Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-05-2010, 03:24 PM   #1
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Strange spam mail

Very little gets past Gmail's spam filters, but I got this really odd spam mail in my inbox today (and one like it a few months ago). Does anyone know anything about what this is?

I really wonder what exactly the product is. It's obviously designed to get through the filters, but there were no links and no attachments

Nothing but this:

Hello SIR/MADAM
Am Mr William Diesel and i will Like to Order for Some Pine Buffet Hutch size W-39 1/2" x D-18 1/2" x H 76 1/2" and i will Like to know if you have the Pine Buffet Hutch in Stock or some get some for and also the price for each as well...Thank you and Kindly email me Back with the price and the Type of Payment you Accept As Well..Thanks

Kindest Regard,
Mr Williams...
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 03:33 PM   #2
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
This is very similar to current scams going on now with building supply stores. A badly written (grammar-wise) email asks for some item (usually shingles or specialty lumber) and asks for the type of payment you will accept. If you respond, they will provide a valid credit card number (it just doesn't belong to them) that will process successfully that day. If you respond and balk, they will either up their promised payment amount or tell you that they belong to a church organization buying stuff to rebuild Haiti. And they do pick up the stuff.

A few days later, your credit card processing company sends you a nice charge back notice - and tells you that the card number was stolen - and you are out the full amount.

These scams are looking for someone who will accept their stolen credit card numbers and process transactions. I don't know what your Gmail account name is, but you probably got one of these by mistake. At my workplace, our website "info" email box gets at least one a week. Just delete immediately.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2010, 03:34 PM   #3
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Doesn't look like spam. They want to buy from you and not sell you something. I reckon you just have a gmail address similar to the seller of hutches.

EDIT: More likely what poohbear said, a scam, but you're the unwitting recipient because of a confusion with email addresses.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 03:36 PM   #4
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Aha! That makes more sense. I just couldn't understand how the scam would work by sending this to private persons. Thanks for clearing it up
Old 07-05-2010, 03:38 PM   #5
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
Doesn't look like spam. They want to buy from you and not sell you something. I reckon you just have a gmail address similar to the seller of hutches.
That was what befuddled me. They didn't want to sell anything!
Advert
Old 07-06-2010, 04:03 AM   #6
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Report them as spam.
Gmail catches them eventually.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 04:33 AM   #7
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I only get spam about my non-existing WoW account... You wouldn't want to know how often I've been banned!

Right now, I'm wallowing in the invites for the new beta...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 06:56 AM   #8
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Rule of thumb: Anyone dumb enough to sign off an email with Mr, Mrs or Miss is a spammer. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 08:34 AM   #9
MJK2111
FUBAR!
MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
Very little gets past Gmail's spam filters, but I got this really odd spam mail in my inbox today (and one like it a few months ago). Does anyone know anything about what this is?
Greetings Kind Sir or Madam,

I appreciated your concern and will attempt to offer some form of assistance. Recently my wife's mother's second cousin got same email from outside the national country borders. And was as equally confused as you, good sir or madam. To be fixed, kindly send me your bank routing number and code pin for transmittals to banks not of the United States. Upon receipt of sufficient data to form information necessary, we will cordially deduct the proper currency to rectemfy the situation.
MJK2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 08:47 AM   #10
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJK2111 View Post
Greetings Kind Sir or Madam,

I appreciated your concern and will attempt to offer some form of assistance. Recently my wife's mother's second cousin got same email from outside the national country borders. And was as equally confused as you, good sir or madam. To be fixed, kindly send me your bank routing number and code pin for transmittals to banks not of the United States. Upon receipt of sufficient data to form information necessary, we will cordially deduct the proper currency to rectemfy the situation.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:21 AM   #11
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I only get spam about my non-existing WoW account... You wouldn't want to know how often I've been banned!
I get the same emails.

I dont play WOW and never have.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote