Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-29-2008, 04:18 PM   #1
Falbe Publishing
Gadget Slave
Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS505SC
Losing TOC function when I convert LIT to LRF

Suddenly with Calibre I am not able to produce a functioning table of contents on the resulting LRF ebook when I start with a LIT ebook. The TOC in the LIT ebook is functioning, but the TOC in the LRF conversion does not work. When I test it on my Sony, the TOC items are listed on the TOC screen but clicking them does not take me to the chapter. It just goes to the first page of the TOC.

A couple weeks ago, I did successfully make LRF ebooks with functioning TOCs from LIT files.

Yes, I am checking the box "Add chapters to TOC."

Any ideas on why it does not work anymore?

Falbe Publishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 04:20 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
When you convert LIT to LRF, try using the --use-spine option and see if it works. Also try using --add-chapters-to-toc and see what happens.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2008, 04:42 PM   #3
Falbe Publishing
Gadget Slave
Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Where's the use-spine option? I can't find it.
Old 08-29-2008, 04:43 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
--use-spine wont help (its automatically set for LIT file anyway). THere's probably something in the way the TOC is setup in that lit file that's causing the problem. Open a ticket about it and I'll take a look.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 04:44 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And attach the LIT file.
Advert
Old 08-29-2008, 04:55 PM   #6
Falbe Publishing
Gadget Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
--use-spine wont help (its automatically set for LIT file anyway). THere's probably something in the way the TOC is setup in that lit file that's causing the problem. Open a ticket about it and I'll take a look.
Thanks for helping. You're so nice. Not sure how to open a ticket, and I can't attack a LIT file here. Where should I go?

Should I try downloading and installing calibre again. I had a notice about some update the other day, but I ignored it. Sorry. Maybe I needed it.
Old 08-29-2008, 05:08 PM   #7
Falbe Publishing
Gadget Slave

UPDATE: I think I know what the problem is...

I haven't tested it yet, but my intuition is crackling.

Anyway, I'm not getting a functioning TOC in the LRF because in the original Word doc where I built the TOC that was in the LIT file I did not use page numbers. So, even though the LIT file works, Calibre did not have what it needed to create a functioning TOC.

I'm sure this is the problem because this is the difference between the ebooks that came out of Calibre with functioning TOCs and those that didn't.

MY bad.
Old 08-29-2008, 05:32 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Please let us know if this really is the issue once you have it working.
Old 08-29-2008, 06:43 PM   #9
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
When using the WordRMR(a word plugin) to create the LIT file and I also have noticed the same problem. When I expanded the LIT created by WordRMR file I saw there was only one html file and no TOC HTML in the lit file, typically LIT files have 2 or more html files. One is the main eBook text the second is the TOC.. I'm not sure if Calibre uses the additional file to create an external TOC, but I suspect it does.

What would be nice is if CALIBRE could create a TOC from a LIT by searching through the main HTML file.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 07:34 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You can opena ticket at

http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/newticket

@ ==X==

calibre gets the TOC from the OPF file (part of the lit file). If the lit file doesn't have an OPF file, or the OPF file is missing a TOC section, then it wont automatically create a TOC. You have to use one of the chapter detection options to tell calibre how to figure out what should go into the TOC from the HTML
Old 08-29-2008, 11:06 PM   #11
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@ kovidgoyal
Thanks that did the trick.

Setting "a,name,_Toc*"

In the "Detect chapter at tag TAG:" text box worked.

=X=
Old 08-30-2008, 12:21 AM   #12
=X=
Wizard

kovidgoyal, Is there any way to disable page breaks getting auto inserted before the chapter detect? I've already have my page breaks in my document. So using the Chapter detect causes two page two page breaks in the eBook

Thanks in advance,
=X=

Last edited by =X=; 08-30-2008 at 12:24 AM.
Old 08-30-2008, 12:41 AM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

No there isn't

Tags
calibre, toc