Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-02-2010, 08:41 AM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Boycott Amazon's eBooks

From an email message received from Amazon.

Quote:
We’re excited to announce that all 5 titles in author F. Paul Wilson’s award-winning The LaNague Federation series are available for the first time in digital format, exclusively on Kindle.
It's time we boycotted Amazon's eBooks until they stop this exclusive nonsense. Given the agency mess we have now, the last thing we need is exclusive content at any one store. So I say we boycott Amazon until they give up on this.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 09:17 AM   #2
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Were this a title by a major publisher, I'd see your point. But since he's self-publishing, it looks to me like it's "exclusive because it's convenient" (or perhaps because he uses Topaz), and not "exclusive because Amazon is paying him more money"...
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2010, 09:26 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It's time we boycotted Amazon's eBooks until they stop this exclusive nonsense. Given the agency mess we have now, the last thing we need is exclusive content at any one store. So I say we boycott Amazon until they give up on this.
Go ahead, Jon. I'm sure that you not buying books from them will soon bring Amazon to its knees.

In the mean time, I entirely support the right of an author to distribute their work in whatever way that they choose.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 09:40 AM   #4
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
I have to agree w/ ATimson

Despise Topaz but go Indie Pub!
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 07:33 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
These are DRM-free AZW ebooks. So they are only sold by Amazon, but they are usable on any device. For ePub, format shift using Calibre.

It is entirely rational for an author with limited time and resources available to invest in preparing ebooks to produce them for the Kindle only. They are after all a huge fraction of the total market, particularly in the US. If Amazon will actually pay the author for exclusivity, then that is icing on the cake.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2010, 07:39 PM   #6
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Quote:
It's time we boycotted Amazon's eBooks until they stop this exclusive nonsense.
How about you boycot the agency model cartel? That at least would make sense...

Oh, right, that'd mean market forces would be in play. My bad!

(And I won't buy from Amazon because of their contingency fee scam, but if an author choses not to sell to me by say going Kindle Only... well, it's their choice. The second hand store beckons)
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 08:32 PM   #7
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
I don't care about the exclusives. More power to Amazon and it's authors -- and to everyone else as well. If someone sells a book only through a store/format that I don't have access to...well....I'll just read other books.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 09:17 PM   #8
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Haven't you perpetually boycotted Amazon for some reason or another since day one?
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 09:23 PM   #9
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
I'm not miffed about exclusives either. But one has to ensure one doesn't become too exclusive ... the name of the game remains to "be sold and be read", not necessarily in that order, but ultimately both conditions apply. This would not be a trigger for a boycott in my household.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 09:56 PM   #10
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
Haven't you perpetually boycotted Amazon for some reason or another since day one?
Only their ebooks.
Old 04-03-2010, 01:54 AM   #11
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
From an email message received from Amazon.

F. Paul Wilson is right to go through Amazon, and had you actually taken the time to *look* at the deals, you'd have agreed that his actions are customer-friendly. He's right. You're wrong. And yes, I snatched up all the LaNague series at that wonderful price!

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 02:51 AM   #12
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Well, i don't have a reader that read mobi anymoire. So i'll have trouble buying from amazon even if I wanted to.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 10:18 AM   #13
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Well, i don't have a reader that read mobi anymoire. So i'll have trouble buying from amazon even if I wanted to.
It does involve extra steps, but for DRM-free Kindle books you can download to Kindle for PC (or Kindle for Mac) and then format shift using Calibre. Most Kindle ebooks are not DRM-free, but the point and click script unswindle.pyw will strip K4PC DRM infested AZWs for you (watch out for the TOPAZ ebooks, which are harder to convert). This does not work on Macs though.

You could well ask if all this is worth it, particularly since Amazon has lost its price advantage for ebooks from most major publishers. Now ebook stores will be judged primarily on buying experience and customer support. The Kindle store is one of the best for finding and buying ebooks and has unrivaled customer support.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 11:12 AM   #14
DawnFalcon
Banned

So...erm...where's the Amazon search option for non-DRM?
Old 04-03-2010, 01:15 PM   #15
Mike4672
Mike4672 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 4, LG G3
Check under Product Details:

When you see Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited that means that it's DRM free.
Mike4672 is offline   Reply With Quote