Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-18-2011, 04:26 AM   #1
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Philip Roth wins Booker

Philip Roth has won the international version of the Man Booker Prize. Unlike the "ordinary" Man Booker, the international prize is not awarded for a particular novel, but for achievement over a period of time. Report here.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 10:38 AM   #2
SlowRain
Addict
SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: HTC 10, Asus Phonepad
...and then one of the judges resigns because she didn't like the choice. I agree with both sides: Roth is a good writer, but he really only does write endlessly about one thing. I can read about one Roth novel a year.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011...ip-roth-booker
SlowRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2011, 11:28 AM   #3
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowRain View Post
...and then one of the judges resigns because she didn't like the choice. I agree with both sides: Roth is a good writer, but he really only does write endlessly about one thing. I can read about one Roth novel a year.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011...ip-roth-booker
That often ?
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 11:44 AM   #4
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowRain View Post
...and then one of the judges resigns because she didn't like the choice. I agree with both sides: Roth is a good writer, but he really only does write endlessly about one thing. . . . http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011...ip-roth-booker
By all means, let's judge novelists by their subject matter and not their level of craftsmanship. That Raymond Chandler -- always writing about detectives. That Joyce -- always droning on about ambivalent bookworms. That Hardy and his tragic heroes. That Edith Wharton and her young women always wishing to enter into New York society. That Virginia Woolf -- always with the Freudian interior monologues. Waiter, this wine is old.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 05-19-2011 at 11:51 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 01:12 PM   #5
spellbanisher
Guru
spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle keyboard, kindle fire hd, S4, Nook hd+
So the international man booker is like a poor man's nobel.
spellbanisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2011, 02:52 PM   #6
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
By all means, let's judge novelists by their subject matter and not their level of craftsmanship. That Raymond Chandler -- always writing about detectives. That Joyce -- always droning on about ambivalent bookworms. That Hardy and his tragic heroes. That Edith Wharton and her young women always wishing to enter into New York society. That Virginia Woolf -- always with the Freudian interior monologues. Waiter, this wine is old.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 07:31 PM   #7
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (recycled), Pocketbook Inkpad X Pro
Latest news! Latest news! Starting this year, the Man Booker Prize will be known as the Macho Man Booker Prize. (Please, please, I know I deserve it, but don't shoot me.)

I love how the international version of this prize is also for a writer who writes in English. Can you get more international than that?

Quote:
Come on, SlowRain is not judging his work (actually he admits that Roth is good), he is just sharing his personal impression as a reader. Certainly one can do that without offending anyone, right?

One of my favorite writers is Henry Roth (the author of Call It Sleep) and his sexual obsession is so disturbing that Philip Roth looks like a nun in comparison. If I had to read all his books one after the other, I'd shoot myself. But he is still one of my favorite writers, as he has impressed me so much.

I still don't have an opinion about Roth (this time I mean Philip .) I have read a couple of his later works (The Dying Animal and another whose title I don't remember right now) and I was very disappointed. I've been told that those books don't make him justice. In that case, I don't understand why he keeps publishing books if he has nothing to add to his best works. I'll eventually read one of his best-known novels and I guess that day I will understand why everybody thinks he is one of the best living American writers, but right now I just think he is a creepy old man.

Last edited by Andanzas; 05-20-2011 at 12:30 AM.
Andanzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:15 PM   #8
Hoyt Clagwell
Not an Addict
Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The blue one next to the fish.
He did write in my opinion one of the funniest books of all time. "The Great American Novel"

Quote:
Gil Gamesh, the only pitcher who ever literally tried to kill the umpire. The ex-con first baseman, John Baal, "The Babe Ruth of the Big House," who never hit a home run sober. If you've never heard of them—or of the Ruppert Mundys, the only homeless big-league ball team in American history—it's because of the Communist plot, and the capitalist scandal, that expunged the entire Patriot League from baseball memory.

In this ribald, richly imagined, and wickedly satiric novel, Roth turns baseball's status as national pastime and myth into an occasion for unfettered picaresque farce, replete with heroism and perfidy, ebullient wordplay and a cast of characters that includes the House Un-American Activities Committee.
Hoyt Clagwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:46 PM   #9
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Those subjects are more palatable in large doses than Roth's penis.

(and I actually like many of his novels)
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 10:45 PM   #10
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andanzas View Post
Come on, SlowRain is not judging his work (actually he admits that Roth is good), he is just sharing his personal impression as a reader. Certainly one can do that without offending anyone, right?
(A) I'm responding to the link, which I included in my quote. A judge quit over the decision to honor Roth, spoke to the press and said rather emphatically that she disagreed with the decision because of her distaste for Roth's subject matter. Apparently, she thought Anne Tyler was a better writer.

(B) If "one" may offer personal reasons for finding Roth unpleasant without offending anyone else, then presumably I'm permitted to question someone else's logic without offending anyone, either.

(C) For the love of Millicent Oatquiver, I was not being entirely serious (hence the snicker of my esteemed colleague).

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 05-19-2011 at 11:24 PM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 10:53 PM   #11
SlowRain
Addict
SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andanzas View Post
I have read a couple of his later works (The Dying Animal and another whose title I don't remember right now) and I was very disappointed. I've been told that those books don't make him justice.
I've read about half a dozen of his novels now, and The Dying Animal is my least favorite; Operation Shylock is my second least favorite. My favorite is The Human Stain, despite all the praise that gets heaped on American Pastoral, which is still a good book in its own way. My second favorite is a tie between Everyman and The Plot Against America--the latter being the most non-Roth-like novel of his that I've read despite Philip Roth being the main character.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:59 PM   #12
SlowRain
Addict

The article describes Carmen Callil as the founder of a feminist publishing house. I'm not a feminist, but I understand her point of view and still don't disagree with her.

I wonder if there would be the same level of defense for a Neo-Nazi who had excellent craftsmanship.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:11 PM   #13
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (recycled), Pocketbook Inkpad X Pro
Quote:
(A) I'm responding to the link, which I included in my quote. A judge quit over the decision to honor Roth, spoke to the press and said rather emphatically that she disagreed with the decision because of her distaste for Roth's subject matter. Apparently, she thought Anne Tyler was a better writer.

(B) If "one" may offer personal reasons for finding Roth unpleasant without offending anyone else, then presumably I'm permitted to question someone else's logic without offending anyone, either.
I apologize. I didn't notice you were responding to the link and I misunderstood your words.
Andanzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 11:26 PM   #14
shibamistress
Groupie
shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KSO (3G), Nook Color, android apps
Huh. I certainly think there are better writers for this award to go to (both content and craftwise), but it's also pretty annoying that one of the judges resigned in protest. She was outvoted, I presume, so she might as well be gracious about the process, and agree to disagree. But then, the big awards are very political, and people often take themselves very seriously.

But take this with a grain of salt: I'm a somewhat embittered writer and academic who is pretty sick of the incestuous nature of awards.
shibamistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 03:06 AM   #15
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
No shortage of books available in Amazon for an Aussie. I've never read him before. I'll make sure I put something of his on my TBR list.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote