Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-17-2012, 05:36 AM   #1
Ehhh
Connoisseur
Ehhh is a jewel in the roughEhhh is a jewel in the roughEhhh is a jewel in the roughEhhh is a jewel in the roughEhhh is a jewel in the roughEhhh is a jewel in the roughEhhh is a jewel in the roughEhhh is a jewel in the roughEhhh is a jewel in the roughEhhh is a jewel in the roughEhhh is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kindle Touch
Update 5.0.4 -> 5.1.0 gives error 0.0.6

I downloaded a new version 5.1.0 , and i tried to update from version 5.0.4. During second part (2/2) of updating KT gives error 0.0.6 and returns to 5.0.4 version. Can anybody help me?
Ehhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:55 AM   #2
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle PW, Nexus7 3G
Various ways, for some factory reset solved it, others had to uninstall launcher.

For me, I had to go the way via 5.0 and upgrade from there, including flashing kernel to 5.0.

All necessary steps are described in geekmaster thread:
"Simple debricking method for K5(Touch) and K4(Mini), with K3 links "
diba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:32 AM   #3
phoeagon
Enthusiast
phoeagon knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phoeagon knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phoeagon knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phoeagon knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phoeagon knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phoeagon knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phoeagon knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phoeagon knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phoeagon knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phoeagon knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phoeagon knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

yeah, diba's right... try to uninstall each and every hack you installed, but don't be too optimistic as i've just bricked mine because of some broken installer... so anyway it's the same,,, flash a new and clean 5.0.0 image to the device, Jailbreak it, install the 5.1.0 update, and then install GUI Launcher, etc...
phoeagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:50 AM   #4
pirl8
Pest
pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KT, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehhh View Post
I downloaded a new version 5.1.0 , and i tried to update from version 5.0.4. During second part (2/2) of updating KT gives error 0.0.6 and returns to 5.0.4 version.
As you've already been told, it depends on some installed hack: suspects are the GUI launcher and the screen rotation hack.

I had the same problem and uninstalling everything eventually worked. Others had to re-flash v5.0.0, jailbreak and upgrade.
pirl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:44 AM   #5
Ehhh
Connoisseur
Ehhh is a jewel in the roughEhhh is a jewel in the roughEhhh is a jewel in the roughEhhh is a jewel in the roughEhhh is a jewel in the roughEhhh is a jewel in the roughEhhh is a jewel in the roughEhhh is a jewel in the roughEhhh is a jewel in the roughEhhh is a jewel in the roughEhhh is a jewel in the rough

i uninstalled all packages, factory reset didn't help... how to re-flash to v5.0.0?
Old 05-17-2012, 08:12 AM   #6
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

If you have read at least the first post of geekmasters tread here and understood:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=170929

and you have access via usbnetwork / ssh to your kindle you can probably follow ixtabs description here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=365

To do this, you need to have the files from here (in geekmasters post, reference links)):
Kindle "Forensic" Images (be sure to use matching partition and kernel versions):
Download URLs are here (this URL can change): http://pastebin.com/Wdw4L7yT

mmcblk0p2_ssh.img has to be in mnt/us/ to start with as well as mmcblk0p1.img for flashing to 5.0

For the kernel flash, the img is in the forensic link as well. I needed this for unbricking a 5.1 firmware, not from my 5.0.4, assume this is not necessary as long as you are on a 5.0.x firmware.

As mentioned, Geekmasters procedure worked twice for me! THX from my side again.

Last edited by diba; 05-17-2012 at 08:16 AM.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:17 AM   #7
pirl8
Pest
pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KT, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehhh View Post
i uninstalled all packages, factory reset didn't help... how to re-flash to v5.0.0?
For me the problem was one of the intermediate screen rotate hack files (don't remember which one). I used the appropriate uninstaller and it did the magic.

To re-flash a previous firmware you can start from here: Kindle touch hacking
pirl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:37 AM   #8
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
You need to flash the kernels using fastboot. Do not flash mmcblk0p1 using fastboot. It is too large and will abort early, but fastboot will falsely report SUCCESS. You MUST use "dd" from SSH after booting to diags. Just follow the instructions in the debricking sticky thread.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:10 AM   #9
diba
Addict

@Geekmaster: am I right or wrong with my assumption concerning that with 5.0.x there should be no need to flash the kernel? Just because of my own experience I have written this.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:34 AM   #10
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If it has the 5.1.0 kernel, when downgrading to mmcblk0p1 5.0.0 you should also downgrade to kernel 5.0.0.

The 5.1.0 update will install a new kernel when it updates the main partition.

5.0.4 also has a different kernel.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:36 AM   #11
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
If it has the 5.1.0 kernel, when downgrading to mmcblk0p1 5.0.0 you should also downgrade to kernel 5.0.0.

The 5.1.0 update will install a new kernel when it updates the main partition.

5.0.4 also has a different kernel.
I realize you keep yourself swamp'd with work, but...

If you can find the time, could you put a simple table on the wiki of the various combinations that you are aware of?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:41 AM   #12
geekmaster

I think the only kernels were 5.0.0, 5.0.4, and 5.1.0. And the 5.0.4 changes were minor.

The important thing is to not mix 5.0.x and 5.1.x kernels and partitions.

The Diags kernels were just 5.0.0 and 5.1.0. But now, there are a bunch of DIFFERENT (probably incompatible) diags "flavors" around. Probably main has the same situation. Different incompatible flavors of 5.1.0, but using the same version numbers.

How is anybody expected to document such a screw-job as the 5.1.x disaster?

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-17-2012 at 09:44 AM.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:51 AM   #13
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
I think the only kernels were 5.0.0, 5.0.4, and 5.1.0. And the 5.0.4 changes were minor.

The important thing is to not mix 5.0.x and 5.1.x kernels and partitions.

The Diags kernels were just 5.0.0 and 5.1.0. But now, there are a bunch of DIFFERENT (probably incompatible) diags "flavors" around. Probably main has the same situation. Different incompatible flavors of 5.1.0, but using the same version numbers.

How is anybody expected to document such a screw-job as the 5.1.x disaster?
Ah, much simpler than I had imagined.
How about a link to your description above in the "de-bricking" index?
You already warn folks at the top of that de-bricking index, but your summary above might be of additional help.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:24 AM   #14
geekmaster

Link to post #12 added to top of sticky.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:56 AM   #15
Ehhh
Connoisseur

Thank YOU!!!!! These links helped to update to 5.1.0!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by diba View Post
If you have read at least the first post of geekmasters tread here and understood:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=170929

and you have access via usbnetwork / ssh to your kindle you can probably follow ixtabs description here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=365

To do this, you need to have the files from here (in geekmasters post, reference links)):
Kindle "Forensic" Images (be sure to use matching partition and kernel versions):
Download URLs are here (this URL can change): http://pastebin.com/Wdw4L7yT

mmcblk0p2_ssh.img has to be in mnt/us/ to start with as well as mmcblk0p1.img for flashing to 5.0

For the kernel flash, the img is in the forensic link as well. I needed this for unbricking a 5.1 firmware, not from my 5.0.4, assume this is not necessary as long as you are on a 5.0.x firmware.

As mentioned, Geekmasters procedure worked twice for me! THX from my side again.