Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 01-05-2009, 05:15 AM   #1
CascataNerina
CascataNerina began at the beginning.

Device: None
Question Wondering What Abroad

I'm an English teacher in Korea, and an avid reader. I sort of ignored the whole problem of the thought of a miniature apartment being filled with my books. I also ignored the problem of the cost of English books in a foreign land. I love my job, but I love books too.

Second strange aspect - My laptop is a Linux (An Asus eeePC to be exact), and so it won't work with a lot of the eReaders out there.

I wanted a Kindle originally, but it's not worth the price if I can't have connectivity (Korea has a closed cell phone system so I believe it won't work).

As for Sony's theirs doesn't say anything about a Linux interface.
Neither does the SoriBook.
The eSlick may interface with Linux, but I'm not sure what kind, and it's not available in Korea.

HELP!
I'm sure there are or were others out there in similar predicaments...

Please help,
Casi

http://www.leahildebrand.blogspot.com
CascataNerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 05:42 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
The Bookeen Cybook would work for you. It connects via USB using the standard USB Mass Storage device protocols, so if USB memory sticks formatted as FAT32 work on your laptop, the CyBook will work on your laptop.

This would give you access to all the Mobipocket ebooks out there, even the DRMed ones, since the CyBook can read those too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CascataNerina View Post
I'm an English teacher in Korea, and an avid reader. I sort of ignored the whole problem of the thought of a miniature apartment being filled with my books. I also ignored the problem of the cost of English books in a foreign land. I love my job, but I love books too.

Second strange aspect - My laptop is a Linux (An Asus eeePC to be exact), and so it won't work with a lot of the eReaders out there.

I wanted a Kindle originally, but it's not worth the price if I can't have connectivity (Korea has a closed cell phone system so I believe it won't work).

The eSlick may interface with Linux, but I'm not sure what kind, and it's not available in Korea.

HELP!

Please help,
Casi

pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 09:33 AM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Casi and welcome to the Forum.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 09:44 AM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Hi, Casi. Welcome to the forum.

First of all, if you have a U.S. based credit card and address tied to your amazon account, the Kindle would work. You would just download to your computer, then transfer to your Kindle. Whispernet is not able t work out of country, and even here in some areas its not available. You also could not download samples.
They won't ship the Kindle out of country, either. Here is the customer support number for 'international customers' (I know) if you would like to contact them about the Linux.

International customers can reach us at 1-206-266-0927.

Good Luck!

Last edited by desertgrandma; 01-05-2009 at 09:49 AM.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 09:45 AM   #5
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Also the Hanlin V3 (by Jinke - also sold in the States as the EZ Reader) will work via USB. I have an EZ Reader (the American English version of the Chinese Hanlin V3) and an ASUS EEE running Linux. They recognize each other just fine. As stated above, the Cybook (which I also have) should work equally well. Both allow you to use Mobipocket books (with or without DRM - Digital Rights Management) and there are several places to get reasonable priced ebooks (e.g. Fictionwise, Books on Board, Baen).

One nice thing with the EZ Reader is that you can use RTF files which you can create (your own work, etc.) using Open Office that comes with teh ASUS EEE so you could have your lesson plans, etc. on the Reader.

Oh & welcome to the forum.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 12:12 PM   #6
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
hi casi and welcome !

as others have said, the cybook will work with linux as it is seen as a usb mass storage device. actually, the sony 700 will also, for the same reason, and i believe also the 505. there may be even more options available to you ! the sony devices will read the epub format natively, and you can easily convert mobipocket so those books are available to you as well.

whatever device you choose, since you are on linux, i recommend you take a look at calibre for your library management and format conversion : it is available for linux, and it is really handy for managing your ebooks and also for rss feeds (among other things !). i use it exclusively, although i am using a windows pc.

i'm sure you will be really happy with whatever device you choose !
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 12:16 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
as others have said, the cybook will work with linux as it is seen as a usb mass storage device. actually, the sony 700 will also, for the same reason, and i believe also the 505. there may be even more options available to you ! the sony devices will read the epub format natively, and you can easily convert mobipocket so those books are available to you as well.
True. But, the problem with the Sony for non-Windows users is that the firmware updaters run on Windows. And, we can only assume or hope that there will be firmware updates for the 700 if not the 505.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 12:24 PM   #8
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
True. But, the problem with the Sony for non-Windows users is that the firmware updaters run on Windows. And, we can only assume or hope that there will be firmware updates for the 700 if not the 505.

BOb
oh okay, i didn't know that. that's a good point. although, the firmware updates probably won't come out every week ; perhaps casi could get occasional access to a pc for that purpose.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 02:51 AM   #9
CascataNerina
CascataNerina began at the beginning.

Device: None
The Cybook might work. I was already aware of the problem for the Sony, but thanks for mentioning it. The problem with the Cybook would be the expense of getting it to me.

Does anyone know anything about SoriBook or NUUTbook? Both are directly out of South Korea, so they would be cheaper. I just need to know if I can get an English interface, and if they will interface with the Linux.
CascataNerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 02:00 AM   #10
hanasea
Enthusiast
hanasea began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, iPod Touch
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by CascataNerina View Post

HELP!

Please help,
Casi

Hi Casi, Nice to meet you.
I'm a native Korean and live in Korea right now.
I ordered my kindle from ebay and waiting for it.

As you know it is hard to reach for English books in here. Since I love Heinlein, Bujold, and other lovely English classics I bought several paper-back from U.S, but it cost a lot and there is no more bookshelves for me.

I guess I'm fine with no-wireless-enviroment and ok with USB connection. I'd like to read Sharing Knife #4 as soon as possible, and Ebook will be arrive sooner than other hard-cover books. I just download them. It's much simpler than buying them for physical copy (ship to international and wait for them.. it's hard part)

I think My kindle will be arrive around 2 weeks, and If you live near Seoul maybe we can meet and talk about kindle. :-)

In Korea, most of people do not interest in kindle(and other Ebook) and I'd like to talk with somebody who has actual interest for it.

Happy new korean year

Hana Yu
Nursing Student of Korea Catholic University
hanasea is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
korea