Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 01-01-2012, 12:58 PM   #16
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
This thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=162886
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 02:13 PM   #17
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronlizpatsimon View Post
But when I request the mobile "dropbox" site, I get the desktop version and no option to download the Dropbox to the Vox.
The other option many (including myself on my wife's Vox) have used, is to eMail the Dropbox ADK to your eMail account, and open that eMail on your Vox. Then you download the attachment there and install it.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2012, 03:25 PM   #18
ronlizpatsimon
Enthusiast
ronlizpatsimon began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by lioslaith View Post
I know that when I visited dropbox on my Vox I logged into my dropbox account and then went to the download page for android and was able to download the .apk file and install it directly without having to transfer/install using the USB cable from my PC.

Logging into my account seemed to make the difference, I tried once before and was referred to the android market, which we all know we can't use without jail breaking our Vox I believe, but once I logged in and tried the download link again I was able to download the apk file directly from my Vox browser and install it that way.

As for using the android app for dropbox I find it quick and easy for transferring both books and apps I have to sideload to install. I remembers your login details after first launch/set up and opens quickly to your public files/folders for easy download of content.
What,s this about using a USB cable to transfer items from a PC to a Vox. I thought that the charging socket on the Vox was only for charging. However; I did have a nokia USB cable which fitted so I connected Vox to PC. There was about 7 files but one would not move over as a driver was not found. On the PC I went to "Computer" but the Vox was not amoung the items found.
ronlizpatsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 03:33 PM   #19
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

You should have received a USB cable with your vox.
Old 01-01-2012, 03:38 PM   #20
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
Quote:
What,s this about using a USB cable to transfer items from a PC to a Vox. I thought that the charging socket on the Vox was only for charging. However; I did have a nokia USB cable which fitted so I connected Vox to PC. There was about 7 files but one would not move over as a driver was not found. On the PC I went to "Computer" but the Vox was not amoung the items found.
The Vox comes with a USB cable.

According to the manual, here is how you're supposed to use it:
Quote:
You can copy files to your Kobo Vox by connecting it to your computer (PC or Mac). This allows
you to store files, view images, and play music from your Kobo Vox.
To copy files to your Kobo Vox:
Step 1 of 3: Enable USB Storage mode
1. Tap the Home button on your Kobo Vox to go to the Home Screen.
2. Connect the included USB cable from your computer to your Kobo Vox.
3. Tap the Menu button on your Kobo Vox.
4. Tap Notifications.
5. Tap USB Connected.
6. Tap OK when the USB Connected dialog box appears.
7. Tap Turn On USB Storage.
8. Tap OK when the Turn On USB Storage? dialog box appears.
9. Tap OK again when the next dialog box appears. Your Kobo Vox will connect to your
computer.
Note: If you insert a Micro SD card in your Kobo Vox, you will see two devices on your computer
desktop: the Micro SD card, and Kobo Vox itself.
• On a PC: The Kobo Vox is identified as ”Removable Disk”.
• On a Mac: The Kobo Vox is identified as “Untitled”.
!
Step 2 of 3: Copy files to your Kobo Vox
1. On your computer, double click the USB device named Kobo Vox. For Mac users, the
shortcut will appear on your desktop. For Windows users, double click on My Computer.
2. Copy your desired files to your Kobo Vox, or copy your files to your Micro SD card.
Step 3 of 3: Ejecting your Kobo Vox from your computer
After you connect your Kobo Vox to your computer, you must eject it to safely remove it from your
computer. If you do not eject your Kobo Vox, you risk losing your books and files.
To eject your Kobo Vox after connecting it to a computer:
1. Right-click the name of your USB device (i.e. Untitled), and click Eject.
2. On your Kobo Vox, tap Turn Off USB Storage.
It does not quite work like that for me because I don't see 2 devices on my computer. Also, what is not explained is that if you have an external microSD card, that's all you'll see on your computer. If you remove the external microSD card, what you'll see is the internal microSD card, which has a lot more stuff on it.
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2012, 03:40 PM   #21
hpulley
Addict
hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo Vox, Playbook32
I see BOTH cards, internal and external, when I attach my Vox to my laptop with the USB cable. Each gets its one drive letter.
hpulley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 04:21 PM   #22
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

hpulley, you're right! after I press [TURN ON USB STORAGE] on the Vox after connecting, I see KOBOVOX F: and 2 more removable disks. F: is 5.34 GB, presumably a partition on the internal microSD card, G: is 7.39 GB, my external 8 gig microSD card, and H: is inaccessible, presumably the system partition of the internal card which I would only be able to see if my Vox were rooted. This is using Windows Explorer, or looking in "My Computer". The reason I thought that I could only see one card was that a new window also popped up for the external card and I didn't look in Windows Explorer. Glad we got that sorted out.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:00 PM   #23
ronlizpatsimon
Enthusiast
ronlizpatsimon began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_nobody View Post
As discussed in another thread, the dropbox website will direct android devices to the market so you need to visit dropbox.com using your pc and download the apk file that way.
Thanks. I've got "Dropbox" on the PC and the Vox now. As well as "Flash Player 11" and I can now use the BBC iplayer.
I did put one application onto an email but when I accessed the email on the vox; I could not find an option to download it or install it from the email?
ronlizpatsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 04:09 PM   #24
mr_nobody
Evangelist

Did you use the email app on the vox or access webmail through the vox's browser? There may be a difference in the success of either approach. I can't really give advice as I've never needed to email an app to myself.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:10 PM   #25
oldyellr
Evangelist

Quote:
I did put one application onto an email but when I accessed the email on the vox; I could not find an option to download it or install it from the email?
What email were you using? When I use Gmail, I just press the attachment when I open the message and the app file downloads. I never could get the Vox to configure its own email app with my primary email address and using webmail with the browser is too finicky, so I haven't tried to send myself an app file that way.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:13 PM   #26
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Remember that the only indication of the download is a "Downwards Arrow" on the top of the screen. That is the notification area. Tap that and it should show the downloads and give the option to install it.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote