Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-09-2010, 10:05 AM   #1
PaulJWK
PaulJWK began at the beginning.

Device: none
Ebook Research

Hi All,

My name is Paul, and I am a new addition to MobileRead.

I am currently conducting a survey for my Masters in Publishing at UCL in the UK, to try and gauge public interest in serial publications in electronic formats.

If you can spare a couple of minutes to complete this survey your help will be greatly appreciated. If you know of anyone else who might also be interested please pass it. The questionnaire can be found at this address: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/S3PRLZX

If you have any questions about this survey please contact me either through this site or on paul.kirkham.09@ucl.ac.uk

Best Regards and thank you very much for your help,

Paul Kirkham
MA Publishing
UCL
PaulJWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 10:15 AM   #2
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Paul, I did try to complete your survey, however, I cannot answer Q7. It asks, "How often would you like chapters to be released for a serial novel" (or something like that. The answer for me is 'never' as I'm not interested in serial novels, but it will not let me proceed until I pick 'Daily', 'Weekly' or ''Monthly'. At this point I closed the survey as any answer I gave would be misleading.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2010, 10:39 AM   #3
PaulJWK
PaulJWK began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi Bilbo,

My aim in that question was to discover people's preferred choice from those 3 options as it would be useful to know learn what ebook readers would consider a fair interval between instalments.

However, you make a good point and it is now possible to skip that question if you so choose.

Regards

Paul
PaulJWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 10:44 AM   #4
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Whoops Question #10 .......

I answered 'unemployed' - okay, partly correct, but there is no option for "Retired!"
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 11:45 AM   #5
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
You listed the iPad as an example of an ebook reader. It's no more an ebook reader in the sense the Kindle is than it's a game console in the sense the Xbox is. It's a general-purpose tablet computer that has an ebook reading app; you could have just as well included the Nintendo DS (yes, you can read ebooks with it). This is going to skew your results some.

Also, I think there is a pro-serial bias that may also skew the results. The questions seemed more like "How much sugar do you like in your coffee?" with no options for "I hate coffee and will only drink it if no better source of caffeine is available." Not everyone is of a temperament which can withstand serials. I'm just too impatient, and I hate getting interrupted just when things are getting interesting. I'd rather wait a year for the whole thing to be available than read it bit by bit.

The question on electronic reading was also a bit confusing, percentage-wise. I was unsure on exactly what constituted "reading" for the purpose of the question. Books, obviously, and you mentioned online newspapers. But what about forums like this one? Garden catalogs that show up in my snail mail? (I guess it proves that I'm a garden geek when the seed catalogs go into the bathroom reading rack with the magazines!) Mail in general, both p- and e-? That might need to be clarified a bit. And how does it break down between reading for pleasure, personal use (bills, news, etc.), and work, if one's job requires regular reading of something?

Still, overall a better survey than many I've seen. Just in case, though, I'm not sure if I answered the "why did you buy an ereader?" question fully, In case I left it out (I'm multitasking at the moment) my answer should have included, as the main reason: "So I could read Project Gutenberg in bed."
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2010, 11:54 AM   #6
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
Seemed like the focus on the survey was on producing serial style ebooks.

Sorry but I don't see the point. Sure King did it (once) in paper with the Green Mile
But that is a 1 trick pony, he didn't do it again did he?

For "asking" ebook readers what they think + 10 points.
For focusing on the wrong point (Serially releasing ebook chapters)- 2 points.
For apparently trying to figure a way to get even more money out of consumers - 4 points.

Result 4 out of 10.

Advice, forget the fancy stuff. Build a better ebook with perfect formatting, variety of formats to choose from, from good authors with good story's. Price them reasonably, while watching your overhead and you'll make money.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 12:27 PM   #7
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Did anyone else read "my Masters in publishing" as a double entendre?
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 01:47 PM   #8
jasonfedelem
Zealot
jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Gen2
Filled out the survey. Would have liked to see it focus more on pricing for periodicals and regular books than serial books, which really do not interest me that much.
jasonfedelem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 02:46 PM   #9
dickon25
Groupie
dickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505. Pocketbook Inkpad 840
Hi Paul,

I completed your survey because you asked nicely . However, I felt you should have added the option 'I wouldn't read an ebook by serial chapters and would never pay for them'. Otherwise a poll of the ereading public might wrongly suggest they would all read a book in that format and the only thing to settle is the price and frequency of chapters. I may be wrong (and your survey results will give us a clue!) but I think that is a long way from the reality.

Good luck!
Chris
dickon25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 03:26 PM   #10
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by luqmaninbmore View Post
Did anyone else read "my Masters in publishing" as a double entendre?
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 03:31 PM   #11
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
+1
Meaning I agree with everything above.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 05:07 PM   #12
MmavisO
Seeker
MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Asus TF, PB 360, Jetbook Lite
Paul, I think Question 2 is confusing. "Do you own an ereader..." Then the next part is "If you do not own one...". here comes the confusing part: "If you answered yes to the last two questions..." To me, those are mutally exclusive. I either own an ereader (whether an Ipad is an ereader notwithstanding) or I don't. So how can I answer yes to both parts? If the last part was simply worded as "Are you considering purchasing an ereader?" then it would cover those of us who are serial ereader buyers as well as those who are looking for their first ereader. The essay part could then be answered by those who answered yes to both parts.

Otherwise, I agree with what has been said above--kudos for asking, but perhaps the survey could have been better worded.

And luqmaninbmore--I did a bit of a double take at the double entendre, too! Glad I wasn't the only one!
MmavisO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 05:29 PM   #13
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
OH! Finally. It's been a long, long time since I was a grad student, and then only part time... so my Boss got first dibs, and the profs never really had a chance
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 06:12 PM   #14
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
The main problem with serials, whether you pay for them or not, is whether the writer will ever finish them. For that reason, I would never read one until it was finished.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 12:32 AM   #15
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
The main problem with serials, whether you pay for them or not, is whether the writer will ever finish them. For that reason, I would never read one until it was finished.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote