Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 03-15-2012, 12:35 PM   #136
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzoens View Post
People the problem with Triton's comfort can be subjective, even because our eyes differ a lot.

But when you spend those big money, you may desire a device that you can use almost anywhere, not only with some kind of light.

And it's not for everyone, having to edit all the pdf files to read them better.

I hope that sooner or later you can export your scribble pdf. But if you've optimized those files for the JBC, once you've scribbled them for study, you're going to have to use them even on pc and your other devices. Those files may not look good on other devices, after you edited for max result on the Triton.
Like I said, the light barely matters. You need light to read regular e-ink too; though the treshold might be a bit lower. But in real fact, hardly anyone is going to make an issue of replacing a 30W bulb with a 45W, as most people have 60+W bulbs in their ceilings.

Edit PDF's is not necessary, unless you really want no margins.
Same is true of the Kindle and many other e-ink devices out there; very few, actually none that I PERSONALLY know or have seen, or have worked on, has a PDF margin removal. So it's only a select few who have it, if any do have that feat.

About the scribble files, they are like separate (vector) bitmaps.You can overlay those on the text with a PDF editor; but I see no reason to export them from the device. Any other reader device with pen input will have some form (perhaps a different) scribble file format.
Complaining about this, is like complaining why your nokia's phone numbers won't transfer to your iphone (or other phone).
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 12:37 PM   #137
Valentinka
Zealot
Valentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle DXG, Sony PRS-T1, M92, iPad 3, ex-JetBook Color
Eyes strain

Quote:
Originally Posted by mod186k1 View Post
: I beg your pardon, but the "strain your eyes" story it's your feeling or it really hurt your eyes reading on JBC? I don't understand
(For example I experimented real trouble when I tried a couple of hours of iPad2)
JBC does makes my eyes tired much faster than DX, Sony T1 and even iPad 2. The criteria is pretty obvious and can be expressed in numbers - how long (in minutes or hours) I can read COMFORTABLY on each of these devices.

COMFORTABLY means - before my eyes get tired, before I really feel that I HAVE TO stop reading and give my eyes some rest. And the comfortable reading sessions are shortiest (in minutes) on JBC if compare it with other 3 devices above.
Valentinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2012, 12:39 PM   #138
mod186k1
Addict
mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad, PRS-T3, Kobo GLO HD, Paperwhite 2, PB Ultra, Ony Boox Max
Quote:
I hope that sooner or later you can export your scribbled pdf to use them everywhere.

Lorenzo you have deprecated informations

With jCrossScript you can import export JBC scribble in several format and with Jarnal (for example) you can easily exporting notes+PDF in a new PDF. But there is more: I, for example, with old "myScript note" coming from iLiad and even from my note-tablet (apitek mynote) I have also hand-recognition.

What are you talking about? As we say: "mica bau-bau micio-mio"

This weekend I will upload the final and stable version on sourceforge
mod186k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 12:42 PM   #139
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I find it peculiar that as soon as the first anti-Jetbook Color user appeared on mobileread,in a matter of a month, 4 or more other accounts where created around that same timeframe, all the same complainers, almost sounds to me it's one and the same user spamming from several accounts!
I'm not saying it's the case, but it's peculiar how they 'accidentally' all appeared on mobileread around the same timeframe, and how heavy advocates they are against JBC, almost as if they where afraid people would actually buy the device!

... Anyone else noticed?

Last edited by ProDigit; 03-15-2012 at 12:44 PM.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:43 PM   #140
lorenzoens
ex se ens
lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage edge & Pocket, Sony T1, Galaxy Note I, ex many others
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
About the scribble files, they are like separate (vector) bitmaps.You can overlay those on the text with a PDF editor; but I see no reason to export them from the device. Any other reader device with pen input will have some form (perhaps a different) scribble file format.
Complaining about this, is like complaining why your nokia's phone numbers won't transfer to your iphone (or other phone).
No no ProDigit,
after studied on my files, epup or pdf, I ALWAYS export them as pdf so that I can read the same annotations whatever app or device I'll use to read them. This is a feature I love and I couldnt do without.

About editing files, I didnt only mean trimming them, but maxing the saturation, changing colours int ogrey scales, etc. And when you have a good working device, you don't need any trimming to read the file: the custom zoom will be perfect for that purpose.

edit: Mod, I didnt know and didnt care if you already have some exporting methods, my point was that having to prepare the pdf to make it readable on the Triton is a hassle for lots of reasons (one of them being how you will reuse the scribbled pdf on different devices -without having to edit them again and again)

Last edited by lorenzoens; 03-15-2012 at 12:48 PM.
lorenzoens is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2012, 12:45 PM   #141
mod186k1
Addict
mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentinka View Post
...strains...
Another question: how many centimetres form your eyes you read the screen of JBC/Kindle DX?
Old 03-15-2012, 12:49 PM   #142
ProDigit
Karmaniac

Quote:
about editing files, I didnt only mean trimming them, but maxing the saturation, changing colours int ogrey scales, etc.
like said, I hope (though probably in vain) that ectaco will update it's drivers.
Basically changing color contrast and saturation is because you're not satisfied with the standard results.
It might be solvable by a FW upgrade, they only need to modify their screen drivers to do the job better, but the rewrite might be asked too much of the company.
I'll write greg about it one of these days, since he's been doing nothing but reading up on user input and talking to his engineers lately (and other things too most likely,so not really doing nothing)!

I'll at least grant him a couple of days rest the least
Old 03-15-2012, 12:54 PM   #143
mod186k1
Addict

Quote:
edit: Mod, I didnt know and didnt care if you already have some exporting methods, my point was that having to prepare the pdf to make it readable on the Triton is a hassle for lots of reasons (one of them being how you will reuse the scribbled pdf on different devices -without having to edit them again and again)
Ok, that's is different thing. But you are a bit confusing the Triton technology with the firmware issue. That to say even if Triton has his problem Ectaco have to improve the Reader software to mitigate the limits of color eink, providing automatically what I have to do on PC to prepare the PDF. But this is the first device with this technology and Jetbook Color are showing the way.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:56 PM   #144
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
I find it peculiar that as soon as the first anti-Jetbook Color user appeared on mobileread,in a matter of a month, 4 or more other accounts where created around that same timeframe, all the same complainers, almost sounds to me it's one and the same user spamming from several accounts!
I'm not saying it's the case, but it's peculiar how they 'accidentally' all appeared on mobileread around the same timeframe, and how heavy advocates they are against JBC, almost as if they where afraid people would actually buy the device!

... Anyone else noticed?
Have you forgotten that anyone who has a jetBook Color must have received it in the last month to a month and a half for the simple reason they weren't available to the public before then?

I find it peculiar how gung-ho you are about a device that is really a bit rubbish except in specific circumstances (lots of light pouring onto the screen). I can only assume you always have lots of light around, or you have specially sensitive eyes that work better reading the jetBook Color screen than mine do.

Anyway it's a silly argument to have, based on personal preferences and impressions. Some people find 35 degrees Celsius too hot to live in, others love it. Are you going to argue that one is right and the other must be a troll, denying the reality of how wonderful the temperature is just for the sake of it?

Andrew
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 12:58 PM   #145
lorenzoens
ex se ens
lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage edge & Pocket, Sony T1, Galaxy Note I, ex many others
...Andy I didnt even notice his post
lorenzoens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:03 PM   #146
mod186k1
Addict

Andrew, if I was a patience man I should wait to buy brand new JBC and wait some disappointed user can sell me at lower price
Old 03-15-2012, 01:14 PM   #147
Valentinka
Zealot
Valentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle DXG, Sony PRS-T1, M92, iPad 3, ex-JetBook Color
Quote:
Another question: how many centimetres form your eyes you read the screen of JBC/Kindle DX?
It depends in what part of our house (or outdoor) exactly I am reading. I am not a very structured person. I like to read a lot and often carry my book (or reader) with me around the house. Right now I am sitting at my desk on my office chair and reading DX from a distance about 30 cm (just measured). But It can be different if I am reading while sitting on the couch, or in different chair, or even on the bed (while holding the book or reader in my hands).
Valentinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:33 PM   #148
mod186k1
Addict

OK, it's only to give you a tip I experimented on myself: the best way to read on JBC is at a distance so you see a homogeneous background. Typically 30cm as distance from screen is good. If you have glasses even fewer.

about what you called "artefact": the common name is "ghost effect" and it occurs beacause with PDF viewer JBC perform a partial refresh instead of a full one (maybe to save battery or time). When you open the images you can choose to do a full refresh clicking on "Menu" button. I suggest you to contact Ectaco support (providing your JBC's S/N)to ask to add a full refresh even when reading documents. In this way maybe in the next firmware update they will add this feature.
Old 03-15-2012, 01:35 PM   #149
ProDigit
Karmaniac

30 cm is about right for a device like that.
On my 5" devices I read at about 20 cm distance.
If I keep my 5" reader about 22 cm from my eyes, I see about the same screen space, as reading the Jetbook Color at ~0.5 meters away; or reading the jetbook at 30cm from my eyes (comfortable), the 5" device needs to be ~15cm away from me to see the same screen space (is uncomfortably close).

Never came up in my mind to compare reading distances...
Old 03-15-2012, 01:36 PM   #150
ProDigit
Karmaniac

Quote:
OK, it's only to give you a tip I experimented on myself: the best way to read on JBC is at a distance so you see a homogeneous background. Typically 30cm as distance from screen is good. If you have glasses even fewer.

about what you called "artefact": the common name is "ghost effect" and it occurs beacause with PDF viewer JBC perform a partial refresh instead of a full one (maybe to save battery or time). When you open the images you can choose to do a full refresh clicking on "Menu" button. I suggest you to contact Ectaco support (providing your JBC's S/N)to ask to add a full refresh even when reading documents. In this way maybe in the next firmware update they will add this feature.
Double tapping in the center of the page with the stylus also refreshes the screen.