Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-09-2012, 04:49 PM   #1
Klif
Klif shares his or her toysKlif shares his or her toysKlif shares his or her toysKlif shares his or her toysKlif shares his or her toysKlif shares his or her toysKlif shares his or her toysKlif shares his or her toysKlif shares his or her toysKlif shares his or her toysKlif shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle
Kindle Nicknaming Scheme, Using Kindle with Calibre, and Hacking the Kindle

I'm new to the Kindles and new to the community. I've seen a lot of "K3" and things like that. I just bought the new $69 Kindle a couple of days ago. What is its nickname, what do I refer to it as?

Also: I've been reading via Calibre for a few months now, and I will end up hacking my Kindle (because that's what I do -- I hack things until I break them). Where are the best tips, tricks, etc for each of those?
Klif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:54 PM   #2
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=180113
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:56 PM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

Since you enjoy hacking, most of the developer folks on this forum prefer to refer to a Kindle model by referencing the firmware number, as in K + #. Since the new Kindle you bought runs FW 4.x.x, they refer to it as K4. A model from last year also runs FW 4.x.x, so perhaps you could call this one K4B because it is black and last year's model K4S because it was silver.
Old 09-09-2012, 05:55 PM   #4
Klif
Klif shares his or her toysKlif shares his or her toysKlif shares his or her toysKlif shares his or her toysKlif shares his or her toysKlif shares his or her toysKlif shares his or her toysKlif shares his or her toysKlif shares his or her toysKlif shares his or her toysKlif shares his or her toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Since you enjoy hacking, most of the developer folks on this forum prefer to refer to a Kindle model by referencing the firmware number, as in K + #. Since the new Kindle you bought runs FW 4.x.x, they refer to it as K4. A model from last year also runs FW 4.x.x, so perhaps you could call this one K4B because it is black and last year's model K4S because it was silver.
Sweet. That's the kind of answer I was looking for. So I (will) have a K4, but I won't be surprised if I see variants of that name.

Thanks!
Old 09-09-2012, 07:08 PM   #5
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klif View Post
Sweet. That's the kind of answer I was looking for. So I (will) have a K4, but I won't be surprised if I see variants of that name.

Thanks!
From a developer point of view, the $69 kindle and the previous silver K4 appear identical as far as software support goes. They have the same firmware and the same eink display resolution and the same keyboard buttons. Only the external appearance is different, which does not matter when developing code to run on them.

I would think that the enhanced fonts (which are a selling feature of the new K4) should also work on an older K4 if they were both running the new firmware. I am curious if or when they will push out that new firmware. We shall see...

Last edited by geekmaster; 09-09-2012 at 08:08 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:44 PM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@geekmaster: They already updated the fonts in FW 4.1.0. (A change that *hasn't* been propagated to the Touch... Go figure). Which makes me think they're actually talking about the 4.1.0 changes, unless they shipped a forked FW with the exact same rev/build number...

@Klif: Another sure way to differentiate the devices is by their 'device code'. The easiest way to check said device code is via the S/N of the device: The 'old' K4 S/N begins with B00E = the K4 device code is 0E . Since we're talking about that, I'd like to confirm that it's still B00E on the 'new' K4 (I've heard reports of it being B023, but that seems a huge jump to me... On the other hand, they did release a crapload of Kindle Fires, so, who knows...). Could you check yours?

Last edited by NiLuJe; 09-09-2012 at 09:50 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:47 PM   #7
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
I would call it the $69 Kindle. It's clear and unambiguous; everyone knows it's the new version of last year's unfortunately consensus-named K4NT.

I'm happy that Amazon is calling the new kindle the paperwhite, since we can just call it the PW. (+/- 3G).
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:41 AM   #8
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
I'm happy that Amazon is calling the new kindle the paperwhite, since we can just call it the PW. (+/- 3G).
Or KP (could it be pronounced like variation of "cape" and not like "cay pee" ?)...

Discalimer: I'm not saying that PW is bad.
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:40 PM   #9
Klif

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@geekmaster: They already updated the fonts in FW 4.1.0. (A change that *hasn't* been propagated to the Touch... Go figure). Which makes me think they're actually talking about the 4.1.0 changes, unless they shipped a forked FW with the exact same rev/build number...

@Klif: Another sure way to differentiate the devices is by their 'device code'. The easiest way to check said device code is via the S/N of the device: The 'old' K4 S/N begins with B00E = the K4 device code is 0E . Since we're talking about that, I'd like to confirm that it's still B00E on the 'new' K4 (I've heard reports of it being B023, but that seems a huge jump to me... On the other hand, they did release a crapload of Kindle Fires, so, who knows...). Could you check yours?
Yup! Haven't received it, but "Manage My Kindle" says the serial is "B023" etc.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:49 PM   #10
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Klif: Huh. Thanks for confirming it .
Old 09-12-2012, 04:57 PM   #11
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@Klif: Huh. Thanks for confirming it .
Mine is B023 as well.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:11 PM   #12
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Blossom: Thanks for (another) confirmation .