Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-19-2010, 04:27 AM   #1
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
Exclamation Remove or undo K3 update(s)

Is there a way to undo or remove updates from the Kindle 3. I want to restore my K3 to the way I received it day one.

When I got my K3 I had no pauses when turning the page. The page turns were really fast and I was very impressed. I never saw any black as the page refreshed itself. Once the 3.0.1 update was pushed thru my page turns slowed down to that of my K1 [side by side comparison]. When turning the page I could see an entire legible black page for at least one second. This screen shows itself even when bookmarking. Additionally, when selecting an item my K3 now shows a large black bar instead of the line being selected.

I upgraded to 3.0.2 but my page turns, while somewhat faster, are no where near what they were "pre-update", and all other issues still apply.

Anyone know how to back off the unwelcome updates? Thank you in advance for your help.

Last edited by pghaworth; 09-19-2010 at 07:59 AM.
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 05:07 AM   #2
Cloysterpete
Cloysterpete began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
All Kindle's have the flash to black, it's how e-ink refreshes the screen so if you didn't see it on firmware 3.0 then you must have had your eyes closed.

But sorry I don't know if it's possible to go back to the old firmware after putting on the improved release.
Cloysterpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2010, 05:15 AM   #3
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I had the anomaly K3 then because I had no flash, NONE, or if I had one, it was so little as to be completely unnoticeable, AND there was no flash when I put a bookmark in place. Now there is, and it is very noticeable. Even my 2008 K1 doesn't flash black when I bookmark the page. If my page turns are as slow as my K1 and K2 what the point of keeping the K3. I am not the only one who experienced this page turn slow-down phenomenon after the 3.0.1 update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloysterpete View Post
All Kindle's have the flash to black, it's how e-ink refreshes the screen so if you didn't see it on firmware 3.0 then you must have had your eyes closed.
Just understand that while this may be your experience, it was not mine prior to the 3.0.1 update. The change was so striking that it made me angry and I can't read on it anymore. If I can't fix it it's going back until they get this resolved.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:22 AM   #4
Cloysterpete

If you really didn't have that black flash you could have sold it on ebay for a fair bit of cash as all the kindle 3 I've checked in online vids or something (like 20+ of them) have the black flash.

There is no point sending it back unless your going to start reading on an ipad or something, as all e-readers hat use e-ink have the back flash also a future firmware update won't fix it as it's designed to operate that way.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:26 AM   #5
Cloysterpete

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghaworth View Post
If my page turns are as slow as my K1 and K2 what the point of keeping the K3. I am not the only one who experienced this page turn slow-down phenomenon after the 3.0.1 update.
The point is the screen contrast is far better than the K1 or K2, what do you spend more time doing?, reading the page of the book or spending 1 second changing the page?. I could never use a kindle 1 or 2 with a poorer screen after using the K3.

Oh and I had the slow page turns myself, think they are gone now with 3.02 but I've not tested in the sun yet.
Advert
Old 09-19-2010, 05:27 AM   #6
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

I'm here with a real issue asking for real help, while it appears you are only here to call me a liar. Why?
Old 09-19-2010, 05:30 AM   #7
Cloysterpete

Quote:
I'm here with a real issue asking for real help, while it appears you are only here to call me a liar. Why?
It is my belief that each and every Kindle has the flash to black, I will eat my words if you find me a YouTube video showing me a single Kindle (any gen) that doesn't do this.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:30 AM   #8
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

The point IS that the slow page turns are gone with the most recent update for some, not all. If I see black I can't read well, now can I? The page turns are as slow as my K1 so where's the promised improvement [post-update]? I never had an issue with my K1, not one. No need to pay to have a lesser reading experience.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:30 AM   #9
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloysterpete View Post
It is my belief that each and every Kindle has the flash to black, I will eat my words if you find me a YouTube video showing me a single Kindle (any gen) that doesn't do this.
Again, why do you come to this thread to call me a liar?
Old 09-19-2010, 05:33 AM   #10
Cloysterpete

But you don't seem to understand, everyone has this flash to black, everyone always has had it, going back to 3.0 won't change that. Post a video so we can see how long your flash to black is, around 1 second is perfectly normal.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:34 AM   #11
Cloysterpete

Quote:
Again, why do you come to this thread to call me a liar?
Did I not just explain my reason for doubting how your Kindle was operating with 3.0?.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:35 AM   #12
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

Did you not read any of my posts? Please go back and reread, THEN comment, and only then. I now have NOTICEABLE page turns while before I did not. My reading experience is lessened. I asked for help in restoring to pre-update status. Why does this bother you?
Old 09-19-2010, 05:36 AM   #13
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

Thank you for helping me keep this at the top.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:37 AM   #14
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Everyone has a different experience when using ereaders - I can remember when I first got my K3 I was disappointed because the black on the page turns was a lot more noticeable than on my K2. With the firmware updates, my K3 is much better and I don't seem to notice the page turning black between page turns even though it does.

So I just think perhaps for some people this blacking on the page turns appears worse and I'm also sure I read somewhere that no two eink screens are ever identical anyway so a replacement might actually work best for the OP.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 05:42 AM   #15
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

Good points all. I am on the verge of sending it back. I got one replacement today but the turns are still very slow. If I can't restore my original speed by removing the updates and get the black screens to go away, even from places they don't show up on my K1 and K2, I have no choice but to return them both. Both of my other Kindles are as fast, which wasn't the case before the first update. It's a real disappointment. I was loving my K3 until the fateful update.