Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-19-2009, 02:44 AM   #1
rogue_ronin
Banned
rogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nokia 770 (fbreader)
Anyone in Honolulu, or on Oahu?

Title says it, basically.

m a r
rogue_ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 10:56 AM   #2
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
check out Grace Krispy, oh and wodin
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 11:18 AM   #3
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
No, but I'd like to be!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 11:38 AM   #4
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Yup! Oahu, Not Honolulu. I live Aiea and work at Fort Shafter, which is in Honolulu. Grace lives on the Big Island in Kona. I believe she teaches school there.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 12:27 PM   #5
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Wodin speaks the truth. And big island is way better! Except we have no stores or restaurants and lots of VOG. But still better!
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 12:29 PM   #6
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
no - but send me the airfare and i'll investigate for you ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 12:29 PM   #7
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I used to live on Kapiolani right on the canal. Also lived out in Pearl City back in the 80's. Wished I still did!
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 01:05 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's really called "big island"? Someone must have been rather lacking in imagination when they named that one!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 01:09 PM   #9
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
Wodin speaks the truth. And big island is way better! Except we have no stores or restaurants and lots of VOG. But still better!
I used to work at Pohakuloa, on the Saddle Road, and lived (during the work week) in Hilo. I commuted to Oahu on weekends. That got way too expensive, and I had to take a job on Oahu.

The Big Island is still my favorite Island!

In the Cat People thread HERE:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
Let me try that.

This should be a pic of my baby girl Imo.
Is a picture of my Kitty Girl, Imo. She used to commute with me. It got so she would willingly get into the carrier box so she could go home to Hilo. One of our other cats used to beat her up all the time.

Imo means "twinkle, as in twinkleing of the eye" in Hawaiian.
Old 08-19-2009, 03:40 PM   #10
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's really called "big island"? Someone must have been rather lacking in imagination when they named that one!
The island's name is Hawai'i, as is the State, so "natives" call it The Big Island.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 04:30 PM   #11
wodin
Illiterate

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
The island's name is Hawai'i, as is the State, so "natives" call it The Big Island.
And when used in that context Big Island is capitalized.

Sometimes we jokingly call the Continental US the BIG Big Island, but usually we just say the mainland.

Last edited by wodin; 08-19-2009 at 04:34 PM.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:21 PM   #12
carlobee
Fanatic
carlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-books

Device: The new iPad
i'd love to be there rogue_ronin but i'm from far far away. why'd you ask by the way?

carlobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 02:05 AM   #13
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
Actually, no one outside the state of Hawai'i seems to know there is an island called Hawai'i in addition to the entire island chain being named Hawai'i (ok, so I'm exaggerating...), so whenever I tell people I live *on* Hawai'i (the key word being "on" which denotes living on a specific island, whereas living *in* Hawai'i could be anywhere on the island chain), they still say "oh, which island?" to which I can answer "Hawai'i" and then they see "but what island?" and we go on and on. You can see how it turns into a "who's on second" type of conversation. sometimes I do engage in it, just for fun :P

So, I live on Hawai'i, in Hawai'i, on the biggest island, which does *not* contain Honolulu (which is not actually pronounced Hah-nah-loo-loo in the Hawaiian language, it is hoe-no-loo-loo); that's O'ahu.

Beer, anyone?
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 02:14 AM   #14
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Seems to me there are inhabitants of a small Island in the North Atlantic who call the Atlantic Ocean "The Pond"

Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 02:25 AM   #15
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
Actually, no one outside the state of Hawai'i seems to know there is an island called Hawai'i in addition to the entire island chain being named Hawai'i (ok, so I'm exaggerating...), so whenever I tell people I live *on* Hawai'i (the key word being "on" which denotes living on a specific island, whereas living *in* Hawai'i could be anywhere on the island chain), they still say "oh, which island?" to which I can answer "Hawai'i" and then they see "but what island?" and we go on and on. You can see how it turns into a "who's on second" type of conversation. sometimes I do engage in it, just for fun :P

So, I live on Hawai'i, in Hawai'i, on the biggest island, which does *not* contain Honolulu (which is not actually pronounced Hah-nah-loo-loo in the Hawaiian language, it is hoe-no-loo-loo); that's O'ahu.

Beer, anyone?
Q:So when you get your check from school, which Island do they send it to?

A: Hawai'i

Q: But which Island on Hawai'i?

Q: I just asked you a question, and you respond like a hoot owl. Have you gone completely Maui Wowie?

A: Second base!

Q: So if a teacher worked on Maui, where would they send her check?

Q: No wonder no one teaches on Maui!
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote