Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-27-2008, 04:04 PM   #1
scottsan
Connoisseur
scottsan began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 505
calibre and prs505 updated firmware problem

I just installed the prs505 firmware update and downloaded the ny times news feed with calibre. The sony won't successfully format the file. I select it, the sony formats, restarts, and then I'm back in the main menu. If I select the ny times again, the sony again formats, restarts, and I'm back at the main menu (I tried this numerous times, as well as deleting the times and downloading the feed again, but to no avail). I then used calibre to download the new yorker magazine newsfeed. When I selected it from the sony menu, if formatted, restarted, and I could then read it. This is how the sony worked with the original firmware. What I never could understand was why the sony formats the file and restarts when I first select it when calibre sends a .lrf file.

Suggestions of a helpful nature eagerly awaited.

Scott
scottsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 05:07 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Hmm looks like SONY managed to worsen the LRF rendering bugs. I dont have any short term solutions, but hopefully once I write html2epub you will be able to use the EPUB versions of the feeds.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2008, 05:50 PM   #3
rtmichael
rtmichael began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505/7100i
Since the update, I use Calibre to get the feed; then save it to my desktop and use eBook Library to load it on the reader. It's a little cumbersome but it works until we have a better solution.
rtmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 12:33 AM   #4
scottsan
Connoisseur

no ebook library for me, I use a mac with os x
Old 07-29-2008, 11:14 AM   #5
scottsan
Connoisseur

as an update I report that today I used calibre to download the NY Times, and it formatted and opened quite norrmaly on the prs505. Apparently the feed on Sunday was some how defective.
Advert
Old 07-29-2008, 03:41 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's good to hear.
Old 08-03-2008, 02:43 PM   #7
scottsan
Connoisseur

same problem again today after downloading the sunday ny times news feed.
Old 08-03-2008, 04:26 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Probably something in the sunday paper it cant handle.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:10 PM   #9
scottsan
Connoisseur

ah, but prior to the upgrade, there were no issues with the sunday paper.
Old 08-06-2008, 05:01 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

yeah well SONY broke something. I'm not going to try to fix it, as my main development effort at the moment is concentrated on html2epub. Once that's done, you will be able to read the news in epub format and hopefully these crashes will be a thing of the past.
Old 08-07-2008, 02:54 PM   #11
scottsan
Connoisseur

godspeed!