Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-29-2010, 12:21 PM   #1
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
In defense of the new nook.

Here is a great article on the positives of the nookcolor.

http://www.wordsfinest.com/2010/10/i...-new-nook.html
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 12:45 PM   #2
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Whoever like it should buy it.

Still it's not a replacement for or the next e-Reader. It's just a color tablet for book reading only.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2010, 12:50 PM   #3
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDream View Post
Whoever like it should buy it.

Still it's not a replacement for or the next e-Reader. It's just a color tablet for book reading only.

So many people are acting like they are ditching the original nook with eink.
It drives me crazy.

Its an addition to their product line. Now BN has an excellent eink device and if this lives up to it's specs, theY will now ALSO have an excellent LCD full touchscreen color device.

I wrote a comment in the posted blog of the OP.

Samsung makes LCD HDTV's AND they make Plasma HDTV's
this is no different.

You want a nook and want eink get the original
You want a nook and want color and animations get NookColor.

I am failing to see why people are not making this connection.

I don't know why some people have this whole "The sky is falling" mentality.

PEOPLE ITS JUST AN ADDITION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 01:42 PM   #4
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
PEOPLE ITS JUST AN ADDITION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!
then they should call it something else. Not the Nook [Color]. This is a different beast than the Nook and hence, should be called something different.

I think it is a good idea that BN is expanding their offerings, just not liking the naming going on here.
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 01:51 PM   #5
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
It's an addition, but I also see it as a temporary stop gap until the real color digital reader products become viable. I'm not sure why it needs "defending." It is reasonably enough priced and there will always be some tech-heads who want to buy new stuff. It'll do okay. There's no shame in owning one.

Some people who just can't wait for whatever reason might buy it now. But many will simply wait for the superior technology and most who do will probably be in the market for the superior technology in a year or so.

I seriously doubt even Barnes and Noble expects this to be a long-term cornerstone of their business. They'll quit selling it for something better sometime in the not so distant future.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2010, 02:52 PM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
eReaders will eventually morph into tablets. The future is one display technology capable of handling all chores - reading, productivity, gaming, video, imaging, etc.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 02:56 PM   #7
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravensknight View Post
then they should call it something else. Not the Nook [Color]. This is a different beast than the Nook and hence, should be called something different.

I think it is a good idea that BN is expanding their offerings, just not liking the naming going on here.
So should Samsung call their plasma's and LCD's something different than tv's? LCD is a TV the Plasam is watching device?
Old 10-29-2010, 03:16 PM   #8
mcooke66
Connoisseur
mcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to behold

Device: Nook ST - Nook 1st Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
eReaders will eventually morph into tablets. The future is one display technology capable of handling all chores - reading, productivity, gaming, video, imaging, etc.

I could not agree more. As soon as we can get serious improvements in battery life out of higher fucntionaing devices this conversasion will be all over.
mcooke66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 03:50 PM   #9
Reeses
Reeses is on a distinguished road

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravensknight View Post

It's for marketing...They need people to be able to associate this product with Barnes and Noble. If it's called something else...I hate brining this up, but everyone knows Ipad, Ipod, etc are from Apple. Imagine calling the Ipad something like Coolbook...no one's gonna know.
Reeses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 05:52 PM   #10
nyrath
Addict
nyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfolded

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
I seriously doubt even Barnes and Noble expects this to be a long-term cornerstone of their business. They'll quit selling it for something better sometime in the not so distant future.
Yes, but the color Nook is probably a very important short-term cornerstone of their business, so the company does not go bankrupt in the not so distant future.

The original Nook was looking pretty anemic compared to the latest Kindle.
nyrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 06:22 PM   #11
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
It's an addition, but I also see it as a temporary stop gap until the real color digital reader products become viable.
I disagree. Color e-ink is a dead end technology. It will never be able to do video.

B&B (or Amazon) don't sell comic books (AFAIK), so what's the point of color e-ink?Just to show covers of books?

Video lets them sell video, be it movies or TV shows or video games, something both B&N and Amazon dabble in.

So my point is, don't think that LCD screens are a stop gap, they pretty much are the future
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 07:46 PM   #12
Acrimonus
Enthusiast
Acrimonus began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
I disagree. Color e-ink is a dead end technology. It will never be able to do video.
Orly? Source for this claim?
Acrimonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 08:05 PM   #13
L.J. Sellers
Novelist
L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I think a mini color tablet that looks and feels like an e-reader is a brilliant marketing move and they'll sell really well for a while. In the long run, it may fizzle because it doesn't have full functionality for either. Or maybe not. I love seeing all the new gadgets and don't get personally attached to any.
L.J.
L.J. Sellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 11:49 PM   #14
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.J. Sellers View Post
I think a mini color tablet that looks and feels like an e-reader is a brilliant marketing move and they'll sell really well for a while. In the long run, it may fizzle because it doesn't have full functionality for either. Or maybe not. I love seeing all the new gadgets and don't get personally attached to any.
L.J.
ahh but theres the beauty of it running a high end android os, if the market calls for it, BN can open it up and basically run like a Galaxy S Tab minus the camera.

so it's not like they painted themselves in a future corner.
Old 10-30-2010, 02:39 AM   #15
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
LCD reading devices existed before eink and were quite good (rca or ebookwise). There is no law saying a company can't extend the technology of LCD reading devices. Just because it is LCD doesn't mean it has to have all the tablet capabilities. Some of us, specifically those who like reading in dark places, love LCD reading devices and have been waiting a long time for them. Like I said before, you have tons of eink devices to choose from, let those of us who enjoy something else have a turn with a new device.

Last edited by ColdSun; 10-30-2010 at 02:41 AM.
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote