actually wanted when I was young and still exchanging gifts with family. One relative knows I'm not religious, so used to send me a bible every year. Another would load up a box of books she'd read, knowing I had no interest in the genre and pass them to me as a Christmas gift. (She didn't want to waste them by tossing them out.)

I'd so much rather get a gift card it isn't funny. Now, we've just all have agreed not to give presents accept to parents. And they get restaurant gift certificates.

The rest of us are so much happier with just sending a Card, sharing a meal or a phone call. The rest it just too much work.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:11 AM   #34
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
An aside: If anyone tries Idea #6, please come back and let us know how it turned out.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:45 PM   #35
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
It is so messed up to give somebody who is not religious bibles as so-called presents. That's like giving a kid who hates maths a math work book as a present. Seriously?!
As the recipient, I have to agree. But when they throw out the "But I love you and don't want you to go to hell, so I got you religion for Christmas!" thing at you, it's just easier to grin and bear it.

And be glad I only see her once a year, if that.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:48 PM   #36
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuskyRose View Post
As the recipient, I have to agree. But when they throw out the "But I love you and don't want you to go to hell, so I got you religion for Christmas!" thing at you, it's just easier to grin and bear it.

And be glad I only see her once a year, if that.
You could always re-gift it back the following year.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:59 PM   #37
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
You could always re-gift it back the following year.

Yeah, if we were still giving gifts, I'd probably be very tempted.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:09 PM   #38
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
I wasn't aware it was possible to give someone an ebook as a gift. How does that work?
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:19 PM   #39
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecweston View Post
I wasn't aware it was possible to give someone an ebook as a gift. How does that work?
on the amazon kindle book pages there is a button - "Give as a Gift"

for example: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846
Old 12-09-2012, 02:24 PM   #40
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
on the amazon kindle book pages there is a button - "Give as a Gift"

for example: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846
Just opened it in mobile version and gift button won't show up unless you switch to full site.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:36 PM   #41
kennyc

No gifting while driving I guess!
Old 12-09-2012, 02:41 PM   #42
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
No gifting while driving I guess!
Gifting while driving works perfectly fine. I'll send you my Amazon info. The mobile pages have a "switch to full site" at the bottom.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:55 PM   #43
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Gifting while driving works perfectly fine. I'll send you my Amazon info. The mobile pages have a "switch to full site" at the bottom.
Old 12-09-2012, 03:06 PM   #44
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
You can't gift a Kindle book to someone on the co.uk site, which is a bit rubbish....
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:09 PM   #45
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
You can't gift a Kindle book to someone on the co.uk site, which is a bit rubbish....
That is indeed.

It probably has to do with the money. Only if it says "in god we trust" as on USD bills, can you truly gift an Amazon book - for e.g. christmas.