Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-20-2013, 05:15 PM   #1
vugtitan
Addict
vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
kobo mini with 4993 WORKS -YIPPEEEEE.HOW I DID IT

i read a thread how some poor soul put 2 or 3 thousand books on to a kobo mini and it just became a paper weight prone to freezing,etc.

i tried it also.

it was freezing constantly.

this proves linux is just as rubbish as windows when handling large number of files.

also the programmers are a bit stupid as well as the kobo should be working from a master index file table only and rendering the actual file only when it is actually called for.

dumb programmers.

-------------------------

anyway.

i deleted all mobi/epub files in kobo folders.

what i did was just SIDE LOAD RTF AND DOC AND TEXT files only.

i also deleted all image files and dict files and already parsed files from the kobo folders.

i.e a clean slate.

then dumped the rtf,txt,,doc files in the kobo mini.

and voila! i have 4993 text,rtf,doc books in my kobo mini and it does NOT FREEZE anymore.

this is not for people who want to look at book covers ,etc.

i suppose you could put a small number of mobi/epub files as well like 100 but AFTER a 100 books IT WILL START TO SLOW DOWN as others have testified and start to freeze.

what do you think?

Last edited by vugtitan; 05-20-2013 at 05:26 PM.
vugtitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:26 PM   #2
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by vugtitan View Post
what do you think?
I have 448 epubs on my Glo and it is as fast as it was with just 1 epub. As far as I can see the number of epubs has no effect at all on the speed.

Last edited by GeoffR; 05-20-2013 at 05:27 PM. Reason: spelling
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:37 PM   #3
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
I have 448 epubs on my Glo and it is as fast as it was with just 1 epub. As far as I can see the number of epubs has no effect at all on the speed.
It will when you get over 1000 books on it. I love my Sony 350s, but when I hit 1100+ books on it, I noticed it had slowed down. Not unbearably slow, but enough that I noticed. It happens to all ereaders because of how they index books.

That finally got me over my obsession about carrying every title I own with me at all times and now I just keep between 100-200 books on my reader, any reader, at a time. When I finish one, it gets deleted from the device. I wouldn't like to read plain text files either on my reader, I much prefer the formatting options epubs give you.

All my books are backed up on my hard drive with Calibre though. I'm not recommending entirely deleting your books you own. Just get them off your device when finished with them.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:00 PM   #4
vugtitan
Addict
vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
448 epubs may be ok.

i can only go by other peoples post.

they all said it was useless after 1000 or so books were loaded.

so was mine.

it was just total rubbish.kept freezing.

i suggest you try 4480 epubs.
vugtitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:07 PM   #5
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
It is advertised by Kobo as being for "up to 1000 ebooks". I'm having a hard time understanding why it would be the device of choice for anyone wanting to put more than that on the device.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:37 PM   #6
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by vugtitan View Post

i suppose you could put a small number of mobi/epub files as well like 100 but AFTER a 100 books IT WILL START TO SLOW DOWN as others have testified and start to freeze.

what do you think?
100? Seriously? Did you mean 1000?
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:03 PM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I have to say it, but YUCK. The idea of reading text, RTF and Word books on my Touch or Glo when I can have nicely formatted epubs, is horrible.

As to speed, I normally have between 200 and 300 books. It starts low and climbs as I add books. After a while a reason comes up to do a reset. But I have put an SD card in with 500 extra books. I didn't see an real performance issues with that. And there are several people here who have reported having 5000 books. Their issue has been the finding the books in the lists and the use of shelves.

If you think the issue is the covers, you could probably fix this with a change in the database on the device. There is a table that contains all the book details. One of the columns is an image id. Setting that to NULL for a book means that the device doesn't generate cover images for that book. The covers shown will be the same text covers as the books you are reading.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:29 PM   #8
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
It is advertised by Kobo as being for "up to 1000 ebooks". I'm having a hard time understanding why it would be the device of choice for anyone wanting to put more than that on the device.
But my Aura is advertised for 32,000 I think or was when I bought it and slows noticebaly at just over 500 and is close to a minute opening shelves with just over 2000. Putting a largish shelf of 93 books on it added another 30 seconds approximately.

On the mini I had 548 books I think and had made one shelf for all books, and several largish collections for genre. time was IIRC around 45 seconds to open shelves. removing all books shelf made it about 28 seconds and removing genre collections made it about 22 seconds. The reason I had the all books collection was because occassionally I could convince it to sort by latest read instead of latest added I even tried using all kepubs with the kepub driver and it was thw same so I quickly removed most them as I do not like the chapter numbers. I left the 93 book collection as kepubs in the hopes that I would become less irrataed by them, but only finding it more irritating as I read them and they are pretty short books. I guess I want more of the real book experience which has actual page numbers at the bottom of each page.

These numbers were pretty consistant when I put the shelves back and removed them again.

My Sony has 4000+ ebooks on it and takes about 5 seconds to open collections even with a collection with all of the books in it.

I am certainly not going to put rtfs etc on in the interest of anything but it is interesting to hear about.

Oh well it gives me something to experiment with when I am a tad bored.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:40 AM   #9
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
This is what the Kobo ad says now. I think they said the same thing on the site on day one, when I bought mine:

Quote:
Kobo Aura HD goes where you go, making it possible to pack up to 3,000 eBooks in your carry on and enjoy up to two months of uninterrupted reading on a single charge.* With 4 GB of built-in memory, the option to expand with up to a 32 GB Micro SD card, and a long-lasting battery, Kobo Aura HD was designed for mobile reading.
The most I have had on the Aura is about 600 books on the sd card and 60 in main memory. I can't compare it to the Sony reader, but it seemed much faster than the same books on the glo.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:43 AM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
But, the FAQ for the the Aura HD has :

Quote:
How many eBooks can the Kobo Aura HD hold?

Out of the box, Kobo Aura HD comes with the storage capacity for up to 3,000 eBooks. Not enough for you? No problem! You can easily expand its memory with a Micro SD card, giving you storage for up to 30,000 eBooks. If you run out of space, simply delete the eBooks off your Micro SD card. Don't worry, though! Thanks to Kobo Everywhere, your eBooks are stored safely in the cloud, so you can add them back later if you want!
The Glo has the same except the "comes with" quantity is 1000.

Of course, they don't say whether it is practical to have that many books on the device, just that it can store them.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:38 AM   #11
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
If there is a problem with database manipulation speed regarding so many titles, perhaps they'll wise up and go to the directory based management model, or allow you to choose a directory on external SDHC cards and just process it instead of the entire contents of the SDHC. I know they'd need to incorporate a simple file browser, or folder selection, but that shouldn't be a big deal to implement. I imagine allowing the user to save by whichever folder naming criteria they like as now, but selectively opening that folder and that section of the database(built over time only as needed) and only processing that section of the database would speed things up considerably?

Personally, I'd be quite happy with having to save ebooks by category for a speed upgrade, but I can see how it might not be as well received for someone looking to cross reference books across multiple genres. Granted, it would not allow for multiple tag type sorting/storage without requiring a full database, but one could be built up over time as folders are accessed or all at once as now, but selectively at the user's choice if they did a big transfer and wanted them all processed now.

I can see the benefit if one is looking to store a ton of books and drag them wherever they go without having to endure the overhead of processing a ton of books RIGHT NOW, if the database must be rebuilt or the reader factory reset.

Does that make sense? It's really just a speed, convenience factor, but with the same eventual utility as the database is built up either by opening each main level folder or telling the reader to do it all at once as it is now.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:16 AM   #12
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post

My Sony has 4000+ ebooks on it and takes about 5 seconds to open collections even with a collection with all of the books in it.

Helen
My Sony T1 has 2300 books and also takes about 5 seconds to open collections changing page of collection list is instant less than 2 seconds. To open books in library list also takes about 5 seconds and equally quick page turns of book list. Changing sort by Date, Title, Author, File Name or Latest Read also takes about 2 seconds. Ok, I confess it is only this fast because I turned off showing covers. If I had it set to show covers while displaying something over 1000 books in library the reader locks up trying to load all those covers into RAM. The best feature is when scrolling through pages of books in library or collections using slider, book titles or author are shown (depending on sort setting) above scroll bar slider. This is better than nearly useless page number of sort displayed by Kobo above scroll bar slider but could be a patented feature. The T1 has a Max number of collections (book shelves) that can not be exceeded.

Last edited by filmo; 05-21-2013 at 05:21 AM.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:26 AM   #13
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
This topic was about how many books the MINI could hold, in case anyone forgot.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:20 AM   #14
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
We don't need no stinkin' topic!
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:13 PM   #15
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmo View Post
My Sony T1 has 2300 books and also takes about 5 seconds to open collections changing page of collection list is instant less than 2 seconds. To open books in library list also takes about 5 seconds and equally quick page turns of book list. Changing sort by Date, Title, Author, File Name or Latest Read also takes about 2 seconds. Ok, I confess it is only this fast because I turned off showing covers. If I had it set to show covers while displaying something over 1000 books in library the reader locks up trying to load all those covers into RAM. The best feature is when scrolling through pages of books in library or collections using slider, book titles or author are shown (depending on sort setting) above scroll bar slider. This is better than nearly useless page number of sort displayed by Kobo above scroll bar slider but could be a patented feature. The T1 has a Max number of collections (book shelves) that can not be exceeded.
I had tags as collections once and ended up with over 5000 collections on myT1 and it didn't seem to be a problem except for the extreme ugliness of some of the tags. I quickly changed it I think the collection limitation is only with reader software, but could be wrong.
I have covers turned off on my Kobos but still painfully slow.

Pretty sure Sony hasn't patented the slider, it just works better than the Kobo slider.

Kobo has nice displays, unique (at present in popular readers) sizes and reasonable font options, so my liking for them is a bit higher than my dislike, but the margin seems to narrow with time. I guess one just notices the irritating things more. Maybe I should read less and get some excercise

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote