Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-28-2014, 11:01 AM   #1
trocchietto
Addict
trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony 650 ,T2, samsung 7.7, ipad2, ipad mini2, yotaphone2, galax tab s2
news are old....

Dear ereaders, I read a lot of news but is always about e-ink devices that do not innovate. I mean last year was the moment to add a light inside to give the apperarance that eink is whiter, this year is cool to put impermeable surfaces without even changing the software.

IS not normal that with this level of innovation that is almost not existent, eink manufacturers show bad financial results, having one product and thousands of devices equal, is not logical with these premises that people buy tablets that destroy their eyes with long reading sessions and last few hours as allured by the fact they can see video and have smoother screens and fast processors every three months faster?

Last edited by trocchietto; 08-28-2014 at 11:05 AM.
trocchietto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 11:23 AM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Please post in the correct forum.

What you want is a discussion.

This thread has now been moved to the GENERAL DISCUSSION FORUM.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2014, 11:31 AM   #3
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Not sure I fully understand what you mean but if you mean to say that there is little innovation in the world of e-readers, I must concur with you.
Personally I was hoping this year for color e-ink to become the big thing but the latest fad is for waterproof devices which as I have said before seem to be only half relevant as I don't imagine a lot of people will start reading underwater.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 12:13 PM   #4
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
Not sure I fully understand what you mean but if you mean to say that there is little innovation in the world of e-readers, I must concur with you.
Personally I was hoping this year for color e-ink to become the big thing but the latest fad is for waterproof devices which as I have said before seem to be only half relevant as I don't imagine a lot of people will start reading underwater.
I would assume the underwater devices are being marketed to those who read near water, i.e. by the pool, on the beach or in the bathtub.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 12:39 PM   #5
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trocchietto View Post
Dear ereaders, I read a lot of news but is always about e-ink devices that do not innovate. I mean last year was the moment to add a light inside to give the apperarance that eink is whiter, this year is cool to put impermeable surfaces without even changing the software.

IS not normal that with this level of innovation that is almost not existent, eink manufacturers show bad financial results, having one product and thousands of devices equal, is not logical with these premises that people buy tablets that destroy their eyes with long reading sessions and last few hours as allured by the fact they can see video and have smoother screens and fast processors every three months faster?
I think that the fundamental issue that eInk readers face is what feature or innovation would cause people to buy new devices. I do most of my reading on an iPad and an iPad mini. I have Sony PRS-T2 that I use for backpacking and for situations where the two week battery life and super light weight comes in handy, but I really can't think of anything that makes me say "If only I could find an eInk device that does ..., I would buy it".
Advert
Old 08-28-2014, 01:34 PM   #6
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I think that the fundamental issue that eInk readers face is what feature or innovation would cause people to buy new devices. I do most of my reading on an iPad and an iPad mini. I have Sony PRS-T2 that I use for backpacking and for situations where the two week battery life and super light weight comes in handy, but I really can't think of anything that makes me say "If only I could find an eInk device that does ..., I would buy it".
The same. I am doing most my reading on a PW1, and see no reason to upgrade. I would be happy to upgrade if changes are a significant improvement in reading experience. Only problem is that it already does very well what it is supposed to do. A flexible screen and a fold in half device for smaller footprint while sticking in you pocket would be great to have - but I think we are not there yet.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 03:03 PM   #7
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
As a comparison, what are the big innovations in tablets?

Apart from things like flexible displays and colour, isn't it just that as DuckieTigger says, an eink ereader already does very well what it is supposed to do, so there isn't as much room for big leaps forward. Same as tablets, you just get a step forward in things like the resolution, quality of the light, thinner & lighter devices and smaller improvements like that rather than anything really innovative?
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 03:30 PM   #8
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulfuldog View Post
As a comparison, what are the big innovations in tablets?

Apart from things like flexible displays and colour, isn't it just that as DuckieTigger says, an eink ereader already does very well what it is supposed to do, so there isn't as much room for big leaps forward. Same as tablets, you just get a step forward in things like the resolution, quality of the light, thinner & lighter devices and smaller improvements like that rather than anything really innovative?
Much of the innovation in tablets is software rather than hardware. If an eInk device came out with a really good way of organizing and searching for books but everything else was the same, then I would buy it in a heart beat.
Old 08-28-2014, 03:47 PM   #9
ballfresno
Addict
ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (Sage, Aura One, Aura HD, & Touch); reMarkable tablet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Only problem is that it already does very well what it is supposed to do. A flexible screen and a fold in half device for smaller footprint while sticking in you pocket would be great to have - but I think we are not there yet.
I agree completely. Other than the level of portability you suggest, I cannot see any reason to replace my ereader. In any case, any ereader has an incredible level of portability compared with dead wood books, of course.

Last edited by ballfresno; 08-28-2014 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Fix grammar...
ballfresno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 03:56 PM   #10
trocchietto
Addict
trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Please post in the correct forum.

What you want is a discussion.

This thread has now been moved to the GENERAL DISCUSSION FORUM.

Don
(Moderator)
Dear Moderator,
Truly apologize i forced with the "news old" joke of the title something that is Indirectly linked to a news and you are right I am looking for a discussion.

Dear others I am glad to see that I am no the only one that want flexible screen, colors and more than all a decent software with a fast hardware.

Allow me a sarcastic comment but with all the due attention I read from my t2... Outside also on the beach, in the bathube and on the border of a swimming pool, never while I do scuba diving

Best
Trocchietto
Old 08-28-2014, 04:21 PM   #11
trocchietto
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
The same. I am doing most my reading on a PW1, and see no reason to upgrade. I would be happy to upgrade if changes are a significant improvement in reading experience. Only problem is that it already does very well what it is supposed to do. A flexible screen and a fold in half device for smaller footprint while sticking in you pocket would be great to have - but I think we are not there yet.
I come back apart to you and soulfuldog.
Yes and no, I would pay 300 eu for an ereader that offers tomorrow color,
Android(why not) 7 inches well small taylored, 1,5 processor with Qualcomm. Then I will buy for newer software version made by kobo, amazon etc, if they are going to offer me better feature to manage notes, yes I would pay for a nice new firmware, not too much (4-5 eu) of course bug fix updates should be free( EDIT better pay than receive an update bug fix twice per year)
And yes u would buy amazon or kobo books from their sites as well.

Ladies and gentleman the only reason why sometimes I open pdf with the ipad i7 is that is frustrating to wait 30 sec to go through a document, as I expected è readers should offer me te possibility to peek fast in the pages, like I do with no fiction books, and as I do with the ipad.
Also if this means that the battery would last 4 weeks instead of 8

Last edited by trocchietto; 08-28-2014 at 04:23 PM.
Old 08-28-2014, 04:45 PM   #12
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
I'd love to be able to read this forum on an eink reader in the easy manner I do on a tablet,without the eye strain. Or various blogs and RSS feeds. I don't even need colors.

Most people do a lot of reading, the bulk of which are not books. A larger reflective device with fast refresh rate capable of running apps and long battery life would fit the bill nicely.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 05:29 PM   #13
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
A waterproof eink Kindle with a flexible display would get me to upgrade.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 05:33 PM   #14
trocchietto
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
I'd love to be able to read this forum on an eink reader in the easy manner I do on a tablet,without the eye strain. Or various blogs and RSS feeds. I don't even need colors.

Most people do a lot of reading, the bulk of which are not books. A larger reflective device with fast refresh rate capable of running apps and long battery life would fit the bill nicely.
+1 for me.
hope some major marketing guynread the discussion forum

we do not ask too much, the tele beamer already move particles and we still cannot have a reader for us,

best all
i think we need to sensibilize people that tablets cause damages for +5 h long reading after the work: eye strains headaches myopy, insomnia discomfort, stress
if we find a way to inform people as corporate social responsibility project, companies will produce more eye safe devices, i am serious i think tablets are great, but hard reading is not good.
is night in amsterdam and believe me i will feel immediately restored as soon as will end this post and will start to read my book on eink in a couple of seconds.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:08 PM   #15
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
If you think we don't have fast eink devices because some salesman hasn't thought of it yet, then you're delusional. We don't have them because they haven't figured out how to do it, and it's not from lack of trying. It's a hard engineering problem to solve.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote