Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 09-30-2016, 01:49 PM   #16
eggheadbooks1
Read, don't parrot.
eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kobo Touch, Aldiko for Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
...Adding the xml file was the only thing I ever knew had that had to be done for iBooks. This is the first I've heard of the opf metadata entry. It wouldn't be the first time they required non-standard stuff that won't pass IDPF validation, though.

That meta entry looks like it belongs in an EPUB3 to me, not and EPUB2 - which is what your epub appears to be.
I found that code requirement in their Asset Book:
Quote:
If you intend to provide embedded fonts in a Flowing Book or a Fixed Layout Book, you must set the "specified-fonts" option to true. See “Defining Book Layout Metadata” (page 56).
and then:

Quote:
ibooks:specified-fonts
Example:
<meta property="ibooks:specified-fonts">true</meta>
Must be defined if your book contains embedded fonts. This is equivalent to specified-fonts : true|false in EPUB 2.
I think I misread it, then. I should be adding the "specified-fonts : true|false" in the ePub2. But what, exactly, is the line of code? I found this online:

Code:
<option name="specified-fonts">true</option>
But where does it go? In the metadata of the content.opf? I added it there and the file passes validation. but it this correct?
eggheadbooks1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 02:09 PM   #17
eggheadbooks1
Read, don't parrot.
eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kobo Touch, Aldiko for Android
DiapDealer: I just took a look at the XML file that your plugin creates, and it is the display option code I noted above. So is this sufficient? Do I still need to add it to the content.opf? When I googled the code, up came an old MR thread from 2014 about embedding fonts in ebooks for Apple and it was all over the place about this.
eggheadbooks1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2016, 02:26 PM   #18
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggheadbooks1 View Post
DiapDealer: I just took a look at the XML file that your plugin creates, and it is the display option code I noted above. So is this sufficient? Do I still need to add it to the content.opf? When I googled the code, up came an old MR thread from 2014 about embedding fonts in ebooks for Apple and it was all over the place about this.
As far as I know, we at my shop have ONLY ever used the xml code. Nothing else. If our books aren't working at iBooks, I'd be really surprised if none of our clients didn't tell us.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 02:30 PM   #19
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
My plugin doesn't actually create the xml file. It just adds the one you've created to the proper folder within the epub's structure.

That truly is the extent of my knowledge concerning the special needs for embedding fonts for iBooks.

EDIT: Hitch won't steer you wrong. She's got waaay more experience preparing epubs for iBooks than I do.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 09-30-2016 at 02:32 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 02:32 PM   #20
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
The meta tag with property attribute only exists in epub 3, not epub 2. According to your validator, it is validating against the epub 2.0.1 stanard.

Is your epub an epub2 or epub3?

KevinH

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggheadbooks1 View Post
DiapDealer:

Oh, dear, another problem. So after embedding the font and using your plugin to add the xml file, and adding the following line of code to the content.opf in the metadata section as dictated by Apple--

Code:
<meta property="ibooks:specified-fonts">true</meta>
--Apple have rejected the ePub due to that line of code. This code causes ePubcheck to invalidate the ePub, and my understanding was that I was to ignore this invalidation because that line of code is non-standard, specific to Apple, and just typical Apple bullshit. But Apple have rejected the ePub, citing the same errors as those returned by ePubCheck (see attached ss). Was I wrong in my understanding? Is that line of code ONLY for the .iba format?

I have sent a new file to my colleague with that line of code removed and suggested she try that and see whether or not iBooks recognizes the embedded font without it. In the meantime if you or others are around and can shed some light on this, that would be awesome.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2016, 04:02 PM   #21
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post

EDIT: Hitch won't steer you wrong. She's got waaay more experience preparing epubs for iBooks than I do.
Not necessarily, sweetie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
The meta tag with property attribute only exists in epub 3, not epub 2. According to your validator, it is validating against the epub 2.0.1 stanard.

Is your epub an epub2 or epub3?
Now, see--THAT is an excellent question, and I didn't even think to ask it. Ergo, my steerage could be waaaaaaaaaaaaaay off-base.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apple, embedded fonts, epub2