Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 02-07-2014, 04:30 PM   #331
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
So do I. Bad or non-existent annotations functionality totally ruins any enjoyment of reading books for me.

Come again? I thought you said you were reading for enjoyment, not for manually fixing the faulty display of e-books by e-reader software. I totally refuse to engage in any such manual fixes and activities, although (or perhaps because) I also create e-books professionally.

The sub-par rendering and low CSS fidelity is not a big deficiency for me in Moon+ Reader, but it's there -- and it's one thing that makes Moon+ inferior compared to Marvin. Overall, though, both Marvin and Moon+ are excellent pieces of software -- but both still have a long way to go before I could call either of them "5-star software". We're still in the infant era of e-books, and it shows in the (lack of) quality of available e-readers, regardless of platform.
Fixing ebooks is a hobby for me. I run all my ebooks through editing before it hits my eReader. I've been OCRing topaz books as of late and converting them to readable copies that work on any ereader. Adding section breaks though is easy and fast to do if you make ebooks for a living you should already know this then though.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 05:02 PM   #332
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Absolutely. But because I'm paid for fixing bad section breaks in e-books I'm commissioned to create, it would infuriate me if I had to do that same thing in books I simply wish to enjoy.

Each of us is different -- you see highlighting and taking notes while reading books as a chore, while to me, it's the most pleasurable part of the reading experience: it's my intellectual interaction with the stuff I read. Conversely, you love manually fixing badly formatted e-books created by other folks, whereas that would drive me insane, because it would make me feel as if my working hours were longer than usual. Each of us is different.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2014, 06:43 PM   #333
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
Quote:
Not familiar with TTS functionality myself. Just give it a try, there's a Marvin Free version in the App Store.
Just did. It doesn't have TTS (Text to Speech).
Also only, reads epub, fwiw.

Too bad. I'd like a good ebook app for my iPhone.
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:52 PM   #334
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'd call Marvin not just a "good" but a great ebook app, though still far from perfect.

I can see now that the TTS feature is listed in Marvin's public bug tracker / feature request collector:

https://github.com/kguil/Marvin-Roadmap/issues/84

So, one can only hope.

As to "only EPUB", that is exactly how it should be. I convert each and every e-book I have into EPUB -- the only proper e-book format for this day and age, in my opinion. All the other e-book formats are either obsolete or bloated (looking at you, Amazon).
Old 02-07-2014, 07:15 PM   #335
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
I'd call Marvin not just a "good" but a great ebook app, though still far from perfect.

I can see now that the TTS feature is listed in Marvin's public bug tracker / feature request collector:

https://github.com/kguil/Marvin-Roadmap/issues/84

So, one can only hope.

As to "only EPUB", that is exactly how it should be. I convert each and every e-book I have into EPUB -- the only proper e-book format for this day and age, in my opinion. All the other e-book formats are either obsolete or bloated (looking at you, Amazon).
But Amazon KF8 is just an epub in a wrapper, right? You can use the Kindle unpack plugin in Calibre to get the epub.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2014, 07:32 PM   #336
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Yes, absolutely. And the wrapper causes the bloating... Whenever I create a new e-book and produce it as EPUB and MOBI (which I'm required to, although I don't use MOBI files myself), the exact same text consumes roughly 30% or so more in kilobytes in the Kindle-compatible formats compared to the same text in EPUB...
Old 02-07-2014, 10:25 PM   #337
dbareis
dbareis began at the beginning.

Device: Android
Quote:
Marvin is supposed to arrive on Android some time in future
I don't know where you read it but I saw a recent post on their forum where the author contradicts this...
dbareis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 01:56 AM   #338
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes, absolutely. And the wrapper causes the bloating... Whenever I create a new e-book and produce it as EPUB and MOBI (which I'm required to, although I don't use MOBI files myself), the exact same text consumes roughly 30% or so more in kilobytes in the Kindle-compatible formats compared to the same text in EPUB...
It isn't bloat a Mobi book has to have a index and a few other features that epub doesn't have to be Kindle compatible. That is why it's larger in size.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:11 PM   #339
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Is there a way to customize the Moon+ Pro Reader launch screen, to show a grid of book covers, instead of just the Recents row at the top?
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 05:13 PM   #340
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Is there a way to customize the Moon+ Pro Reader launch screen, to show a grid of book covers, instead of just the Recents row at the top?
No there isn't This is why I use Calibre's Companion to by pass that screen and go straight to the book
Old 02-08-2014, 05:40 PM   #341
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
No there isn't This is why I use Calibre's Companion to by pass that screen and go straight to the book
Thanks. That's about the only thing I don't care for in Moon+ Pro.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:45 PM   #342
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Thanks. That's about the only thing I don't care for in Moon+ Pro.
Yeah if you use Calibre Companion as your main program then just open it up and click on the book you want to read and then it opens in Moon+ and you never have to see the first screen of Moon+
Old 02-08-2014, 07:54 PM   #343
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Well that's an idea....just leave it sorted to recent, in case I have more than one book I am working on....I'll have to see how I like doing it that way.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:06 AM   #344
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Well that's an idea....just leave it sorted to recent, in case I have more than one book I am working on....I'll have to see how I like doing it that way.
Or add a custom column in Calibre name Reading then sync and it will add it to groups.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:57 AM   #345
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Moon+ reader pro idiot guide please

Ok, I'm trying to config moon to show the book's formatting more faithfully. I play around with the disable css options in miscellaneous. I try checking all the disable css and a few sub options in the menu. No discernible difference. I check all the options. No difference. I uncheck all options. No difference. Just what are these options supposed to do. Are they just placebos, like the close door button i n the elevator?

Last edited by Barty; 02-09-2014 at 11:00 AM.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote