Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 04-24-2013, 12:30 PM   #1
gage8
gage8 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Changing html file names

Hi, just starting in the ePub creation process with Sigil and was wondering, is there any point or advantage to changing the html file names to something more intelligent than index_split_000.xhtml, 001, 002, and so forth?

Any advantage or disadvantage to changing file names to Preface, Chapter1, Chapter2...? Will this have any affect for any eReaders?

Appreciate your feedback.

Thanks,
Daniel
gage8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:42 PM   #2
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
Welcome to Mobileread.

Changing the filenames will not effect the ability of the reader to play them back long as they are correctly recorded in the opf file (Sigil does this automatically so you don't need to worry too much about it).

I always change the file names for books I'm making so that I know what each file is. Makes it much easier to know what I've done.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:45 PM   #3
gage8
gage8 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostyjack View Post
Welcome to Mobileread.

Changing the filenames will not effect the ability of the reader to play them back long as they are correctly recorded in the opf file (Sigil does this automatically so you don't need to worry too much about it).

I always change the file names for books I'm making so that I know what each file is. Makes it much easier to know what I've done.
Thanks for the feedback.
gage8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:14 PM   #4
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
+1 to ghostyjack

I always name them: cover, ded, ack, pro, ch_1, ch_2, epi, ata, etc. I can't stand the standard split names...the same goes for styling classes in the CSS. What on earth does "calibre413" do??? I much prefer having descriptive names.

Cheers!
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:09 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I use a short name
pre
ack
books (bibliography)
for
TOC
aboutA
ch####

same reason as others gave
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:18 AM   #6
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
+1. I also give descriptive names. It makes life a lot easier.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:58 AM   #7
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
The only thing I'd add is to do it at a stage where you are sure what they are. Should I split the intro from the preface or TOC?

It is a good idea to rename since when you split, 001 is no longer chapter 1 usually, etc.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:20 AM   #8
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

One thing I wish sigil would do is allow changing of the default when you rename multiple files. If I could go into settings and tell it to use "Ch_1" instead of "Section0001" that would be great!
Old 04-25-2013, 09:34 AM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
One thing I wish sigil would do is allow changing of the default when you rename multiple files. If I could go into settings and tell it to use "Ch_1" instead of "Section0001" that would be great!
But there are more kinds of Sections than just chapters
I vote for leaving the default.. Sometimes I just do a first rename to shrink the name width to get more width for the BODY of the work
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:47 AM   #10
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

Yes, there are more kinds of sections, but I name other files individually. The only ones I batch rename are the actual Chapters. But that is also why I would like it as a setting that I could change...you could keep your "Section0001" and I could change it to "Ch_01" - or whatever - if I wish.