Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-23-2013, 07:01 PM   #61
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
I'm back!

So, err, yeah, those updated packages will really happen sometime soon ^^. With a bit of luck, I'll manage to break things in new and interesting ways (after all, I did manage to run a rm -rf Kindle from the wrong directory only yesterday, so, yeah, NOT RUSTY! )

Don't expect much activity from me for a while though, I have something like 4 months of posts to go through... -_-".

And to answer the repack question, provided you don't need to change the content of the package, the easiest way is probably simply to do a double convert (.bin => tgz, then .tgz => .bin), no need to even extract it (which helps avoiding directory structure issues, depending on how you repack it, and potentially double/wrong sig/dat files, if you happen to be running an old kindletool version).
Basically:
Code:
kindletool convert update_blah.bin
kindletool create ota2 -d kindle5 update_blah.tar.gz update_blah_repack.bin
IIRC.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 06-23-2013 at 07:08 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:12 PM   #62
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

First post updated with new binaries (Lin/Win/Cygwin). Nothing fancy, just making sure everything still builds correctly on all platforms .
Advert
Old 07-23-2013, 08:39 PM   #63
NiLuJe
BLAM!

The 5.3.7 Kindle Touch update uncovered some oversights in the RecoveryV2 update format handling. Some changes to fix those oversights have been pushed to git .
Old 08-10-2013, 06:18 PM   #64
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Released v1.5.9.

* With, err, I dunno, changes and stuff? (mostly the aforementioned RecoveryV2 tweaks)

Also, the return of the OS X binary! Yay! (So, yeah, mostly tagged a release because I had my hands on a MacBook for the evening )

Last edited by NiLuJe; 08-10-2013 at 06:23 PM.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:05 AM   #65
Degru
Degru can extract oil from cheeseDegru can extract oil from cheeseDegru can extract oil from cheeseDegru can extract oil from cheeseDegru can extract oil from cheeseDegru can extract oil from cheeseDegru can extract oil from cheeseDegru can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 4 (reported as Lost or Stolen; unregistered)
How to convert hacks

So I'm looking for a way to get the FreeDownload hack (Download any filetype in browser) to work on the silver Kindle 4. The hack currently only has Kindle 3/DX/2 versions. The hack only displays a progress bar while using curl to download a file, so the lack of keyboard shouldn't be a problem. Any idea on how to do this?

I've currently been able to extract the Kindle 3 Wifi version of the hack into a directory, but am unable to create a Kindle 4 version (./kindletool -d k4 create /path/to/directory/) from either the .tar.gz file or the directory. (Invalid update type.)

Last edited by Degru; 09-09-2013 at 02:09 AM. Reason: Added more info
Degru is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2013, 09:49 AM   #66
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Degru: Don't confuse porting a hack to a different FW/model and simply repacking a package.

While the latter is easy enough to do, you'll most likely have to tweak the code/scripts of the hack itself for it to work properly on another model/fw .

Cf. the top of this page for the quickest repack method, which most likely won't suffice/will potentially wreak havoc on your device in the case of the specific hack you're working with (I'm not sure the browser behaves the exact same way/is even the same codebase as what runs on FW 3.x).

Once you have tweaked the code to play nice with a K4, you can do what you were trying to, but with the proper syntax ;p

Code:
kindletool create ota2 -d kindle4 Relative_Path
Check post #2 for some example packages and the output from kindletool help for more details about the syntax . [Namely, since you mentioned an absolute path in your message, the -C switch, because by default kindletool behaves like tar, and if you feed it an absolute path, it *will* archive an absolute path, which you most decidedly do NOT want to do )].

Last edited by NiLuJe; 09-09-2013 at 09:55 AM.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:23 PM   #67
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Refreshed binaries (bump to ~ 1.5.9.20), which is probably when 1.5.9 should have been tagged in the first place ;P.

* Mostly update the syntax/input validation for the recoveryv2 changes, so it doesn't segfault anymore when you use it wrong [That was a 1.5.9 regression].
Old 09-13-2013, 09:39 AM   #68
Degru
Degru can extract oil from cheeseDegru can extract oil from cheeseDegru can extract oil from cheeseDegru can extract oil from cheeseDegru can extract oil from cheeseDegru can extract oil from cheeseDegru can extract oil from cheeseDegru can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@Degru: Don't confuse porting a hack to a different FW/model and simply repacking a package.

While the latter is easy enough to do, you'll most likely have to tweak the code/scripts of the hack itself for it to work properly on another model/fw .

Cf. the top of this page for the quickest repack method, which most likely won't suffice/will potentially wreak havoc on your device in the case of the specific hack you're working with (I'm not sure the browser behaves the exact same way/is even the same codebase as what runs on FW 3.x).

Once you have tweaked the code to play nice with a K4, you can do what you were trying to, but with the proper syntax ;p

Code:
kindletool create ota2 -d kindle4 Relative_Path
Check post #2 for some example packages and the output from kindletool help for more details about the syntax . [Namely, since you mentioned an absolute path in your message, the -C switch, because by default kindletool behaves like tar, and if you feed it an absolute path, it *will* archive an absolute path, which you most decidedly do NOT want to do )].
It's the FreeDownload hack. It runs as a service, looks at the browser logs, and when you try to download a PDF/other file it downloads the file via curl, then auto-unzips it if it's a zip file. It also shows some sort of progress indicator at the bottom of the screen. Do you think something like this would need recoding for Kindle 4?
Old 09-13-2013, 09:56 AM   #69
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Degru View Post
It runs as a service, looks at the browser logs,
- - - - -
Do you think something like this would need recoding for Kindle 4?
Are the browser logs the same?
OR
Does the browser log parsing fit with the logs your device generates?

PS:
Have you considered the "fake register" modification?
OR
Purchase a "Broken for Parts" K4 and just exchange the identification data (or motherboard - takes skill, the K4 is glued) with yours.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 02:14 PM   #70
Degru

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Purchase a "Broken for Parts" K4 and just exchange the identification data
How would I go about doing this? The utility in the jailbreak thingy requires an actual keyboard to enter a new ID. Also, wouldn't this re-enable special offers? That's one of the things I actually like about this Kindle...
Old 09-20-2013, 03:21 PM   #71
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
That's not information we really want to get into sharing...
and totally OT for this thread.

Let's just "leave that there" shall we

Last edited by twobob; 09-20-2013 at 03:25 PM.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 04:05 PM   #72
NiLuJe
BLAM!

I may be completely dumb on this one, but what does the registration even have to do with the browser/FreeDownload anyway? :?

EDIT: Oh, yeah, right, profile/device of Degru. So, nothing. ^^
Old 10-01-2013, 02:17 PM   #73
NiLuJe
BLAM!

If github wasn't verklemmt, KindleTool would now at least to a certain extent know about the WiFi variant of the PW2.

For the rest, keep the details coming in this thread! Thanks .

Keep in mind that this is all theoretical until, er, well, until something interesting happens ^^.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-01-2013 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Shameful correction of my failed venture into german! :D
Old 10-01-2013, 02:33 PM   #74
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Argh... If you use foreign words, use them correctly, you goddamn frog-eater*! It's "verklemmt"!

(*) Je rigole, bien sûr. Et d'après tout ce que j'ai appri, tu ne manges pas les grenouilles de toute façon...
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 02:47 PM   #75
NiLuJe
BLAM!

And I just came out of a linguistics class, so it's even more shameful! .

(But interesting, that's pretty much me trying make the word look more like what you would expect in French for that kind of sound )

Thanks for correcting me .

Yeah, the frog (legs) thing still sticks, but I think it's more of a regional dish now, though I couldn't even tell you from which, never having tried it myself . Now, snails, which sounds even crazier as a foodstuff, on the other hand, that I could answer (Bourgogne, what some might know as Burgundy, for its wine).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-01-2013 at 03:02 PM.

Tags
kindletool, update