Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 10-24-2013, 11:02 AM   #1
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
New title and blurb - comments, please?

In The Wide Wild Field

In the wide wild field:

* Butterfly-Fairy gets a kitten, raids a beehive, and makes friends with a firefly
* Urisk the brownie gets a new home, and finds new friends
* Fireflies learn that willow kittens aren't dangerous and that when you blink isn't as important as they think.

In the Wide Wild Field, these six bedtime stories will enchant children ages 5-7.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 01:52 PM   #2
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

New version:

In the Wide, Wild Field, friendship is bigger than fear, and can be found in the unlikeliest of places.

A butterfly fairy gets a kitten, raids a beehive, and makes friends with a firefly. Urisk the brownie gets a new home, and finds help overcoming his fear of the dark. Fireflies learn that friends come in all shapes and sizes, and let you be who you really are.

Six bedtime stories will enchant children ages 3-7.

Is the title In the Wide, Wild Field too long? I've also had Tales from the Wild Field suggested as shorter, but to me it doesn't have the same ring as the first title suggestion does.
Advert
Old 10-24-2013, 02:34 PM   #3
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
How about something that evokes the characters like "Where the fairies fly." "In the Wilde, Wild Field" sounds more like a book on straight nature somehow.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:43 PM   #4
BeccaPrice
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
How about something that evokes the characters like "Where the fairies fly." "In the Wilde, Wild Field" sounds more like a book on straight nature somehow.
A friend has suggested "Fields and Fairies" as the title.

I still like "In the Wide Wild Field" because it has such a "back of the north wind" feel to it, but you're probably right that it does sound like a nature book rather than fairy tales.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:20 PM   #5
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post

I still like "In the Wide Wild Field" because it has such a "back of the north wind" feel to it, but you're probably right that it does sound like a nature book rather than fairy tales.
Hey, Becca:

It's a bit tongue-twisty. That's my thinking, when I said it aloud, to "hear" it best. Wide Wild is one of those "say it 5 times fast" things, and even "Wide Field" has the same thing going. I like them in my head, but when I try to say them aloud, I like them less. I freely admit I don't know if that's deliberate, and if it appeals to children?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2013, 10:46 PM   #6
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post

Kind of sets you up for a simple easy to recgonize pattern of names.... Dragons and Dreams, Fields and Fairies, X and Y.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 01:58 AM   #7
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
Kind of sets you up for a simple easy to recgonize pattern of names.... Dragons and Dreams, Fields and Fairies, X and Y.
I kind of like something like this:

Willow Kittens Aren't Scary,
and other Tales from the Wide Wild Field.

You could run with that as a series, if needed (the "Tales from..." part).

Just an idea. I like the Wide Wild Field thing, but kids love simplicity and I am really unsure about the tongue-twisting part. I have this mental image of 3 year olds not being able to nag their parents about that name as they did for "Barney," say, whereas "Willow Kittens" is clever on your part and sounds perfect for Widdle Kids. :-)

Just my $.02. My opinion on anything to do with kids' books, other than the actual making, should mostly be ignored.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:08 AM   #8
BeccaPrice
Wizard

A 3 year old may be a bit young, but would probably just ask for the Butterfly Fairy book, or the Brownie story.

I like the idea of branding my books with parallel initials (D&D, Fields and Fairies) - the third collection breaks the pattern, however, a little bit: Quests and Fairy Queens, although it still keeps somewhat of the alliteration. It's just that Fields and Fairies just doesn't ring for me the way "In the Wide, Wild Field" does... Maybe I've been reading too many George Macdonald's fairy tales.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:00 AM   #9
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Maybe "Fairies in flight?"
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote