Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-28-2014, 09:51 PM   #46
Cosimo
Groupie
Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I, too, have happily gone all digital.
Cosimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 04:11 AM   #47
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by voracious71 View Post
I read too much dystopian fiction to want to get rid of paper books completely.
Which book have you committed to memory?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2014, 09:56 AM   #48
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Which book have you committed to memory?
Just this fragment from the past-Pound pastrami, can kraut, six bagels—bring home for Emma.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 10:28 AM   #49
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
Just this fragment from the past-Pound pastrami, can kraut, six bagels—bring home for Emma.
Eat well my son

...sic transit mundus
Old 07-01-2014, 05:43 AM   #50
Wolfies
Wolfies began at the beginning.

Device: none
I have stopped buying printed books because I just don't have the space. I am now on the move most of the time, and think it silly to buy books and then wack them in storage. I am actually in the process of getting rid of books, read and unread, which can be quite painful. So most of the printed books I read are borrowed from friends or from the book exchange places. It still fells weird to finish a big novel and then give the physical thing away the very same day. But its better not to hang on to these things I think
Wolfies is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2014, 08:16 PM   #51
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I bought some paperbacks just a couple of months ago to have them OCR'd so that I could read them. The last of my novels were donated to a senior revolving library and a veterans hospital. In my case I have vision issues.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 01:13 PM   #52
FatDog
Witless protection Agent
FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I was in Seattle recently and near a Mystery and a large used book store. It was agony to NOT go in and indulge.

My daughter got disgusted that we had a storage unit with lots of old stuff including about 8 full box's of paperbacks & other books so she made it her mission to empty things out and save us the $120/month.

(I would literally re-purchase a favorite paperback at the bookstore because it was easier than trying to dig through the box's.)

Made me realize we had a problem.

Most of the books went to a local charity bookstore which claims to use the money to teach English to non-english speaking people.

I have been haunting the Amazon Kindle deal of the day looking for sales/deals to re-build.

My one exception: I sometimes go to the local BarnsNNoble to browse magazines and books as for some reason - this is a nicer discovery for me than browsing websites. I make it a point to always buy 1-2 books and magazines to support the brick-n-mortar business.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 05:12 PM   #53
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I really only buy ebooks these days. I might buy one or two paper books per year, but I buy around 200 ebooks a year. (Although I am trying to cut down, honest!)

Last edited by pdurrant; 07-07-2014 at 07:54 AM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:41 PM   #54
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
There comes a point when you realize you have just too much clutter (I'd have gotten chastised by a moderator if I said what I really wanted to in place of "clutter" ). So you give stuff away, toss stuff away, and stop buying more to add to the mess.

That includes not buying any printed books for me for the last 4 years or so except for one autographed book by my favorite author that will be stashed away and never read (I also have a digital copy), but that will likely be the last printed book I ever buy. I've never felt any "tactile" need to want to turn paper pages or smell the books or anything else along those lines. Even if I did, the convenience of ereaders and ebooks so far outweighs any of the nostalgia some associate with printed books that I'd still never go back to them.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 01:15 AM   #55
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I still buy business books in print format. But almost all of my fiction reading is ereading. Occasionally I pick up a garage sale fiction book that looks interesting but that is rarer now.
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 02:02 AM   #56
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebusinesstutor View Post
I still buy business books in print format. But almost all of my fiction reading is ereading. Occasionally I pick up a garage sale fiction book that looks interesting but that is rarer now.
I'd have to guess that it's getting rarer to find pbooks for sale at garage sales too. I mean if everyone is getting rid of pbooks and going digital where will the market for garage sale books go?
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 02:10 AM   #57
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I mean if everyone is getting rid of pbooks and going digital where will the market for garage sale books go?
thumb drives loaded with epub/mobi files
Old 07-14-2014, 03:57 AM   #58
JohnRR
Connoisseur
JohnRR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnRR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnRR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnRR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnRR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnRR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnRR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnRR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnRR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnRR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnRR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
I also don't buy printed novels now. Ebooks save my space and I don't have to worry I will run out of space any more. The price of most books in e-format are much lower too. Even Amazon add US$2.00 to many books that it wants to sell me, the price is lower than what I need to pay at other sites or real bookshops. Therefore, I will continue to buy ebooks.
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 10:48 AM   #59
missimpossible
Groupie
missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra 2, Clara 2e, Oasis 3
I still buy a lot of both. My main constraints are space and money at the moment (I suppose they're EVERYONE'S main constraints, really!). I buy a lot of secondhand paper books, because they're often so cheap. With ebooks, I tend to buy them on offer - I buy a lot of the YA that I read as ebooks as overall the ebook tends to be cheaper than paper. I still have a hard time choosing ebook over paper when they are both similarly priced, or when the paper book is significantly cheaper, but I'm coming round to the idea more, at least where they're similar, as I have massive space constraints, and the longer I read on a reader the more I like the experience.

I do still appreciate books as physical objects though, and there are some series that I'll always collect in paper (Discworld). If I really love an ebook I do tend to buy a paper copy as well at some point... I'm beginning to think I have problems!
missimpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:04 PM   #60
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
I buy pbooks occasionally (maybe a few a year) at 2nd hand stores, but that's about it.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote