Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-21-2009, 02:47 PM   #46
ru.ereader
ru.ereader began at the beginning.

Device: None
If screen quality on PRS-600 is about the same as on PRS-700 what was the point of discontinuing of PRS-700 which IN ADDITION has built-in light ?
ru.ereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 03:08 PM   #47
oliverh72
oliverh72 can extract oil from cheeseoliverh72 can extract oil from cheeseoliverh72 can extract oil from cheeseoliverh72 can extract oil from cheeseoliverh72 can extract oil from cheeseoliverh72 can extract oil from cheeseoliverh72 can extract oil from cheeseoliverh72 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505r
Hi all,

Okay I went and took another look and took some better photos. You can see all the photos here: http://www.positivebias.com/ebooks/ including some taken directly next to the prs700. After seeing them side by side again, I would say that the 600 is better than the 700, marginally. The 300 and 505 are definitely crisper though, and handle glare much better, as you can see in the first 2 photos in the gallery.

I'm also uploading a much longer video which shows the 505, 300 and 600 side by side with a good example of the different colors of the readers as well as how they handle glare.

I was even considering the 300 until I saw that it is plastic all the way along the edge as opposed to shiny metal like all the others. I guess they have to hit a price point somehow, right?

The movie can be found here: http://www.positivebias.com/ebooks/ebookreaders.mov at about 1:30 MST (Central)... sorry, it's still uploading.

I'll field any question I can answer, if people have them.

Oliver
oliverh72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2009, 03:29 PM   #48
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (recycled), Pocketbook Inkpad X Pro
Thanks a lot for the pictures! I guess I'll have to see one in person, as to me the PRS-600 doesn't look just "marginally" better than the PRS-700 in your pics. In my opinion it looks quite better, actually.

Last edited by Andanzas; 08-21-2009 at 03:32 PM.
Andanzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 03:34 PM   #49
SHOECHICK
Addict
SHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheese

Device: Red Sony 505 and Ipad
I'm such a girl, I love that Pink
SHOECHICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 03:44 PM   #50
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
The screen quality of PRS-600 doesn't look too bad. I think the bright lights in the SonyStyle store don't help.

From the video I noticed that the sample texts on both PRS-300 and PRS-600 are EPUB. And they are not right justified, so that bug must have not been fixed.
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2009, 03:45 PM   #51
bhs
bhs began at the beginning.

Device: PRS600
Other than the glare issue, 600 looks good and is acceptable to me. Hmm... I will get a 600!
bhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 03:53 PM   #52
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Gen3 PRS-505 PRS-600 PB360 PB302 K2 Opus BebookMini OnyxBoox K3 KDXG
Thank you for the pics! It's not too crisp, but it look all right for my needs, and the red, while not that vibrant, is really lovely. Also, I never had the opportunity of seeing a 700, but from your photos the difference is quite heavy, and decidedly on 600's favour.
Juliette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 04:06 PM   #53
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkupan View Post
The screen quality of PRS-600 doesn't look too bad. I think the bright lights in the SonyStyle store don't help.

From the video I noticed that the sample texts on both PRS-300 and PRS-600 are EPUB. And they are not right justified, so that bug must have not been fixed.
Unless the ePub specifies to be full justified, it won't be. So that video is really no indication at all.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 04:07 PM   #54
komugi
Zealot
komugi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.komugi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.komugi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Surface Pro 3, HTC 10, Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andanzas View Post
Thanks a lot for the pictures! I guess I'll have to see one in person, as to me the PRS-600 doesn't look just "marginally" better than the PRS-700 in your pics. In my opinion it looks quite better, actually.
I think it only looks marginally better. It isn't the same as PRS-505, if it was the same as PRS-505, in terms of crisp text, I would toss my 700 in a minute. But looking at 600/700, I think I'll keep my 700 simply because the text is still blurred.
komugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 04:33 PM   #55
wachuko
eBook Worm
wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/ Sony PRS-505/PRS-600 Silver/PRS-T1
Seems Sony in Canada is doing well... all PRS-600 currently out of stock
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 04:43 PM   #56
lisreed
Addict
lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.

Device: Nook GlowLight 3
In case any one missed it another member has purchased the PRS-600 in Canada and has some pictures and a video. Really shows the glare issues.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=53370&page=10
lisreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 04:50 PM   #57
SHOECHICK
Addict
SHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheese

Device: Red Sony 505 and Ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
Seems Sony in Canada is doing well... all PRS-600 currently out of stock
Wow, that's changed in the last 1/2 hour, hopefully they're lowering their price!! I went to our local Sony Store this morning and they're stock hasn't arrived yet, they're getting 6 of each colour.
SHOECHICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 05:21 PM   #58
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
For those who ordered through the Sony Store and want to cancel you can call 1-877-731-7669. They will ask you for your order number and the reason you are canceling. I think that I will stick with my 505 and Kindle 2 for now. Save my money for the new Plastic Logic reader or if Sony comes out with a wireless non touch screen model or a larger reader in the future. I will check out the 600 in the stores and might reconsider if I like it.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 05:25 PM   #59
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (recycled), Pocketbook Inkpad X Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by komugi View Post
I think it only looks marginally better. It isn't the same as PRS-505, if it was the same as PRS-505, in terms of crisp text, I would toss my 700 in a minute. But looking at 600/700, I think I'll keep my 700 simply because the text is still blurred.
After seeing the side-by-side comparison posted by doodlydood, I have to agree with you. Too bad, I was really tempted by the 600.
Andanzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 09:21 PM   #60
oliverh72
oliverh72 can extract oil from cheeseoliverh72 can extract oil from cheeseoliverh72 can extract oil from cheeseoliverh72 can extract oil from cheeseoliverh72 can extract oil from cheeseoliverh72 can extract oil from cheeseoliverh72 can extract oil from cheeseoliverh72 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505r
Shoechick, and for those still deciding...

IMO, if you're looking for something with the functionality(touchscreen) of the 700 and you still want decently crisp and readable text, the 600 is fantastic. As I mentioned before, it IS better than the 700, just not as crisp as the 505/300.. it's really right in the middle. And the glare is more harsh than on the 505/300, but still probably not *quite* as bad as the 700 (I've not owned one and only played with it for a few minutes).

I decided to keep the 505 for a few reasons. The screen and text resolution is simply second to none. It is CRISP and the background "paper" seems whiter than those with a touchscreen, so to me, it felt much more like I was reading a book. I liked that it comes with the case as I bought a $20 LED "Mighty Bright" light for it that needs a cover to clip to. It works fantastic and I highly recommend it - Chapters/Coles/Indigo for us Canadians. Thirdly, and perhaps most importantly, I'd have to pay more to get a 600 AND then buy a case AND wait for it to arrive. All those factors combined made me think that the extras I'd get - touchscreen, note-taking and the dictionary didn't make up for those negatives. So I stuck with the 505.

Another minor thing I noticed that may/may not be a big deal... the 600 & 300 are both thicker than the 505. The 505 is about 1/3 thinner than either of them. Not sure how they pulled that off.

For those that already have an ebook reader and are considering/pre-ordering the 600 in the hopes that it will be SO much better, hold off if you can. You may be a tiny bit disappointed. Yes, it's better, but wait till you see it in person to judge. I suspect that you'll stick with your current one, if text crispness is an issue.

Oliver
oliverh72 is offline   Reply With Quote