Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 05-28-2012, 12:38 PM   #1
somkk
somkk began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 5T
Exclamation Android E-book Decryption

Hi,

I've been gifted an android device (v2.2), which also comes with some books/audio/video content.

The e-books have .epb extension, and when I rename them to .zip, they open in winrar with the error "unexpected end of archive".

The list of files within the zip is shown by winrar/7-zip.
But, none of the files extract, as they fail CRC check.

When these books are opened on the android device, it momentarily shows a message "Unlocking FILENAME" etc.

I think some sort of encryption(?) has been applied.

How do I decode these books ?
Plz let me know.

I want to read them on my Kindle/Laptop.
And also, I'm curious so as to how such encryption schemes are implemented.

Tx!
somkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 07:42 PM   #2
macminer
Connoisseur
macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 3, Lenovo Tab 4 8" (formerly many others)
From your description it seems they are epub files, which is one of the main ebook standards these days. However, which DRM or encryption scheme they use, is not obvious. It could be Adobe epub DRM (most probable) but could also be a more exotic one. You should perhaps ask the person who gave you the device about the origin of these files. If you know where they were bought or acquired, it would be easy to identify the encryption method.
macminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2012, 07:51 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by somkk View Post
How do I decode these books ?
Plz let me know.

I want to read them on my Kindle/Laptop.
And also, I'm curious so as to how such encryption schemes are implemented.

Tx!
The short answer is... you don't.

You don't have the key and you don't know the format. So there is no way to do what you want.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote