Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-02-2011, 07:16 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverClothe View Post
I know the history. And it is still true that library books were never supported. Now, you could obtain scripts that Amazon did not want you to know about, in order to modify the files (and technically not remove the DRM) in order for the Kindle to read them. But that hardly qualifies as "supporting."

It will be good to have all the major readers support library books. This can only help the ebook market.
That script was only for Mobipocket eBooks and now that libraries support ePub, that's just old history.

Anyway, this will cause the wait lists to go through the roof. Also, I feel this may be unfair depending on how it's done. If Kindle users can borrow PDF or Mobipocket and get AZW back, then it really is unfair and should be stopped. Those of us that use ePub cannot borrow PDF or Mobipocket and get ePub. The other thing that may not be fair is that for the ePub users, sometimes we didn't get ePub if the library already had PDF and/or Mobipocket. So let's hope it's ePub only that Kindle users get to borrow.

One change I feel Overdrive should do is set all the library borrowing times to 7 days and let the users change that to 14 days. 21 day borrowing times should be eliminated. Way too long given what we'll be soon facing.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:18 PM   #17
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

Anyway, this will cause the wait lists to go through the roof.
Quite possibly. But I don't think that artificially limiting who can check out an e-book is a good idea...and I think that having more people using library e-books may provide an incentive for the library to buy more.

Quote:
Also, I feel this may be unfair depending on how it's done. If Kindle users can borrow PDF or Mobipocket and get AZW back, then it really is unfair and should be stopped.
I don't see how this is unfair.
Quote:
Those of us that use ePub cannot borrow PDF or Mobipocket and get ePub. The other thing that may not be fair is that for the ePub users, sometimes we didn't get ePub if the library already had PDF and/or Mobipocket. So let's hope it's ePub only that Kindle users get to borrow.
Oh, it's only unfair because *Amazon* users may have access to some books that currently neither Amazon nor Epub users have easy access to. It doesn't *affect* epub users in any way, but because it helps Amazon users, its unfair. Even though it would have the effect of reducing wait lists...

Quote:

One change I feel Overdrive should do is set all the library borrowing times to 7 days and let the users change that to 14 days. 21 day borrowing times should be eliminated. Way too long given what we'll be soon facing.
This does make sense.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2011, 10:03 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
Quote:
Also, I feel this may be unfair depending on how it's done. If Kindle users can borrow PDF or Mobipocket and get AZW back, then it really is unfair and should be stopped.
I don't see how this is unfair.

Quote:
Those of us that use ePub cannot borrow PDF or Mobipocket and get ePub. The other thing that may not be fair is that for the ePub users, sometimes we didn't get ePub if the library already had PDF and/or Mobipocket. So let's hope it's ePub only that Kindle users get to borrow.
Oh, it's only unfair because *Amazon* users may have access to some books that currently neither Amazon nor Epub users have easy access to. It doesn't *affect* epub users in any way, but because it helps Amazon users, its unfair. Even though it would have the effect of reducing wait lists...
It is unfair because it means the Kindle users get to jump in and get what they want when they don't deserve it. If the library has a PDF or Mobipocket format of a given eBook and no ePub, ePub users are unable to download the ePub even though Overdrive has it available for libraries in ePub. This is what could make things unfair. But we won't know if this is the case or not until it happens. I do have KindleForPC and the Kindle app on my iPhone. So I can check out what the situation is. But if this is going to happen, I just want it to be fair to everyone.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:07 PM   #19
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
It is unfair because it means the Kindle users get to jump in and get what they want when they don't deserve it.
Well, that's clear as mud.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:16 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Well, that's clear as mud.
yes, it's the quoting system here that can make things a bit of a mess. Alex seems to refuse to implement proper quoting (quoting quotes).

I'm hoping that Kindle users cannot check out PDF or Mobipocket eBooks and get AZW when ePub users cannot do that. That is what I meant.
Advert
Old 08-02-2011, 10:31 PM   #21
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I'm still not following, but whatever.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:43 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'm still not following, but whatever.
The way this will work is that the Kindle users checks out the eBook and if Amazon has it, it gets served to the Kindle user via Amazon. Now does this mean any format eBook or just ePub? If it means any format eBook that the library has, then it's unfair to non-Kindle users.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:47 PM   #23
BrowseTheStacks
BrowseTheStacks
BrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle 3 3G + WI-FI
Quote:
It is unfair because it means the Kindle users get to jump in and get what they want when they don't deserve it. If the library has a PDF or Mobipocket format of a given eBook and no ePub, ePub users are unable to download the ePub even though Overdrive has it available for libraries in ePub. This is what could make things unfair. But we won't know if this is the case or not until it happens. I do have KindleForPC and the Kindle app on my iPhone. So I can check out what the situation is. But if this is going to happen, I just want it to be fair to everyone.
Haven't you been the siren song calling for Amazon to adopt a universal format (ie... epub). Would not each ebook lisense downloadable in any format be a step towards your goal of a universal format.
BrowseTheStacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:59 PM   #24
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
The way this will work is that the Kindle users checks out the eBook and if Amazon has it, it gets served to the Kindle user via Amazon. Now does this mean any format eBook or just ePub? If it means any format eBook that the library has, then it's unfair to non-Kindle users.
I understand what you're saying and it would be unfair.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:55 PM   #25
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I understand what you're saying and it would be unfair.
Life is unfair. Also, every day is children's day...

Seriously, so if all versions of a book are checked out except for an old mobipocket version, the library should refuse to check the book out to a Kindle user because they wouldn't be able to check it out to a Nook user?
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:56 PM   #26
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Did I call it, or what?

Quote:
By this logic, any book available in ePub but not Kindle will be "unfair" to Kindle users. Release the hounds!

Or, we can say that Overdrive has been "unfair" to date as it hasn't offered its services to Kindle users.

Besides, Overdrive plans to nerf format distinctions in its service in the near future. End-users won't see format options, and librarians won't have to purchase/license 3 PDF's, 2 ePubs and 1 AZW.

You really ought to accept that for Overdrive to expand its services to include more potential patrons is a Good Thing.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:33 AM   #27
charmian
Addict
charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW2
I don't see why it's unfair. If people with iPads can borrow all of these formats (they can, right?), why is it that much different? People who choose to read on computers can also borrow all of these things. Does that mean it was already unfair that people already could do this, depending on the device they had? However, we don't even know if this will be the case. I can understand the complaint that now epub users might face longer waiting times, but I don't really understand how other people being able to use something they can't use inconveniences them.

I was actually unaware that people with Sony/Nook/Kobo readers couldn't borrow PDFs from Overdrive. Why is this so?

I find it unlikely that Amazon will convert PDF files, because book PDF files often convert poorly, in my experience (page numbers, footnotes, title pages muck everything up). I think what will happen is that the borrower can get borrow a PDF, which the Kindle can read natively.
charmian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 02:57 AM   #28
beespeckled
Zealot
beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!

Device: KOBO Aura One; Kindle Oasis 3
charmaian says "I was actually unaware that people with Sony/Nook/Kobo readers couldn't borrow PDFs from Overdrive. Why is this so? "

I'm able to borrow PDF or Epubs thru the library(overdrive). I have the Sony PRS 300. I just can't have both formats on my eReader at the same time.
beespeckled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 03:13 AM   #29
Tome Keeper
Addict
Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Keyboard, Surface Tablet, Android Smartphone, Laptop, Netbook
Quote:
I don't agree with this. Some people simply cannot read a book in 14 days and should not be penalised for this just to reduce waiting times. I'm especially thinking about those with learning difficulties which make reading slow and difficult. How about those who take out non-fiction books? Books for a project?

What libraries need to do is buy an appropriate number of copies, in many cases this really needs overdrive and the publishers to work on a new model for libraries to purchase books.
Tome Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 03:49 AM   #30
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
The problem of more readers leading to longer waiting times would surely be at least as bad if the whole world were to follow JS Wolf's ideas and adopt epub en masse.
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon, kindle, library, tablet