Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-08-2012, 08:20 AM   #106
fauxpas
Connoisseur
fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilewilier View Post
The back of the magnetic cover looks pretty ugly with the leather patch...
I agree. At first I was disappointed that I got one without the magnetic closure but after seeing the back.. I'm kind of glad

Still waiting for mine to arrive, I'm hoping it has already made its way to German customs or something, but tracking info hasn't changed in a week now (which isn't surprising) so it could be anywhere right now.

I'm still considering buying the amazon one later down the line, but for now I'll wait
fauxpas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:40 AM   #107
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilewilier View Post
I have both the unofficial non-magnetic cover and the official one. The official one really feels like a premium product and makes using the PW more pleasurable!

I find the unofficial one perfectly adequate too, but it's functional rather than something I love.

You get what you pay for.... And both choices are good value....
Beautifully stated. Karma for that. You get what you pay for cannot be closer to the truth.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:32 AM   #108
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
What I like about the unofficial one, apart from the price, is the nicer, bolder colors and the smaller foptprint. I agree that the new Ebay one with the magnetic closure is clumsily implemented, but I think they are probably going to improve on the design.
I don't even want the kindle logo on it - let me customize it with a quote or something, and charge me extra - I'd still buy it! I DO know that there is a kindle inside.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:10 AM   #109
digiridan
Enthusiast
digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3, Thinkpad Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmurph View Post
Yes, that same ebay seller has covers for all of the current kindle models. For some reason he's listing the different colors separately, so you'll have to browse through his listings to find a color you want. The K4 ones are only $9.90.

I'm typing this from my iPod, so I don't have a link for you. But his user ID is "googleproduct". Just go to his eBay store and search the word "kindle" along with the number "4".

He even has lighted covers for just $19.99.
Thank you! I was typing from my phone so it was hard to browse ebay
digiridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:36 PM   #110
jscris
Addict
jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: k1 - KAO2, ipads, h2o, KA1, inkBOOK, T80s, Mars, Nova Pro
Mine arrived from EBay seller googleproduct today (in the mid-US). I agree with all that has been said about the lower-priced version being perfectly acceptable! Not wanting to have a panic attack, I pared it a little (Thanks, Vmurph!) and was able to get the PW back out with only a little effort and a dull butter knife. As far as the "leather", I didn't expect it to be real for that price and actually didn't like the texture of the Amazon version, which I returned. I rarely return anything, but it seemed overpriced based on all my previous covers, some of which were Amazon brand. I love real leather, but this seems to be a very good imitation or composite or whatever it is, and it feels good to me. I may add an elastic around it if I'm in a situation where I'm worried about the cover coming open. The cover didn't lie perfectly flat on the outer edge (bottom corner with magnet met, top didn't), but a gentle bend and it's lying flat now. Anyway, I'm happy with it! Mine is black.
jscris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:02 PM   #111
fauxpas
Connoisseur
fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW
Would you mind posting a couple of pics? It might be excessive, but I haven't seen any of the black one other than the ones in the auction
fauxpas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:19 PM   #112
jscris
Addict
jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Not as good as those by toddmp, but I tried to get what I think you want to see and that's whether it's glossy. It's not. Other than that, it's black. What more can I say?

[Images exceeds guidelines for size - MODERATOR]

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 02-06-2014 at 02:03 PM.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:00 PM   #113
Vmurph
Cat Whisperer
Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1, and iPhone XS Max
Jscris, is that a screensaver or a book cover?
Vmurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:07 PM   #114
jscris
Addict

Screensaver.

Painting by my husband.

Last edited by jscris; 12-09-2012 at 09:53 AM.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:15 PM   #115
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

How did you get the screensaver to display the painting?
Old 12-08-2012, 09:27 PM   #116
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
How did you get the screensaver to display the painting?
More than likely a jailbreak and screensaver hack. PW would have been ad-free before already though.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:47 PM   #117
Vmurph
Cat Whisperer
Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1, and iPhone XS Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by jscris View Post
Screensaver.
http://www.warrencriswell.com/conjunction1231w.jpg
Painting by my husband.
I love it
So, it's hacked, I assume? I sure wish Amazon would let us add our own screensavers without having to hack. It's such a basic function. I don't know of any other device that doesn't allow the user to use their own backgrounds/wallpapers.

The least they could've done was let us choose one of the native screens to make the default. Oh well, that's for another thread.
Vmurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:11 PM   #118
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmurph View Post
I love it
So, it's hacked, I assume? I sure wish Amazon would let us add our own screensavers without having to hack. It's such a basic function. I don't know of any other device that doesn't allow the user to use their own backgrounds/wallpapers.

The least they could've done was let us choose one of the native screens to make the default. Oh well, that's for another thread.
There is a screensaver you can choose that is different than even the ads. Hold on/off button for about 6 seconds to switch to a completely white background. You can call it snowstorm in the snow. (it is the same as normal sleep mode, only difference is the white background)
Old 12-08-2012, 10:21 PM   #119
jscris
Addict

It's jailbroken with the screensaver hack. Instructions for making the images the right size are in the thread about the screensaver hack in the Developer's Corner. And, true, there were never special offers on it. It was purchased without them.

Last edited by jscris; 12-08-2012 at 11:37 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:02 AM   #120
xendula
eBookworm

Thanks. Too bad we can't just upload images to non jail broken devices. Or at least have the option of seeing the cover of the book we are currently reading.