Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-30-2011, 05:04 PM   #46
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
I hope you know that is all 100% BS. Jon Ives Worked at Apple years before the iPod, never approached Sony. Bluetooth audio devices, Sony or Otherwise, will work on any bluetooth device (including iPhones). Sony does not attempt to make things incompatible.
I wondered about that. Thanks for the info.
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 05:13 PM   #47
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Bluetooth audio devices, Sony or Otherwise, will work on any bluetooth device (including iPhones). Sony does not attempt to make things incompatible.
They do, but as the owner of a Sony Ericsson Bluetooth device, I have to tell you that when I contacted customer support they told me the device was only fully compatible with Sony phones. I just figured Bluetooth was Bluetooth.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2011, 05:27 PM   #48
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Isn't it ?!
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 06:40 PM   #49
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
They do, but as the owner of a Sony Ericsson Bluetooth device, I have to tell you that when I contacted customer support they told me the device was only fully compatible with Sony phones. I just figured Bluetooth was Bluetooth.
I know that's the company line, but it is bullshit. Reason for that is if they're using Bluetooth 3.0 spec, and someone has a device that is only 1.2, then not all of the features will work and the guy will be upset. They can only technically guarantee compatibility on devices they've tested with it, which often is their own stuff. You can insert random versions where you like. Plus it is a way to weasel out of customer support issues, thus reducing costs. If they say "we only support the device on Sony devices", then they don't have to help you if you use it on Brand X, even if there is a genuine fault with their product.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:19 AM   #50
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJoseph View Post
I stopped by a Sony store yesterday to see if there were any readers in stock. There were a few but they are all still full price. I asked the salesman why the price was still so high when everyone knows that Sony was ditching the line.

His comment? That the readers were worth the money and that the new line would be the tablet only.
I don't think that a price reduction would help them. The new models are plastic, and compared to the old ones, they would look cheaper. If that difference doesn't come with a big enough price reduction, many wouldn't be interested in buying them. Plus they might be trying to avoid the HP fiasco: people might think that if nobody buys them, the price will go even lower.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2011, 07:09 AM   #51
Soldim
Not so important
Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 4, iPad, Kobo Glo 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post
When Sony puts their mind to it they can really put out some nice products. However, their ereader was regarded by many as overpriced, and struggled in most markets iirc.
It struggled in the one market where many of the prospective buyers seem to go for quantity over quality. It has been rather popular in many Western-European markets. It seems to get sold in reasonable quantities in Australia and New-Zealand as well.

Selling a premium quality product has its merits
Soldim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 07:23 AM   #52
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldim View Post
It struggled in the one market where many of the prospective buyers seem to go for quantity over quality. It has been rather popular in many Western-European markets. It seems to get sold in reasonable quantities in Australia and New-Zealand as well.

Selling a premium quality product has its merits
Having the option of choice; Sony fares poorly against other quality ereaders like the Kindle and Nook, because of price.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 07:23 AM   #53
injapan
Addict
injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11, Kobo Arua 2 and iPad Air 3
No, I am sure they will release a new reader very soon
injapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 11:29 AM   #54
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Having the option of choice; Sony fares poorly against other quality ereaders like the Kindle and Nook, because of price.
You need to check the threads on where to get a Sony in the Sony section. Sony sold readers as fast as they could make them. So why would they want to lower hte price? If I can sell every one of a prodcut that I can make, I would RAISE the price. Why not make more?
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 11:55 AM   #55
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
You need to check the threads on where to get a Sony in the Sony section. Sony sold readers as fast as they could make them. So why would they want to lower hte price? If I can sell every one of a prodcut that I can make, I would RAISE the price. Why not make more?
Two questions:
  • how many do they make?
  • what's their US market share?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 12:42 PM   #56
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Two questions:
  • how many do they make?
  • what's their US market share?
Yeah, I can make five of something and sell them all and my competitor sells 50. I can say "Hey, I sold out", or "Hey, I sold jack shit compared to the next guy." If it was you, what would you prefer to say when your honor was at stake.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:39 PM   #57
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Yeah, I can make five of something and sell them all and my competitor sells 50. I can say "Hey, I sold out", or "Hey, I sold jack shit compared to the next guy." If it was you, what would you prefer to say when your honor was at stake.
Reminds me of the (very old, Cold War) story about the race between the Russians and the Americans... The Russians say they came in second, and the Americans were second last
It's all in the spin.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:50 PM   #58
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
The fact that Sony sold fewer units than, say, Kindles does not mean they made no money. I like the Sony models and would happily pay the premium price for them for various not-the-point-right-now reasons.

Industries need to get away from the idea that there's no point in selling a product if you can't be THE Kindle/iPad/Kleenex/etc. brand-namer.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:22 AM   #59
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
Quote:
No the point is, if I am limited to making only 5, and I can sell them at $1000 each, I do NOT care what my competition sells their product for. IF they make 50 and sell them at $1 each, SO WHAT?

In fact, if I can only make 5 and can sell all 5 at $1000 each, teh next batch, I will raise the price to $1500 each, and if they sell out, then to $2000 each.

Learn basic supply and demand. If the demand outstrips the supply, charge more. You only need to lower prices when you have a lot of a product and are not selling it fast enough.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:25 AM   #60
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
Learn basic supply and demand. If the demand outstrips the supply, charge more.
Or make more.
If there is lots of demand out there for Sony readers at their current prices, why aren't they making more of them?
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blog, kindle, sony