Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-08-2011, 09:46 PM   #1
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
The Logic Of Copyright

Greetings,

Since many of us are logical fans here's a little something to ponder,

1. No one is in favor of censorship
2. Copyright is censorship
3. Therefore, No one is in favor of copyright

I can see that statement 2 might cause issues so here are definitions for copyright and censorship from the Wiktionary, the dictionary we can all agree upon.

Copyright -The right by law to be the entity which determines who may publish, copy and distribute a piece of writing, music, picture or other work of authorship.

Censorship - The use of state or group power to control freedom of expression, such as passing laws to prevent media from being published or propagated.

As you can read, they are equal, so the logic of the statements above is sound.

Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 09:49 PM   #2
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
I'm trying to figure out whether you're serious or you're one huge troll. I'm afraid to look under the bridge for fear of what I might find.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2011, 09:51 PM   #3
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
I'm trying to figure out whether you're serious or you're one huge troll. I'm afraid to look under the bridge for fear of what I might find.
If you believe in logic, you would take the statements for their logical value, and disregard the entity who made the statements.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:52 PM   #4
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
That's what I thought. Troll.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 09:55 PM   #5
Giggleton
Banned

What did you think? Or has the problem been that you have not? We are capable of so much, if only we would realize such.
Advert
Old 05-08-2011, 09:59 PM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
By that definition, I'm in favor of censorship; therefore, logic fail.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 10:12 PM   #7
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Making statements by definition doesn't make them true therefore your syllogism is fatally flawed... Copyright is NOT censorship, it is concerned with IP creators being able to make a living and receive remuneration for their work whereas censorship is concerned with removing IP/creations from anyone's access... not the same...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 10:50 PM   #8
Giggleton
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
Making statements by definition doesn't make them true therefore your syllogism is fatally flawed... Copyright is NOT censorship, it is concerned with IP creators being able to make a living and receive remuneration for their work whereas censorship is concerned with removing IP/creations from anyone's access... not the same...
We have to agree on definitions, otherwise they are meaningless.

So by your reasoning, you should be able to copy freely anything and everything that you wish? I do this and encourage others to do the same, many people do the same, it would be best if more people did.
Old 05-08-2011, 11:16 PM   #9
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Definitely trolling... and I wonder why you're so concerned with books, reading etc when, from your comment below, it's perfectly clear you can't read because that is not what I said... or even implied, that's your view... of course, you're looking in a mirror again, dazzled by your own brilliance...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggleton View Post
We have to agree on definitions, otherwise they are meaningless.

So by your reasoning, you should be able to copy freely anything and everything that you wish? I do this and encourage others to do the same, many people do the same, it would be best if more people did.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 12:37 AM   #10
Giggleton
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
Definitely trolling... and I wonder why you're so concerned with books, reading etc when, from your comment below, it's perfectly clear you can't read because that is not what I said... or even implied, that's your view... of course, you're looking in a mirror again, dazzled by your own brilliance...
I still don't understand then, you gave a definition of copyright that is dependent on my acceptance of the definition, I do not accept your definition, therefore your definition is meaningless.

The only definition that has any meaning is ONE THAT WE CAN ALL AGREE ON AND EDIT. I simply listed two words that can for all intents and purposes be used interchangeably by anyone who uses the wiki site...

what is trolling?
Old 05-09-2011, 12:39 AM   #11
Leyor
Ninja Librarian
Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Cybook 3. gen, Sony T1, Kindle Paperwhite
Is this a logic quiz?

False syllogism.

Do another
Leyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 12:50 AM   #12
Giggleton
Banned

Just rewording the wiki definitions,

Copyright is a law determining who may copy
Censorship is a law determining what may be copied
Copyright is a subset? of Censorship

I'm not really a fan of logical discourse, I prefer absurd discussion but it does seem to me that sharing more things would be good.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:53 AM   #13
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Copyright = censorship. It was funny at first, but with this constant repetition it is getting old.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 01:28 AM   #14
Leyor
Ninja Librarian
Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Cybook 3. gen, Sony T1, Kindle Paperwhite
Unless you definite the premises better, you could just as easily do a:

Censorship's intent is to suppress information
Copyrights intent is to control ownership and distribution.
Supressing information and controlling ownership of said information are not the same.

Yeah it's bad but it's late But you need some better premises.

While copyright may lead to censorship, and both might be reprehensive. They are not the same. That'd be an appeal to probability.

Maybe if we try something less ambitious and build on it:

Copyright has traditionally lead to increased costs for consumers
You're a consumer
Copyright leads to increased costs for you.

I'll think of something when I wake up.
Leyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 02:55 AM   #15
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS

you've already done this to death mate. Give it a break.

Last edited by wannabee; 05-09-2011 at 02:58 AM.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote