Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 01-09-2010, 12:07 PM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
While i hold my opus both hand, i have no problem with using the butons one hand. Though most of time, I use the midle button when using the opus one handed.
Being able to use it one hand is a big plus against p-book or the gen3.
I think that's actually a general characteristic of 5" readers; the Pocketbook 360 can equally comfortably be used one-handed.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 02:04 PM   #17
Vesper
Addict
Vesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-350, Cybook Gen3, Palm T|X
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkelly View Post
I've never touched a Gen3 so I can't provide a comparison between it and the Opus I own. But what I can say about the Opus (which I've said in other posts you may have seen) is that the buttons are harder to press than I would like.
I have Gen3 for... well, since February 2008, and buttons are still too hard to press. And that annoying click...

DrS
Vesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2010, 04:02 PM   #18
KunoK
Connoisseur
KunoK will become famous soon enoughKunoK will become famous soon enoughKunoK will become famous soon enoughKunoK will become famous soon enoughKunoK will become famous soon enoughKunoK will become famous soon enough

Device: Gen3, Boox 60, K3, Sony T1, Sandra has a Sony505, 650, K3
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkelly View Post
No matter which Bookeen device you choose, you'll have the option of flashing the firmware to switch from epub to mobipocket if you find that you don't like the way epub books appear on the reader. You can even easily switch between epub and mobipocket at will without losing the ebooks already on the reader.

I've never touched a Gen3 so I can't provide a comparison between it and the Opus I own. But what I can say about the Opus (which I've said in other posts you may have seen) is that the buttons are harder to press than I would like. Normally I wouldn't care, but when this is combined with the smooth rounded edges of the device, I find that I'm unable to hold the device one-handed and use the two side buttons to advance the page because I have no grip. I've adapted by using the navigation button exclusively to advance the page.

While I'm disappointed that I can't comfortably use the side buttons, I'm not suggesting that what I've described is a negative aspect of the Opus. I'm just relaying my experience for other to use, or not use, as they want. Someone else with different sized hands may have a different experience. And I'm sure that a well-made case, in which the reader could reside while being used, would take care of this situation. (I think I need to start looking for a nice case with a flip cover.)
I have a feeling that the epub format will prevail, so this will be my primary format. I don't have any ebooks yet, and I plan to buy only epub when possible. You mention that I can always switch to mobiread. Do the cybooks not format epub well? Or do epub books not format as well as mobiread in general?
KunoK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 04:52 PM   #19
bkelly
bkelly is on a distinguished road

Device: Cybook Opus, Dell Axim X51V
Most of the epub books I viewed on the Opus weren't formatted well, and it wasn't because of the reader. The most prevalent issue was that the left/right/bottom margins were very large, leaving little room for text. While this might not be an issue on a larger screen, it's a huge issue (for me) on my 5-inch screen! The Mobipocket format uses much more of the screen, and I can change the font to whatever I want, which is something epub books don't always allow.
bkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 05:09 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've even stripped off the margins from some letter sized PDF and on a 6" screen, they are not wonderful. So really, if PDF is important, get a device with a screen larger then 6". If you do plan on viewing some PDF but not as your main format, go for the 6" screen as the PDF viewing will be better then on a 5" screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2010, 05:12 PM   #21
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Bookeen is slow with update, but their support when you REALLY need them is one of the best I've seen.
No, they are not so good at all. They do not acknowledge that they have received a Cybook you have sent to them. Then they send it back without telling you that it is fixed. They also manage to send it in a way that you do not get notification from the transport company (they just try to deliver). They also do not pay for postage for you sending the device which they should do.

A good company send you a box that you just use and you do not have to pay anything. This is for example how it worked when my phone had to be sent in to be fixed. It did not cost me anything. It cost me 30 Euro to get my Gen 3 fixed and that should have been nothing if it had been a good support.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 05:14 PM   #22
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Utterly untrue, Jon. When things go wrong, Bookeen's support is excellent. May I ask what bad experience you have personally had with Bookeen? You don't even own a Bookeen device, do you, so I hardly think that you're in a position to pass judgement on something that you know nothing about.
Well, he can read what people write here. It is totally untrue that you need personal experience to pass judgement.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 03:52 AM   #23
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
They do not acknowledge that they have received a Cybook you have sent to them.
They also manage to send it in a way that you do not get notification from the transport company (they just try to deliver).
Bookeen did sent me a mail when my cybook left.
Though only the post's website told me the package had arrived.

Quote:
A good company send you a box that you just use and you do not have to pay anything. This is for example how it worked when my phone had to be sent in to be fixed. It did not cost me anything. It cost me 30 Euro to get my Gen 3 fixed and that should have been nothing if it had been a good support.
Well, i'll rather pay for postage, than lost days waiting for a box...
And i do remember giving up getting someting fixed, because postage to the US costed as much as getting a new one...
And in my case, i didn't had much to say, as I was the one stupid enough to hit the screen and broke it.

Last edited by EowynCarter; 01-10-2010 at 03:59 AM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 02:12 PM   #24
KunoK
Connoisseur
KunoK will become famous soon enoughKunoK will become famous soon enoughKunoK will become famous soon enoughKunoK will become famous soon enoughKunoK will become famous soon enoughKunoK will become famous soon enough

I have had my gen3 for almost a week, and I love it. Actually, what I like is the concept of ebook readers. Small unit, display is nice to read, display can continue displaying without power consumption. I wouldn't have a touch screen, which degrades the display quality, even if only a little. I don't need any wireless, however a dictionary might be a nice. English is not my native language, and I encounter words I simply don't know from time to time.

I am revisiting Sherlock Holmes at the moment. I started with my complete SH printed edition. Then I continued with a Gutenberg download, and now I have found the omnibus here at MR. An ebook reader is a great way to read.

I have a feeling, I could end up being one of those guys with a long list of readers, but let's see.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:20 PM   #25
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Bookeen just announced the Orizon (or something) that they look to price at $250... it will contain the ePub DRM firmware and also has a touch screen and WiFi.

http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives...ny_colors.html

Interesting that there is nothing on their web site about it at all.

BOb

....and you are surprised ....

take a good look at Jon; would you take advice from someone who looks like a jelly stuffed into a pair of flowery green wellies ? ('part from fact he has no Bookeen product).
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 03:03 PM   #26
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KunoK View Post
I however a dictionary might be a nice. English is not my native language, and I encounter words I simply don't know from time to time.
You know that your Gen3 can use MobiPocket format dictionaries?
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 04:05 PM   #27
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Gen3 and Opus, both, with FW 1.5. I can say it
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 05:16 AM   #28
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
<--- take a good look at Jon; would you take advice from someone who looks like a jelly stuffed into a pair of flowery green wellies ? ('part from fact he has no Bookeen product).

Screenshot !
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 03:59 PM   #29
KunoK
Connoisseur

I think I will stay with epub, but I didn't know the mobipocket version could use a dictionary. Thanks for telling me.
Old 01-27-2010, 01:33 PM   #30
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzil View Post
Screenshot !

eeekkk ! he's changed ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote