Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 01-31-2010, 07:00 AM   #31
KunoK
Connoisseur
KunoK will become famous soon enoughKunoK will become famous soon enoughKunoK will become famous soon enoughKunoK will become famous soon enoughKunoK will become famous soon enoughKunoK will become famous soon enough

Device: Gen3, Boox 60, K3, Sony T1, Sandra has a Sony505, 650, K3
If using the MOBI FW 1.5 with dictionaries, how does it work?
Can I use it on non drm epub books?
If yes, is there a dictionary build in, or do you install one?
If you need to install a dictionary, could anyone please provide a link to a description of how to?
KunoK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 07:01 AM   #32
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The Mobi firmware (1.5) doesn't support ePub at all.

A dictionary is just a Mobi book; you install it as you would any other book.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2010, 09:17 AM   #33
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by KunoK View Post
If using the MOBI FW 1.5 with dictionaries, how does it work?
Menu button, scroll down to lookup, then use the arrows to point to the word and press menu button again.

Quote:
Can I use it on non drm epub books?
As Harry says, no.....

Quote:
If yes, is there a dictionary build in, or do you install one?
As above or not applicable.

Quote:
If you need to install a dictionary, could anyone please provide a link to a description of how to?
Mobi books only ....

Install as if it were a 'normal' book - preferably on the root directory in ebooks folder.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 05:29 PM   #34
KunoK
Connoisseur
KunoK will become famous soon enoughKunoK will become famous soon enoughKunoK will become famous soon enoughKunoK will become famous soon enoughKunoK will become famous soon enoughKunoK will become famous soon enough

Again, thanks for the replies. I will stay with the epub fw. It would have been nice with a dictionary, but it is not paramount. Still, one day I will get a reader with dictionary capability for epub books. It will not be a prs-600, because of the glare/contrast thing described in many threads.
Old 02-08-2010, 02:53 PM   #35
KunoK
Connoisseur

I changed my mind and installed 1.5. The only epub, I can use now, is without drm since they are the only ones I can convert to mobipocket. Bought the Oxford pocket dictionary. I think the gen3 is faster than when using the 2.0 firmware. I am little tempted to expand with a pocketbook, but until now I have not convinced myself, I should buy something I don't really need.
Advert
Old 02-08-2010, 03:08 PM   #36
T_Frain_K
Booyah!
T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Cybook Gen3 // Samsung Galaxy S
Then, why did you buy the reader in the first place?
Just kidding, I know I bought mine though I did not need it.
T_Frain_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:39 PM   #37
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by KunoK View Post
I originally ordered a bebook. I ran into a disagreement with Endless Ideas about whether it is fair business to draw the payment from my account, and then send me a mail saying that they are out of stock, and expect to ship within 1.5 weeks.

As a result I am now considering a Cybook. I would go for the GEN3 since I prefer the bigger display. I see a lot of positive posts about the opus, and I wonder if it has any advantages over the GEN3, that I ought to know about.

I plan to use it for epub, but would like to use for pdf as well.
If it's up to those units, I'd definitely go for Opus. Gen3, in my opinion, is a bit "outdated".
Like JSWolf wrote: If you're into PDF, you might consider alternatives. On 5", PDFs only make sense in reflow (if the respective unit even offers zoom, not all do). But very often, that's the opposite you want to have with PDFs. Original idea of PDFs was, to "conserve" the layout.
So, if you're into "professional" PDFs, they're usually letter/A4. The closer the display to that size, the better. Meaning 8" or bigger.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 02:56 PM   #38
KunoK
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Frain_K View Post
Then, why did you buy the reader in the first place?
Just kidding, I know I bought mine though I did not need it.
Although you are just kidding, I find the point interesting. It all comes down to the interpretation of "need". One definition could be that you need food, cloths, and a home. Another could be that it is absolutely impossible to get your live working without 2 cars in the garage.

I discovered readers, after I had given Sandra one for Christmas. I could see that it was smarter to bring a lot of books with you on the train or bus, without having to carry physical books. Also the weight and size is smaller than one book. If I read in the Sherlock Holmes omnibus, it is much easier sitting with the reader than with my printed complete Sherlock Holmes.

Well, so far I have defined "need" as having one reader, but I can feel the itch for beginning to collect them.

On another note, I think I like the "outdated" readers quite well. My priority is not for some hitech device but rather, display readability, long battery life, low weight. I must confess, that a dictionary is great.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:20 AM   #39
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
I have a question concerning the readability of manga. I've seen the scroll times for these two devices are quite reduced, but I haven't been able to find a proof reading of manga (or comics in general) . Can anyone give some feedback concerning that?
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote