Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-14-2013, 10:41 AM   #1
The Blue Monkey
The Blue Monkey began at the beginning.

Device: none
Which one should I get? preferences inside

I would like to buy an ebook reader, but I have almost zero knowledge on the matter so I really need your help, please.

My preferences:

Must have:
- E-ink screen
- Be able to read in the dark (without a lamp)
- Dictionary support, English to Hebrew

Would like to have:
- Touch screen, because I think that it will be easier to use the dictionary that way.

Thanks in advance,
The Blue Monkey.

Last edited by The Blue Monkey; 09-14-2013 at 11:10 PM.
The Blue Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 04:07 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Are you sure deal breakers means what you think it means?

A touch screen without e-ink screen would be a tablet. But all tablets are able to read in the dark, and you said that was a deal breaker.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2013, 11:14 PM   #3
The Blue Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
Are you sure deal breakers means what you think it means?

A touch screen without e-ink screen would be a tablet. But all tablets are able to read in the dark, and you said that was a deal breaker.
I meant that it's a deal breaker if it doesn't has it
Edited my post.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:09 AM   #4
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blue Monkey View Post
- E-ink screen
- Be able to read in the dark (without a lamp)

- Touch screen, because I think that it will be easier to use the dictionary that way.
Of the current choices, the three top candidates are:

Kobo Glo (soon to be replaced with Kobo Aura, which is different from Aura HD)
Kindle Paperwhite (soon to be replacd with Paperwhite 2)
Bookeen Cybook Odyssey FL

All three of them are 6" inch e-ink reader with built in front light and touchscreen (the Bookeen additionally has physical page-turn buttons). On the Paperwhite the light is always on, the two others have on/off switches for it. The level of brightness is adjustable.

What I can't answer is the question about the Hebrew/English dictionary.

The right choice also depends a bit on how you get your e-books and how tech-savvy you are. If you buy mostly at Amazon, then the Kindle is the obvious choice. If you buy books elsewhere, or will mostly get books in the epub format, then I would recommend one of the two others.
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 04:44 PM   #5
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
You can always check the Kindle store for a Hebrew dictionary, but I don't think that the Kindle supports Hebrew characters, so that would be a problem.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2013, 02:55 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mivo View Post
Kobo Glo (soon to be replaced with Kobo Aura, which is different from Aura HD)
Just to clarify: The Glo is not being discontinued. The Aura is being added between the Glo and Aura HD. But, I could see why someone would want the Aura instead of the Glo.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 04:07 AM   #7
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
You can always check the Kindle store for a Hebrew dictionary, but I don't think that the Kindle supports Hebrew characters, so that would be a problem.
All current Kindle eInk devices and apps do support Hebrew and Arabic. For details see this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blue Monkey View Post
Must have:
AFAIK, no ready-made English-to-Hebrew eInk pop-up dictionaries exist. However, it's possible to convert tab-delimited English-Hebrew word lists to Kindle and Kobo look-up dictionaries for eInk devices using free tools. However, most free word lists available on the Internet simply don't provide enough coverage and don't include inflections.

IIRC, an eInk reader with Hebrew dictionary support is available for purchase in Israel, but I don't remember the details.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:04 AM   #8
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
PocketBook 623 Touch Lux - has touchscreen, high-res 6" front lit e-ink, MASSIVE format support, hebrew user interface (among 20 others), support for user dictionaries, extensive configuration possibilities, TTS in many languages (including English child voice).

With the support for user-created dictionaries you can try searching the net for a En-Hebrew dictionary for Pocketbook readers. There are about 20 built-in dictionaries and many others for sale from store.obrey.com but not hebrew. It is not easy, because Hebrew is "right to left" language and the dictionary application would need special support for that.

PocketBook is fourth largest e-ink reader manufacturer in the world.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 02:49 PM   #9
The Blue Monkey

Your comments have been very helpful, thank you very much!
I did a little bit more research, decided to give-up on the En-to-He dictionary (I'll have to settle for En-to-En dictionary =/) and to buy the Kobo Aura when it will come out on the market (in the 20th if I understood correctly).

Thanks again,
The Blue Monkey.