Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-17-2013, 03:04 AM   #1
abzde
abzde began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Arrow Advice/Help needed on Cover Image and First Page when converting files on Calibre

Edit: Thanks to David's advice I used the Modify ePub plugin and it let me delete the cover image page on my files. Problem solved

So I want to convert an .epub file to an .epub file on Calibre (see bottom for reasons) without creating a cover image. Right now Calibre forces me to choose a cover image. My existing .epub file does not contain a cover image so I don't want or need one after conversion.

The only reason I don't want a cover image is because Calibre creates a new 1st page in the book with whatever cover image I or the program chooses. I don't want to see this page when I open up my book. I like the way it is formatted already.

So my preferences are... 1). Find a way to convert .epub files without a cover image... if that is not possible 2). Convert .epub files without the image of the cover showing up as the first page... if that is not possible 3). Help me find a way to automatically skip this cover image page when loading the book on a Nook Simple Touch. Like would the "Start reading at (XPath expression)" help in this case? Really anything you can think of would be appreciated.

I'm just a basic user so anything you can say would help, even if it's just letting me know the impossibility of my request.

My reason for needing to convert .epub files to .epub on Calibre is because this fixes viewing errors on my Nook. Some .epub files I find do not open in my Nook, but after conversion in Calibre they work perfectly, well except for creating an extra cover page and inserted it as the first page of the story. Which I just want to get rid of... badly.

Last edited by abzde; 09-17-2013 at 09:41 PM.
abzde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:48 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I am sure I seen a way to specify which page a book should be open to. But, I can't think of it at the moment.

The Modify ePub plugin has an option to remove the cover. I just tried a conversion of an epub that has a text cover. This generated the cover as an image and Modify ePub was able to remove it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2013, 07:17 AM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by abzde View Post
So I want to convert an .epub file to an .epub file on Calibre (see bottom for reasons) without creating a cover image. Right now Calibre forces me to choose a cover image. My existing .epub file does not contain a cover image so I don't want or need one after conversion.
I don't think calibre does force you to choose a cover image. I haven't used it but during conversion go to the Epub output section and check the No default cover option and see what happens. See attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	epuboutput.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	111204  
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 03:36 PM   #4
abzde

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I am sure I seen a way to specify which page a book should be open to. But, I can't think of it at the momentThe Modify ePub plugin has an option to remove the cover. I just tried a conversion of an epub that has a text cover. This generated the cover as an image and Modify ePub was able to remove it.

Edit: this did the trick!!!

Oh I never heard of the Modify ePub plugin before. I'll look into that right now and see how it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
I don't think calibre does force you to choose a cover image. I haven't used it but during conversion go to the Epub output section and check the No default cover option and see what happens. See attached.
You know you'd think that'd work. But when I convert an .epub file with no cover image and click the box "No cover image" in the EPUB Output area, the program still creates a snapshot of the first page for the cover image and then adds that snapshot as the first page of the book. It pretty much has no change. And I'm using the latest version of Calibre 1.3

Last edited by abzde; 09-17-2013 at 09:41 PM.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:39 PM   #5
abzde

Thanks so much David! I just installed the Modify ePub plugin and it let me delete the cover image page on my files! That's exactly what I wanted. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
Advert