Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-06-2011, 09:24 PM   #61
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I think Overdrive is getting ready to revamp things for the formats and Kindle as they are doing maintenance Friday, August 5 from 11:00 PM – Saturday, August 6 at 6:00 AM US Eastern Time and Saturday, August 6 from 11:00 PM – Sunday, August 7 at 6:00 AM US Eastern Time.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 03:23 AM   #62
andrys
Explorer
andrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kindles,SurfacePro2,NookColor,Pocket Edge,Samsung 10.1 Tab,S2 phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Speculation - the life blood of future events.
Actually, both Overdrive reps and Amazon Kindle mgmt have made statements, in writing by the former and in a podcast (Len Edgerly's TheKindleChorincles) in the other.

It's not based on 'mere speculation' - there have been clear statements - and some blogs, including mine, reference those statements rather than doing any guesswork though what has been written or recorded does NARROW how things can work then and will also mean it won't work the way others had assumed it would with Adobe etc.

The Kindle Chronicles interviews Amazon's Jay Marine re Library Lending, etc.

Blog article with Overdrive manager's statements
andrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 11:39 AM   #63
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
It's Aug 7, I just downloaded an Overdrive book and everything seemed the same to me. Anybody else?

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 12:09 PM   #64
chas0039
Sceptic
chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: rooted Nooks, retired. JetBook Lite, Kindle 3, 4, Kobo Nia, Libra H2O.
My biggest concern is that the addition of millions and millions of Kindle users to a library system that already has long wait times will just make things worse.

I guess my ability to request an epub title and get it within a few months will shortly be ending. Nice that I can now read library books on Kindle as well as my other readers. Sad now that the wait time will be in terms of years, especially if there is no ability to return the book early. What a major error. I go out of my way to return books early. If everything is 21 days it will just make things worse. 4 copies; 21 day wait per; 70 requests = 1 year wait. I would often see this and yet, I would get the book in 3-4 months.

Not any more, with 6 Million plus Kindle users, short waits are over.
chas0039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 01:08 PM   #65
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
That's been my concern, too, Chas. Supposedly libraries will be able to choose to automatically order more "copies" in response to large request volumes for particular titles. And maybe libraries will devote more of their budget to ebooks withe the kindle influx.

But we all know that most libraries are strapped. So more copies of titles (that will now "expire after x number of checkouts") will have to equate to less total titles in all.

Gonna be interesting. Glad I have a huge backlog of stuff to read anway.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 05:29 PM   #66
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas0039 View Post
My biggest concern is that the addition of millions and millions of Kindle users to a library system
You mean:

Quote:
My biggest concern is that the addition of millions and millions of tax-paying library patrons to a library system
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:31 PM   #67
chas0039
Sceptic
chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40

And your point is......?
Old 08-07-2011, 10:32 PM   #68
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
You mean:
No, he means KINDLE USERS! Get over it. It's a valid label. It has been used and will still be used. I'm a 650/Sony user. You are an Amazon/Kindle user. Give it up. It's a rather silly fight when nothing's wrong.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:33 PM   #69
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
And your point is......?
His point is that he dislikes user of Kindles being called Kindle users.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:17 PM   #70
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
No, he means Library Patrons!

RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 05:04 AM   #71
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
His point is that he dislikes user of Kindles being called Kindle users.
Whereas you simply dislike Kindles.

Last edited by murraypaul; 08-08-2011 at 09:52 AM.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:45 AM   #72
chas0039
Sceptic

I have no idea what you guys are arguing about. To some extent we are all "taxpayers" so any distinction is meaningless.

Anyway, I am no changing my post for something that makes no sense. This change with no provision to return early makes things much worse for all of us (taxpayers if you like).
Old 08-08-2011, 11:10 AM   #73
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post

Stop changing people's quotes. We do not mean what you want us to mean. We mean KINDLE USERS and if you don't like it, go away.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:12 AM   #74
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I have no idea what you guys are arguing about. To some extent we are all "taxpayers" so any distinction is meaningless.

Anyway, I am no changing my post for something that makes no sense. This change with no provision to return early makes things much worse for all of us (taxpayers if you like).
Actually, do we really know that there won't be a way to return early? Nothing has been said one way or another. Maybe Amazon will have something on their website that allows early returns as long as Amazon has access to the Kindle to yank the eBook(s) from it.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:14 AM   #75
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Whereas you simply dislike Kindles.
What is your opinion on a something that tries to take over using vendor lock-in with an obsolete format and wants to stifle creativity?

ePub is not perfect, but Mobipocket is even less so. It's had it. It's time has come and gone. Amazon wants to do away with ePub if they could. They want to rule the eBook world using a format that really needs to go away.

Tags
amazon, kindle, library, tablet