Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-04-2013, 02:49 PM   #1
MamaStorm
MamaStorm began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch Glowlight
Replacing Nook?

I have a Nook Simple Touch w/ Glowlight, and I love it. What I don't love is that half the books I want aren't available on B&N, but are on Amazon, which I thought was an incompatible file format.

I just read that Amazon is switching over from .mobi to .epub, but the site doesn't give you the file extension of the "Kindle Edition," and I really don't want to pay for a book I can't ever read. I think that's understandable enough.

Is there a reader (preferably eInk, ideally with a backlight) that can handle both? I was looking at the Kobo Touch, but I'm getting contradictory info on supported file formats.

Halp??
MamaStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 02:50 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Amazon is NOT switching over to ePub. That's completely false information. It is, however, extremely easy to convert from Amazon's formats (Mobi and KF8) to ePub, and vice versa, using the wonderful free program "Calibre".

Last edited by HarryT; 07-04-2013 at 02:53 PM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 02:51 PM   #3
MamaStorm

And this is why I kinda hate the internet.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:09 PM   #4
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
The internet is useful for some things though, it'll tell you how to root your Nook so you can install the Kindle for Android app on it and that will allow you to read Kindle books as well as the epubs you already read on it.

Or as HarryT says, you can use Calibre to convert the books you buy from Amazon to epub format so your Nook can read them (though if they have DRM you have to remove it first before Calibre can convert - google apprentice alf for details).

The Kobo Touch supports mobi format but not that well and only for DRM free books. So your two options are those listed above.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 04:29 PM   #5
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaStorm View Post
And this is why I kinda hate the internet.
Yeah, it is a pain.

You got two options:

1) Use Calibre to strip the DRM then convert to epub and load them onto your Nook.

2) Root your Nook. This is a wonderful thing but only for the tech-savvy.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 04:57 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
Or as HarryT says, you can use Calibre to convert the books you buy from Amazon to epub format so your Nook can read them (though if they have DRM you have to remove it first before Calibre can convert - google apprentice alf for details).
Or the other way round, of course: buy a Kindle and convert your ePub books to KF8.
Old 07-04-2013, 06:25 PM   #7
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Or the other way round, of course: buy a Kindle and convert your ePub books to KF8.
Or buy a Kindle, use that for Kindle books, and keep the Nook for ePubs.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:52 AM   #8
MamaStorm

Thanks, folks.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:28 AM   #9
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
MamaStorm, E-ink readers are front-lit, by the way.

The problem you are facing, which is really quite simple to solve by using calibre, deals with the idea of latching onto a store that most easily supplies the kinds of books you like to read. You state that Amazon is that source.

However, since you already have a nook, the most logical solution (unless you are independently wealthy) is simply to download calibre and become acquainted with that program.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:59 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
However, since you already have a nook, the most logical solution (unless you are independently wealthy) is simply to download calibre and become acquainted with that program.
And to Google "Apprentice Alf" and make the acquaintance of that exceedingly helpful gentleman.