Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-19-2011, 03:53 AM   #1
jekkii
jekkii began at the beginning.

Device: none
How many books?

Could anybody tell me how many books can reasonably be in one library?
I have total appr. 10000 titles on CDs. Till now i have transfered 840 books in Calibre, and the whole process is pretty slow.
Best regards
jekkii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 03:57 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I do not think there is an upper limit. I currently have around 11,500 books in my library (each one in a variety of formats). I have heard of others with 30,000 or more.

Having said that the process of adding books can take some time - particularily if you are trying to update metadata at the same time or convert to other formats. I have built my calibre library up in stages over a couple of years.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2011, 03:59 AM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jekkii View Post
Could anybody tell me how many books can reasonably be in one library? I have total appr. 10000 titles on CDs. Till now i have transfered 840 books in Calibre, and the whole process is pretty slow.
Best regards
I currently have 2 libraries 1 is a working library that has 12500 books and a second finalized library that has 5000 books in it. Calibre doesn't blink an eye in handling either library.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 04:59 AM   #4
jekkii
jekkii began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks!
jekkii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:19 AM   #5
darknessangel
Addict
darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
I currently have 2 libraries 1 is a working library that has 12500 books and a second finalized library that has 5000 books in it. Calibre doesn't blink an eye in handling either library.
I think he refers to adding the books not handling the library.
darknessangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2011, 08:04 AM   #6
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Personally I think that the number of books that you can put in your reader is bounded by the amount of memory that reader and the SD card. I did a search on Yahoo and there are no answers to that question but the concensus is there are approximatly 4 million photos per 8gb sd card. So sicne a book tends to be bigger then a photo I would suppose approximatly 2 million books on your SD card depending on size of the book. As long as you don't go putting Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series on the SD card, those are extordinarily large or some of the Harry Potter series are rather long you should be able to get away with approximatly 2 million books. Then when you reach that limit you could always swap out for a new SD card and keep going.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:19 AM   #7
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
I think your numbers are wrong there. Just doing a quick order of magnitude calculation, with 4 million pictures on an 8 GB card you get about 2 KB per picture. That's somewhere around stamp sized... My photos are about 1-2 MB per picture on a 4 megapixel camera.
My books tend to be around 0.5-1 MB. On my readers' card (256 MB) I have about 180 books, some of them about 20 MB (lecture scripts, don't ask).

However, I totally fail to see how the number of books on your reader connects to the number of books you can have in your Calibre library.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:14 AM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Personally I think that the number of books that you can put in your reader
I totally fail to see how the number of books on your reader connects to the number of books you can have in your Calibre library.
You are correct the topic here was how many books in your library, which obviously has nothing to do with SD cards or readers.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote