Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-06-2007, 07:06 AM   #1
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
New competition for eink. Pink

A 3-color ink-concept is being developped:

http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/06/o...er-technology/

From their website the only downside is that it will use power when the image is static...

1. Full color display from single material for low materials and production cost.
2. Meet signage needs in size from shelf edge to highway billboards.
3. High brightness, peak reflectivity up to 95%.
4. Low power consumption.
1. Low voltage and current during switching.
2. Minimal power consumption when image is static.
5. Sub-second switching speed.
6. Heat management through controllable IR reflectivity.
7. Applicable on rigid or flexible substrates.
8. Lightweight, rugged, durable, and damage tolerant.
9. Costs scales only linearly with size.

Last edited by athlonkmf; 09-06-2007 at 07:08 AM.
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 07:17 AM   #2
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Interesting. Nice to see new display technologies emerge. Good to have some competition.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2007, 08:03 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's a bit of a "girlie" name, though
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 10:18 AM   #4
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's a bit of a "girlie" name, though
And here I thought it had a Communist implication!
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 12:03 PM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
She-Commies!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2007, 07:57 PM   #6
LaughingVulcan
Technophile
LaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-650 Sony, Nook Simpletouch, more legacy gear than I can remember
Did you mean to say, "does not use power when the display is static?" CRTs and LCDs use power when the display is static or dynamic.... and I can't see a display not using power while dynamic.

Quote:

I'm lyin' here on the floor where you left me
I think you read too much
I'm waiting here, out in the sun
My contrast not undone

I can't stay in your briefcase, you have to thumb the latch
I can't stay on your bedstand, its me that you will snatch
You tried to put me down again, but there's just a little catch
I think you'll pick me up, cause you must

Read just as fast as you can
To the total of your books
To the twiddle of your next page button
And I swear I'm just a cheap thrill
Instead of usin' that paper, you keep changin' pix-ells
You keep changin' pix-ells

I haven't recharged from the day when you bought me
I got good bat'try life
All of the other pads were different
They all had back lights.

I can't stay being just black & white, there's a color display which
I think will come out real soon, once we work out the glitch
It will be cool on launch and then it fills an ebook niche,
I think I'll buy one then, so I can

Read just as fast as I can
To the total of my books
To the twiddle of the next page button
And I swear it's just a cheap thrill
Instead of usin' that paper, I keep changin' pix-ells
I keep changin' pix-ells

*repeat chorus and bridge 'till you're sick of it*
And, yes, folks, that little filk was "Just like Pix-el" by Pink
LaughingVulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 02:04 AM   #7
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughingVulcan View Post
Did you mean to say, "does not use power when the display is static?" CRTs and LCDs use power when the display is static or dynamic.... and I can't see a display not using power while dynamic.
:
no, in their specs it says
Quote:
2. Minimal power consumption when image is static.
so... there is power consumption when the display is showing static images.
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 08:17 AM   #8
LaughingVulcan
Technophile
LaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-650 Sony, Nook Simpletouch, more legacy gear than I can remember
*Rereads therad*

I get it now. For some reason I read the top post as only using power when the display is static... I was . Thats for straightening me out.
LaughingVulcan is offline   Reply With Quote