Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-25-2011, 02:20 AM   #1
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
Standby slider only powers off now?

Hi,

I'm not sure if I'm the only one that's experienced this but as of last night when I use the standby slider to put my device on standby mode it instead pops open a box asking me if I'm sure I want to turn off my device. I'm not sure why this is happening. I'm not holding the slider longer than necessary to put it into standby mode?

Is there a way to get it to stop asking me to turn off my device?

I'd appreciate any and all help,
Thanks!
Amalthia
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 02:29 AM   #2
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
If you slide it holding for a couple of secs or longer, it asks about full power off.
If only briefly, sets in standby.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 02:36 AM   #3
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartu View Post
If you slide it holding for a couple of secs or longer, it asks about full power off.
If only briefly, sets in standby.
I know but the only briefly isn't working anymore. In the months I've had the device I've never accidentally held it long enough for the power down screen to show up.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:21 AM   #4
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
Do you have power management on or off? If on, will it go into standby after 10 minutes or does it shut itself off completely then too?

Also, is your battery low? If the battery is low, it may shut itself off.

The only thing I would suggest is to do a soft reset. You won't lose content, but that may help.
library addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 05:24 PM   #5
Amalthia
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by library addict View Post
Do you have power management on or off? If on, will it go into standby after 10 minutes or does it shut itself off completely then too?

Also, is your battery low? If the battery is low, it may shut itself off.

The only thing I would suggest is to do a soft reset. You won't lose content, but that may help.
I checked the power management and it's On and the device was fully charged when this happened.

I also did a soft reset. When I went to bed last night the battery indictor was full but when I went to read at lunch today it's completely empty. However, I was able to read for about 40 minutes without problems.

So I'm not sure what is going on anymore. I didn't drop my device or treat it any different from normal and I've had this device for over six months now and a Sony PRS-505 for three years.

The only thing new I've done is update Calibre.

But I'm not sure how Calibre could affect these settings?

P.S. I also do not have any audio on my device. I deleted both tracks and I've never gone to turn on the music so unless it started itself I'm not sure if that's what caused the battery drain overnight.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:22 AM   #6
Amalthia
Wizard

Update: I installed the new PRS-650 firmware and that didn't seem to help. Now when I hit the home button on my device the device goes into standby mode. I'm seeing a lot of weird behavior. I think tomorrow I'm going to have to call Sony and see what they can do to help me.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:57 PM   #7
Sonylistens
Sony Customer Service Rep
Sonylistens can extract oil from cheeseSonylistens can extract oil from cheeseSonylistens can extract oil from cheeseSonylistens can extract oil from cheeseSonylistens can extract oil from cheeseSonylistens can extract oil from cheeseSonylistens can extract oil from cheeseSonylistens can extract oil from cheeseSonylistens can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony Reader
Hello Amalthia,
My name is Evelyn from Sony electronics the SonyListens Team. I do apologize for the problems you are having with your reader. Please contact us at Sonylistens@am.sony.com so that we may assist you. Include a brief description of the device, the problem, and your contact information. We look forward to hearing from you.
Best Regards,

Evelyn Perez
SonyListens Team :-)
Sonylistens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:00 PM   #8
Amalthia
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonylistens View Post
Hello Amalthia,
My name is Evelyn from Sony electronics the SonyListens Team. I do apologize for the problems you are having with your reader. Please contact us at Sonylistens@am.sony.com so that we may assist you. Include a brief description of the device, the problem, and your contact information. We look forward to hearing from you.
Best Regards,

Evelyn Perez
SonyListens Team :-)
Hi,

thanks for responding here. However, before I saw your post I'd already contacted Sony support chat line and went through a few steps to try and fix my device, none of the helped.

So I called the Sony support number and for 30 dollars I'm getting a refurbished unit and sending my own device back in for them to repair and pass onto someone else.

My device was past the 90 days warranty.

Basically the hard reset did nothing to fix that all the buttons on my device were causing it to go into standby mode and my actual standby switch would power off my device but not bring it out of standby mode.

Everyone I talked to was helpful but I hate spending 30 dollars to replace a device that's not even 6 months old yet.

Amalthia
Old 07-20-2011, 11:41 AM   #9
Witty Username
Addict
Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Kobo Touch, Kobo Libra H2O
I'm resurrecting this thread because I'm experiencing the same things - and this has happened since I used Calibre for the first time about a month ago.

Within a few days of connecting to calibre for the first time, the stand-by slider started working intermittently. Also hit-or-miss are all the other buttons; < > ,Home, re-size and Options will either put the reader into stand-by OR carry out the task they should do on a seemingly random basis. The battery also seems to need charging every single day.

I stopped connecting my reader to Calibre as that was the only thing I'd done differently in the 9 months I've had the machine, did several soft re-sets, 2 hard re-sets and it is improving a little - before the re-sets things were worse with the reader switching itself on and off randomly.

Is the use of Calibre coincidence? I've read most of the discussions about recharging and asked a question of my own to ascertain that I was charging mine correctly.

Then I found this thread ... did Sony ever say what the problem was with your reader, Amalthia?
Witty Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:25 PM   #10
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Use of calibre is a total coincidence... it does absolutely nothing to the reader except copy a book file to the memory. Occasionally the slider can be come slightly displaced physically and needs readjusting but in your case it sounds more like a problem with the reader - damaged connector internally, flaky electronics - again rare but can happen... contact Sony or (if still in warranty) your seller...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 06:34 PM   #11
evwool
Connoisseur
evwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Palm M515, Palm VX, Kindle 3 WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amalthia View Post
Hi,
My device was past the 90 days warranty.

Amalthia
90 day warranty??? Wow, thanks for the warning, Amalthia, I was thinking of choosing this unit over the Kindle 3 but I expect a minimum year's warranty for an electronic item. It looks like it's a design weakness and the item should have been repaired or replaced free of charge. You certainly shouldn't have had to pay for a refurbished item to replace it. Doesn't Australia have a Sale of Goods act like the UK where an item is expected to last a reasonable length of time? 6months for a costly electronic item is not reasonable.
This item really tips the balance in favour of Amazon's far cheaper unit and their record for excellent customer service!
evwool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 06:47 PM   #12
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
evwool, not sure where Australia comes into it as Anchorage AK is Alaska and the OP mentioned 90 days not 6 months - the standard warranty is at least a year on Sonys in the UK but maybe that was a shipping charge or similar... I'd still protest it though for a physical fault as described...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 07:06 AM   #13
Witty Username
Addict
Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Kobo Touch, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by evwool View Post
90 day warranty??? Wow, thanks for the warning, Amalthia, I was thinking of choosing this unit over the Kindle 3 but I expect a minimum year's warranty for an electronic item. It looks like it's a design weakness and the item should have been repaired or replaced free of charge. You certainly shouldn't have had to pay for a refurbished item to replace it. Doesn't Australia have a Sale of Goods act like the UK where an item is expected to last a reasonable length of time? 6months for a costly electronic item is not reasonable.
This item really tips the balance in favour of Amazon's far cheaper unit and their record for excellent customer service!
I bought my readers from Waterstone's (UK) and the warranty is for 12 months. Since I bought my first reader, Waterstone's have set up a dedicated helpline for customers. This means that Waterstone's staff deal with Sony and I only have to take the machine to my nearest branch/collect from there.

My original reader developed a battery problem within a couple of weeks (before the dedicated helpline started) and Sony did not want to know! Waterstone's staff finally sorted things out for me but I decided to trade in the original machine for the PRS-650.

Now the PRS-650 has a problem (see above) but it is only 8 months old and I spoke to the helpline this morning. They are sending it to Sony for repair - no cost to me as I will be passing the branch in town anyway this afternoon.

I still like the Sony machine - I think I've just been unlucky!
Witty Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 07:40 AM   #14
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Question Any ideas ?

Can I ask if this rings anyone's bells ? It's a query from the UK that smacks of something faulty, but I said I'd ask around (ie here!) in case the answer's blindingly obvious to one of our resident whizzes :-

"Hello.
I have a sony PRS650 that SUDDENLY stopped working.

Yesterday I read, left it in stand-by, reopened a couple of hours later, stard reading but, when I wanted to chenge page it was locked. Nothing happend.
I left it like that all night and it doesn't go in standby,. it stays as it is, locked.
I tried to connect it to the computer but it doessn't happen anything (the computer doesn't see it) and to electricity but NO THING.
I tried with the RESET button but nothing.
What's going on?????? I have been using it for 7 month and it has always been perfect!"

I thought of battery, or recharge problems somewhere anyway - but I'm nowhere near tech-savvy enough, and I hate saying "ring Sony" !
Any suggestions, I'll pass them on, but I always advise, in UK , you should always go to the retailer first, not the manufacturer.

Last edited by carpetmojo; 07-25-2011 at 07:41 AM. Reason: Sloppyness in the puncuation dep't....
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 01:34 AM   #15
Carolingian
Carolingian began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Touch PRS-650
I have not read any other forum comments about other ereaders as I have a PRS-650. It was fine initially, but I haven't used it for a while and decided to recharge it and buy some ebooks. To my surprise the battery counter was reading two (the PRS-650 has four). As I said I hadn't been using it for a long time. However, I am close to fanatical about turning off the reader even if I am planning to read again in half an hour's time. Yes! I had read other horror stories and was wary of flattening my battery through carelessness, or whatever.

In summary:

Point One. ...battery reading two slots instead of four.

Point Two. I had not used the Reader for a month or so.

Point Three. I had definitely turned it off after last using it.

Point Four. Onscreen Microsoft refuses to acknowledge device (ereader). Tells me that my device is malfunctional and not recognised by MS. Also MS tells me that I need to replace device.

Point Five. The next day no comments from MS. Battery appears to be absolutely flat.

Point Six. If Sony knows that their PRS-650 has a battery problem, why don't they allow people easy access to supply a replacement battery at a reasonable price?

Point 7 - I agree totally with the contributor who noted that everyting is disposable. Being told that it is the way life is, does not help the disgruntled consumer one little bit.

Point 8. My conclusion is that Sony were (and are) fully aware of the prevalence of this problem; and also that they think that their consumers must be absolute idiots. In addition, they must think that the PRS650 will last just as long as up to when their new eReader is released and that everyone will thow out their old PRS Series in the rush to buy the newer model. WRONG!

P.S.
Point Nine - I will never purchase a Sony EReader of any description again.
Carolingian is offline   Reply With Quote